Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » HD tv guys in here.... (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: HD tv guys in here....
TrueBlue
¯
Member # 1063

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrueBlue  Ford pictures for TrueBlue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Isnt the only thing in 1080P like blu ray and what not???

Things that have 1080p output are HD-DVD, BluRay, Xbox360, and PS3. But if you get a good 1080P TV it will upconvert all signals (720p, 1080i) to 1080p rather well.

With a 40-42" set I wouldn't bother getting a 1080p. You wouldn't notice much of a difference in a TV that size unless you are sitting 5ft from it.

[ September 30, 2007, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: TrueBlue ]

--------------------
KB '01 GT
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/davis769/GIFS/samj.gif[/IMG]

Posts: 1527 | From: Around the way | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by liftedF150:
should of bought the 1080p version your just wasting your money on old product and in 2 years everything will be 1080.

[patriot]

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

iron281
¯
Member # 80

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron281  Ford pictures for iron281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some info, and why the whole HD issue is not as black & white as some people would like to think.

True HDTV programming is typically broadcast in one of two resolutions: 1080i or 720p. Most networks have opted for the 1080i format, boasting that it provides the highest possible resolution, while ABC, Fox, ESPN/ESPN2, and the National Geographic Channel went for the smoother pictures of 720p. What's the real difference between the two? While 1080i technically offers the most lines of resolution, it's delivered in the old-style interlaced format, meaning that your TV set draws each frame in two passes: once for the even horizontal lines and a second time for the odd lines. The 720p (progressive) format has fewer lines of information than 1080i but draws each frame in a single pass, delivering pictures that look slightly smoother than an interlaced image, especially when there's a lot of movement on the screen. Most videophiles agree that 720p is the superior format, despite 1080i's resolution advantage.

Resolution, or picture detail, is the main reason why HDTV programs look so good. The standard-definition programming most of us watch today has at most 480 visible lines of detail, whereas HDTV has as many as 1,080. HDTV looks sharper and clearer than regular TV by a wide margin, especially on big-screen televisions. It actually comes in two different resolutions, called 1080i and 720p. One is not necessarily better than the other; 1080i has more lines and pixels, but 720p is a progressive-scan format that should deliver a smoother image that stays sharper during motion. Another format is also becoming better known: 1080p, which combines the superior resolution of 1080i with the progressive-scan smoothness of 720p. True 1080p content is scarce outside of Blu-ray, HD DVD and the latest video games, however, and none of the major networks has announced 1080p broadcasts.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html

And why HDMI is what we're stuck with going forward, but not necessarily the ultimate connection:

HDMI is a digital signal format, developed primarily as a platform for the implementation of HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) to prevent consumers from having complete access to the contents of high-definition digital recordings. As one might expect from a standard that was developed to serve the content provider industries, rather than the best interests of the consumer, HDMI is something of a mess. The signal is not robust over distance because it was designed to run balanced when it should have been run unbalanced (SDI, the commercial digital video standard, can be run hundreds of feet over a single coax without any performance issues); the HDMI cable is an unnecessarily-complicated rat's-nest arrangement involving nineteen conductors; switches, repeaters and distribution amplifiers, by virtue of this complicated scheme, are made unnecessarily expensive; and the HDMI plug is prone to falling out of the jack with little more than a light tug. As more and more manufacturers move to implement HDMI on more home theater devices, however, it falls to the consumer to try to make the best of this dubious and poorly-thought-out standard.

Great cabling of all sorts BTW:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi/index.htm

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

Just my $.02. We have a Panny TH-50PZ700U, which is a 1920 x 1080 set, and I can't say enough about it. If you want to cut to the chase with plasma– look at the Panasonics. If money is not an object, take a look at the latest Pioneer Elite Kuro. I thought the Pioneer offered a very slightly better overall picture, but the price difference between the Pioneer PRO-110FD and the Panny TH-50PZ700U is huge.

[ September 30, 2007, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: iron281 ]

Posts: 385 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by iron281:

Just my $.02. We have a Panny TH-50PZ700U, which is a 1920 x 1080 set, and I can't say enough about it. If you want to cut to the chase with plasma– look at the Panasonics. If money is not an object, take a look at the latest Pioneer Elite Kuro. I thought the Pioneer offered a very slightly better overall picture, but the price difference between the Pioneer PRO-110FD and the Panny TH-50PZ700U is huge.

Holy god thats alot of info. Thank you very much.

As far as the Elite series, i used to work for the Good Guys, i LOVE that TV, sadly im no where Near being able to afford one. Would if i could [patriot]

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hahaha this thread reminds me of my hometheater installation days or when I was at BestBuy and CircuitCity. You got a good TV, enjoy it, get better cables for better performace, opt for the HD programming from comcast, dont leave the screen paused on an image for a long time and your good! Dont worry about games burning anything, only LCD I ever say burned was one at BESTbuy that showed there blue logo on the screen 24hrs a day for over a month before it burned itself in.

Ohhh and for whoever said it: a DLP(a samsung owned product)has a LCD screen for display so whatever a LCD does, so does a "DLP"

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
TrueBlue
¯
Member # 1063

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrueBlue  Ford pictures for TrueBlue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Ohhh and for whoever said it: a DLP(a samsung owned product)has a LCD screen for display so whatever a LCD does, so does a "DLP" [/QB]

Huh?????????

--------------------
KB '01 GT
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/davis769/GIFS/samj.gif[/IMG]

Posts: 1527 | From: Around the way | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stevo:
LCDs will NOT burn in. Plasmas and projection TVs are the only ones with the burn in problems. Plasmas also have a lifetime of 5-7 years.

sorry stevo but your wrong, lcd's do burn in, and projection tvs cant burn in because they use mirrors and you cant burn in on a mirror....

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TrueBlue:
quote:

Ohhh and for whoever said it: a DLP(a samsung owned product)has a LCD screen for display so whatever a LCD does, so does a "DLP"

Huh????????? [/QB]
hahahahaha wow ok well first of all a DLP does not use a "LCD" DLP is all mirrors buddy. (dont know who posted the original comment so im just using your quote true)

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Stevo
¯
Member # 972

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo  Ford pictures for Stevo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by liftedF150:
quote:
Originally posted by Stevo:
LCDs will NOT burn in. Plasmas and projection TVs are the only ones with the burn in problems. Plasmas also have a lifetime of 5-7 years.

sorry stevo but your wrong, lcd's do burn in, and projection tvs cant burn in because they use mirrors and you cant burn in on a mirror....
Hey B, read up on this... Plasma vs LCD

--------------------
Av8er for life.....

Myspace is ghey!

Posts: 1072 | From: Conroe, TX | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by iron281:
And why HDMI is what we're stuck with going forward, but not necessarily the ultimate connection:

HDMI is a digital signal format, developed primarily as a platform for the implementation of HDCP (High Definition Content Protection) to prevent consumers from having complete access to the contents of high-definition digital recordings. As one might expect from a standard that was developed to serve the content provider industries, rather than the best interests of the consumer, HDMI is something of a mess. The signal is not robust over distance because it was designed to run balanced when it should have been run unbalanced (SDI, the commercial digital video standard, can be run hundreds of feet over a single coax without any performance issues); the HDMI cable is an unnecessarily-complicated rat's-nest arrangement involving nineteen conductors; switches, repeaters and distribution amplifiers, by virtue of this complicated scheme, are made unnecessarily expensive; and the HDMI plug is prone to falling out of the jack with little more than a light tug. As more and more manufacturers move to implement HDMI on more home theater devices, however, it falls to the consumer to try to make the best of this dubious and poorly-thought-out standard.

pretty damn good post...personally i noticed RGB was clearer than HDMI on my setup. i think this post explained it.
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html?tag=dir

Check out that link and cnet in general for tips, comparisons and reviews of products. I never invest in new technology or make major purchases of tech gear until I scour this site. Their reviews are pretty much spot on.

tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html?tag=dir

Check out that link and cnet in general for tips, comparisons and reviews of products. I never invest in new technology or make major purchases of tech gear until I scour this site. Their reviews are pretty much spot on.

that site is good, but this is better
http://www.avsforum.com/

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com