Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » HD tv guys in here.... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: HD tv guys in here....
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im awaiting comcast to bring my a new HD box in the next few days,
I bought a
40" Samsung LCD... on a budget so i got the 720P version rather than spend another couple hundred to a grand on the 1080P.

Anyone else not upgrade their cables at first? I neglected to buy mine, which i will tomorrow. Did picture quality/ able to see rough pixels go away if anyone else did this too.? (more along lines of DVD images)

-

[ September 29, 2007, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: bottled95GT?? ]

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N0SL050  Ford pictures for N0SL050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey whats goin on.. I just bought a samsung as well 42' plasma, found a deal to good to pass up..
The comcast hd box doesnt use the normal coax cable. You can use it but the picture quality is shitty. It comes with component cables.. You can go buy a nicer pair somewhere but they should supply you with some. There is a differnce from the regular cable channels. But the "hd" channels are Much different the picture quality is so much clearer and crisp. Congrats on the buy money well spent

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Posts: 460 | From: Martinez ,Ca | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
should of bought the 1080p version your just wasting your money on old product and in 2 years everything will be 1080.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by liftedF150:
should of bought the 1080p version your just wasting your money on old product and in 2 years everything will be 1080.

im aware that technology gets better..., but for my uses, 720P works great for now. In 2 years ill have more money and buy a bigger 1080P [Big Grin]

plus if i dont see an improvement in the picture quality with all my cables and boxes installed next week, ill take it back [Razz]

--------------------
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you wont see a difference with 720p, only way your going to see a difference in picture is if you got to a 1080i/p tv.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the wire they usually supply is RGB - red green blue...which WILL enable the true HD channels...the next best wire is HDMI.

[ September 29, 2007, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: BUKSING ]

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Comcast stinks, just ask HaulinAssMotorsports!

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Isnt the only thing in 1080P like blu ray and what not???

I have a 1080i 55 inch and am very very happy with it but I am not a big HD fan to be honest. I just hate looking at small screens.

[ September 29, 2007, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: turbo50 ]

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can't you just go to the nearest Comcast store and pick up an HD receiver?

If you can, cop yourself an HDMI cable, get an HD box with an HDMI output and DVR. Set the box to 1080i, set your TV to widescreen and that should be decent enough to watch your Sunday games... of course, channels 701 and up.

[ September 29, 2007, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Five Decimal Zero ]

Posts: 972 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the point of an HD box if you don't have an HDTV? Thats like buying a motor for a car you don't own... [Confused] 720 is NOT HD... Well Technicaly it is but not much better than a 480. I would bet my Sony Flat Screen thats 480 looks better than most TV's in 720. Hell, 1080I is not even full HD. You need a TV that is 1080P for full HD, but at least a 1080I for HD.

Also I think, and someone correct me if im wrong but a Comcast HD box only goes up to 1080I NOT P... Yet

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to the average eye... comcast hd and any HD-TV is pretty damn clear...
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got me a Samsung 50" DLP 1080p myself(couldnt pass up the deal $1199). Everything being brodcasted on HD channels are only being broadcasted in 780p anyway. But playing a Blu-ray disc on my PS3 looks AMAZING at 1080p!

For your HD cable box, just get a HDMI cable and you should be good to go.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 720p TV is HD, it is capable of showing 1080i, which is High Def, no need to get a DVR anymore just for the HD as the new model HD Receivers have HDMI, but why not pay the extra $5 for DVR and have the ability to record, Comcast does stock HDMI cables though, just not all techs have them in their trucks, usually they are only given by request.

[ September 29, 2007, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Trunkster ]

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:
I just got me a Samsung 50" DLP 1080p myself(couldnt pass up the deal $1199). Everything being brodcasted on HD channels are only being broadcasted in 780p anyway. But playing a Blu-ray disc on my PS3 looks AMAZING at 1080p!

For your HD cable box, just get a HDMI cable and you should be good to go.

your wrong all hd chanels are broadcasted in 1080i not 720, you only see 720 when it goes to commercial. And yes TV can not do 1080p but high def players can, but soon enough tv will be capable of doing full 1080p. 720 is not high def and you will not see a difference from your old tv.

[ September 29, 2007, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: liftedF150 ]

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As stated 1080i is the broadcast used currently, unless you have Xbox360 or PS3 [patriot] Get the HDMI(High Definition Media Interface) if you want to actually see and hear the reason you got the TV. If you are using the standard AV plugs(Yellow, Red, WHite) you might as well have bought an old school TV. In order to get the picture clarity available you must get Component( also gonna need audio cables then ) or the HDMI. Good luck have fun, ohhh and make sure comcast gives you the HDMI receiver, they try and pawn off the old school component ones often

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

also i hope you dont plan on playing to many video games on your tv because you will get burn in with LCD and your tv will go bye bye faster.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

quote:
also i hope you dont plan on playing to many video games on your tv because you will get burn in with LCD and your tv will go bye bye faster.

+Game mode enhances dark areas, sharpens the picture, speeds up the image processing response and enhances the sounds of your games
Ultrafast 8ms response time for smooth image reproduction and no burn in.

--------------------

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

quote:
Originally posted by bottled95GT??:
quote:

+Game mode enhances dark areas, sharpens the picture, speeds up the image processing response and enhances the sounds of your games

hate to break it to ya but it will burn it eventually, its in the design of a LCD the crystals arnt ment for it, just like plasmas, the only tv that will not show burn in is DLP and CRT.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bottled95GT??:
quote:

hate to break it to ya but it will burn it eventually, its in the design of a LCD the crystals arnt ment for it, just like plasmas, the only tv that will not show burn in is DLP and CRT.
Are you sure about that? A majority of computer monitors are LCD now and don't suffer the burn-in problems you speak of... and they can handle much higer resolutions as well.

and FWIW, I have had a sony 50inch 3LCD hd tv for about 2 years now and have played many hours of gaming goodness on it and have not had any burn-in what so ever.

[ September 29, 2007, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1080p vs 720p on a 40" inch screen is indistinguishable to the average person. I would only buy a 1080p TV if it was 50" or over. Second, Bay Area networks have a mixture of 1080i and 720p broadcasts, and no 1080p. If you're getting your HD signal through a cable company, I'm sorry, but you're not getting the same high quality signal as what's being broadcast over the air. Most cable companies add a touch of compression to their digital broadcasts.

If you want the ultimate setup, use an antennae along with a computer based DVR (Myth TV, Beyond TV, etc) with no monthly service fees. I use Beyond TV and can record 3 HD and 3 regular cable channels all at the same time and stream to any room in the house.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
tonster
¯
Member # 6093

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonster  Ford pictures for tonster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
1080p vs 720p on a 40" inch screen is indistinguishable to the average person. I would only buy a 1080p TV if it was 50" or over. Second, Bay Area networks have a mixture of 1080i and 720p broadcasts, and no 1080p. If you're getting your HD signal through a cable company, I'm sorry, but you're not getting the same high quality signal as what's being broadcast over the air. Most cable companies add a touch of compression to their digital broadcasts.

If you want the ultimate setup, use an antennae along with a computer based DVR (Myth TV, Beyond TV, etc) with no monthly service fees. I use Beyond TV and can record 3 HD and 3 regular cable channels all at the same time and stream to any room in the house.

i agree, definitely go with an antenna to get the best hd signal. you'll definitely have to get an hd cable box to get other channels in hd, but to get network channels all that is needed is an antenna. as for not going with 1080p, don't sweat it, only on larger tv's will the differences be noticeable. and game as much as you want with your new tv as current lcd technology is very resistant to burn in. in fact plasmas are typically more susceptible to burn in, but honestly that's after years of use. the only thing to worry about on an lcd is getting dead pixels.
Stevo
¯
Member # 972

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo  Ford pictures for Stevo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LCDs will NOT burn in. Plasmas and projection TVs are the only ones with the burn in problems. Plasmas also have a lifetime of 5-7 years.

--------------------
Av8er for life.....

Myspace is ghey!

Posts: 1072 | From: Conroe, TX | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

HD box with the HD channels looks awesome through the HDMI cable they supplied, dvd player only uses S video, not hdmi, next dvd player will, but the S video still looks alot better than the standard yellow video cable. [patriot]

[ September 29, 2007, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: bottled95GT?? ]

--------------------

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take it back and but i tv from me, or a dlp sony dvd player for $90 [Wink] i got the hook up
TrueBlue
¯
Member # 1063

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrueBlue  Ford pictures for TrueBlue    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stevo:
LCDs will NOT burn in. Plasmas and projection TVs are the only ones with the burn in problems. Plasmas also have a lifetime of 5-7 years.

Partially correct. Old school CRT projection TV's have burn in but I don't think they make those anymore. The new style Projection do not have burn in (Sony 3LCD, Sony SXRD, and DLP).

--------------------
KB '01 GT
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/davis769/GIFS/samj.gif[/IMG]

Posts: 1527 | From: Around the way | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com