Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Official 1968 Mustang Fastback Restomod Post *Putting it together* (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Official 1968 Mustang Fastback Restomod Post *Putting it together*
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bought this car on my 25th bday (2 years ago)
It came with a C4 and a 8 inch rearend and all the interior parts but no motor.
I talked the guy down BELOW what he bought it for a month earlier [burnout]
 -
Its a 1968 Mustang Fastback and my plans for it are a complete restoration but modified or restomodding it.
 -
 -
I found some dead mice in it when i started stripping her down so i know its been sitting awhile. The guy i bought it off of said he found it in a barn and bought it off the original owner who was trying to restore it.
I stripped it down for mineral blasting
 -
When i got it back i was really shocked, it had a lot more rust outs than i originally thought.
 -
 -
I had to put new floorboards in and weld up some rust outs inside and outside of the body. I started to work on the body and i knew i wanted it to look like a GT500 with the scopes on the sides.
 -

[ January 12, 2009, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: 532Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
I made this hood out of the stock hood but unfortantly i am unable to use it (more on that later)
 -
The body work was half done in this next picture.
 -
At this point i knew i wanted a big block and i wanted to get a 427, i also was going to put a Heidts frontend in it. Well as any car build goes things changed and instead of a Heidts frontend i invested in a Martz frontend and a Martz rearend suspension setup.
 -
 -
I also got aluminum inner panels and an aluminum radiator
 -
Rear setup
 -
315s in the rear
 -

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

I cut the floorboards to install subframe connectors
 -
 -
After finding out 427s with their 450hp were 12,000 dollars i found out about the Ford crate motor 514ci. When i tried getting one of these Ford told me they only make these motors seasonally and i'd have to wait a whole year for their next batch. I found an engine company that said they could build me a 514 so i ordered one. It turned out they couldn't get a 514 crank so they upgraded the crank for free to a 532.
I got Edlebrock heads and an intake for it and i am running the Ford 514ci cam which is a .588 intake and .614 exhaust. The engine shop believed with the combo i wanted to put on it would produce around 600HP N/A
I am going to run a Holley 1050 carb on it which brings me back to my Hood.
 - With the engine in and no carb the top part of the intake is even with the bottom part of the hood.
 -
We measured it and i will need about a 6 inch cowl hood to clear the carb and airfilter.

I got some custom long tube headers made for a 460 in a 68 Fastback which i will need to redo the front pipe for the engine mount location
 -
2/14/08 we painted the interior again
 -
2/15/08 we masked off the entire body and will be spraying primer on it tomorrow.
 -
Then if everything comes out how i believe it will after the block sanding of the entire body we will paint the exterior Laser Red found on 98 Cobras like my dad's Cobra.
 -
I will post updates as i move along in my build of my 1968 Mustang 532 Fastback [Smile]

[ March 18, 2008, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: 532Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Currently i've been wetsanding the primer.
Its not perfect yet but heres what it looked like after the last primer
 -
The other fender looks like this so i only took a picture of one
 -
The other door looks like this
 -
 -
Smoothed out the firewall
 -

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

lowriderryda
¯
Member # 7397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowriderryda  Ford pictures for lowriderryda    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dam hella nice, good luck with the car, that motor is no joke, i got a 67 fastback that i eventually want to do the shelby style. wish i had the cash to do all the stuff you have done love the car
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn! thats sweet... its nice to have the skill to do that yourself...
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Termin8Him  Ford pictures for Termin8Him    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sweet!!! once your done you should restore mine!!
nsty_2000
¯
Member # 7921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nsty_2000  Ford pictures for nsty_2000    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good luck man. looks sickk. [patriot]

--------------------
2000 GT- 373s comming soon/shift kit/stall
2000 Accord- L7 15'/Diamond D3 1000.1
caraudio.com "2kaccord"

Posts: 109 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Sep 2007  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Termin8Him:
sweet!!! once your done you should restore mine!!

LOL i was actually thinking of buying classic mustangs and fixing them up and reselling them but after the Fastback is done i am going to start restoring a 1970 Jaguar E-Type with my dad that my parents got married in.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey man, long time no talk. I just realized you're on Calguns.net too.

Car looks awesome. Been looking for another Mustang since I sold the '03. [Frown]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Hey man, long time no talk. I just realized you're on Calguns.net too.

Car looks awesome. Been looking for another Mustang since I sold the '03. [Frown]

Well i hope you find another Mustang.
Yeah i am on calguns [Smile] I was wondering how many cafords members were on there.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

93 CHP
¯
Member # 8240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 CHP  Ford pictures for 93 CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pretty sick bro
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought you were going to paint it green?

I'd suggest second guessing the laser red, I mean it's an awesome color, I know because my 97 is laser red, but it fades really weird, like the trunk lid, license plate backing, and taillight shield things on my car are all different shades of red in bright sunlight, and the paint on my car is in really good shape!

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

I'd suggest second guessing the laser red, I mean it's an awesome color, I know because my 97 is laser red, but it fades really weird, like the trunk lid, license plate backing, and taillight shield things on my car are all different shades of red in bright sunlight, and the paint on my car is in really good shape!

I was going to paint it the same color as my 95 but my dad's Mustang is a 98 and my Fastback is a 68, 40 years difference so i thought it would be cool to have it the same color.
My dad's Cobra hasn't faded at all so i don't know why yours is.
I am going with 4 coats of base
4 coats of color
4 coats of clear.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 532Fastback:
quote:

I was going to paint it the same color as my 95 but my dad's Mustang is a 98 and my Fastback is a 68, 40 years difference so i thought it would be cool to have it the same color.
4 coats of color
4 coats of clear.

maybe your dads is always garaged? I don't think the previous owners of mine kept it garaged...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/blindbatts/97gt/DSCN2221Large.jpg

I mean don't get me wrong, the paint looks awesome from 20 feet away, but the rear just looks funny with all the different shades in sunlight.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/blindbatts/97gt/DSCN2311.jpg

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 532Fastback:
quote:

4 coats of color
4 coats of clear.

maybe your dads is always garaged? I don't think the previous owners of mine kept it garaged...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/blindbatts/97gt/DSCN2221Large.jpg

I mean don't get me wrong, the paint looks awesome from 20 feet away, but the rear just looks funny with all the different shades in sunlight.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/blindbatts/97gt/DSCN2311.jpg

i don't see anything wrong blind, looks good to me [Smile]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
laser red is my favorite stang color...whenver i had body work done on my 95, shops would instantly warn me of how hard that color is to match and how expensive it is...E9

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Laser Red is a SIK color
I think my Fastback is going to look BADASS in Laser red
 -
It should be painted very very soon! [Eek!]

[ March 20, 2008, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: 532Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have to agree... The strawberry/laser red is a gorgeous color. No OEM color stands out quite like it.

I miss my 92LX and I can't imagine any other 10+ year old 125K mile color to looks quite that good. It hides age well.

-

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I too am a fan of the Laser Red. This is my second Laser red car. First was a '94 Gt.
 -

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Final Primer went on today (I hope) Seems like whenever i block sand it i always find a small imperfection and i sand down to metal to fix it [Frown]
I can't paint it until i have my cowl hood anyway.
Should be getting that about a week or so before i go back to work fulltime.

[ March 23, 2008, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: 532Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

The doors and fenders have been wetsanded and are ready for paint. Going to reprimer the car in some spots today because i sanded down to metal, found a couple of issues as well that i couldn't see without the primer on it so hopefully i fixed them.
Still waiting on my 6 inch cowl hood. Once i get that we're going to put the car together and start painting it Laser Red. i would like to get 4 coats of base, 4 coats of color and 4 coats of clear. Going to buy a gallon of each and hopefully it does that.
I'll post pics of the stuff tonight if i remember to take pictures haha

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you going to remove the drop moldings before paint?

I actually can't remember, are the drip moldings even removable?

Subframes on?

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Are you going to remove the drop moldings before paint?

I actually can't remember, are the drip moldings even removable?

Subframes on?

I have everything you can take off with a tool without damaging the vehicle off.

Subframes are in, check the last couple of pictures, the one of the interior painted black you can see the subframes coming through the floor.
We might start laying paint tomorrow or wednesday. (Door jams, trunk jam, firewall)

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Only going to post two pictures from today. I don't know how to take a picture to show how smooth everything has turned out. So heres just some pictures i like.
 -
 -

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com