Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » coast high (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: coast high
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Apexmotorsports:
quote:
Originally posted by CDT:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stoauto:
easy just like this... chp strikes again. [Roll Eyes]

It's pretty obvious you are not "Rob" and really do not represent him well. Do Rob a favor and start growing up...
Everyone that has posted a complaint has merit, as well as everyone that has posted a complement. Is there really a need to attack a person??
Arlie,

All I am going to say is "IF" I had am employee like "STOAUTO" I would fire or repremand him for representing the company in a bad way. Rob has a great shop and to have an idiot like STOAUTO shoot off his mouth like a 14 year child is a total disservice to his company. If you are going to represent the company you work for in public do it in a professional manner because it reflects on your employer.

how do you know Rob has a great shop? How long have you known him? Bought any motors from there?

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
how do you know Rob has a great shop? How long have you known him? Bought any motors from there? [/QB]

I have heard good things about his shop from numerous customers. I have not bought any motors from him BUT do not need to to know if his shop is any good. Do you have a problem with me giving some praise to another shop?

[ January 16, 2006, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Detonation does not CAUSE this:  -
Detonation is the RESULT of what happened.

Here's 2 articles relating to end gap damage. These articles don't apply to hypereutectic pistons only.

Here's one from Keith Black/Silvolite:
http://www.strokerkits.com/new_page_77.htm

This article comes from Speed-o-Motive:
http://racingarticles.com/article_racing-10.html
I'll save you some reading and just highlight the important part.
"Top Ring End Gap is often a major player when it comes to piston problems. Top ring butting under high load and heat conditions can destroy the piston top land. Most top land damage on race pistons appears to lift into the combustion chamber. The reason is that the top ring ends butt and stick tight at top-dead-center. Crank rotation pulls the piston down the cylinder while leaving at least part of the ring and top land at top-dead. Actual end gap will vary depending on the engine heat load."

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL sorry ST wrong person. well 93pony it still isn't to late for you to go back to the profession you were trained in LOL. I think in the engine building buisness you are up to a apprentice buy now ususaly takes 5 years to make a journyman. I don't know what else to tell you guy's Fostang took it to a machinist he concluded the same thing? anyhow I hope it all gets fixed soon. If a piston ring butts up can it break? maybe bend? doesn't look bent or broke to me. seems kind of funny to me it butted up and expanded with enough force to lift the top of the piston clean off(eventhough it looks melted off) and still looks ok [Roll Eyes] thats amazing. Read the part of your own story were it says it leaves part of the ring at TDC also.

[ January 16, 2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post 
When gasses get trapped between the top & second rings the rings 'flutter' & cylinder pressure is lost. (this is precisely the reasoning behind gapping the second ring wider than the top) Gasses alone can not cause that kind of damage. Besides that....if there was extreme gas pressure between the top/second rings that would also mean the ring gaps closed, otherwise the pressure would have an escape route.

2stangs:
Apprentice or not, I know how to build engines....not just engines, but high performance engines. I've seen more types of engine failures in 2 years than most in this hobby see in 10 years.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this post has turned into a "I know more then you post" I think the facts have been stated, almost everyone agrees the rings were damaged from detonation...Sean just because you work at HCI doesn't make you the master engine builder get over it and let this thread die.

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2stangs, you bust me up. If you can't see the top land/crown deformed, you need glasses. Tell me how detonation causes the piston crown to go UP... Prove your point or stay out of it.

Riddler, this thread is dealing with 2 concerns. Why the piston did this, and CHP's problems with customer service and shipping. I personally have had a bad experience with CHP when I ordered my kit, so it doesn't come as a surprise that Sal is having a problem.

I don't know Shawn from Adam, but he (and I) are correct about what CAUSED the original problem. Don't worry about how much experience he has, worry about how little you have. DETONATION WAS NOT THE CAUSE OF THE PISTON FAILURE.

There are a LOT of opinions on this site, but no one will ever step up and prove their point. If you can't, stay quiet and learn something.

Mark O'Neal
¯
Member # 6179

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark O'Neal  Ford pictures for Mark O'Neal  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I looks like a massive leanout to me, because of the way the aluminum is granulated where it flamed out. Thet thing got very hot.

But detonation is a possibility, especially with too tight of an end gap. Sometimes the fuel will ignite between the top and second...but usually that's a bigger break.

So, since it's right on the ring land, I'll go with a tuning error.

Posts: 14 | From: Torrance, Ca. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Mark O'Neal
¯
Member # 6179

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark O'Neal  Ford pictures for Mark O'Neal  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the rings were butted the ends will be shiney and the edges of the ring are sharp as hell.
Mark O'Neal
¯
Member # 6179

quote:
I'm sure someone will call him and tell him like they did last time.

Maybe they will realize that they need to improve their shipping and packaging department.

Well, no one called and I already realize that each and every employee I have makes mistakes.

If you'd send a resume, perhaps we can come to terms and you can straighten shipping out for me.

Bear in mind that since we ship over a hundred boxes a day, statistics says we'll screw the pooch on about seven.....

[Smile]

Mark O'Neal
¯
Member # 6179

quote:
They were gapped wide.....

.028 top ring and .038 second.

All of the probe piston failures I have seen have come from the same area. Seems to be that by adding the additional notch for canted heads. It is in fact weakening the pistons.

Then to add instult to injury they have screwed up the order several times.

The ring gap is okay. It has nothing to do with the valve pockets.

Too much air...not enough gap.

It's official......leanout.

I'd solve the shipping problem too.....but I don't know who any of you Are...except Shaun and Mike.

Why don't you use your names........

Mark O'Neal
¯
Member # 6179

quote:
They were gapped wide.....

.028 top ring and .038 second.

All of the probe piston failures I have seen have come from the same area. Seems to be that by adding the additional notch for canted heads. It is in fact weakening the pistons.

Then to add instult to injury they have screwed up the order several times.

The ring gap is okay. It has nothing to do with the valve pockets.

Too much air...not enough gas.

It's official......leanout.

I'd solve the shipping problem too.....but I don't know who any of you Are...except Shaun and Mike.

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't worry Shawn the better you get the less engine failures you will see(nice cheap shot buy me LOL) You seem to be getting it down pretty well but Never feel you can't learn anything.
It's offical I was correct

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know shit compared to a lot of engine masters...but I'm learning...evrey day.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the NTSB should use 320x240 grainy resolution .jpg's for root cause analysis based on the assumptions of a lot of people in this thread.

Sure would clear up a lot of time/effort/expense.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark O'Neal:

PM sent Hopefully I can get this squared away asap.

I would love to be done with this beast.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to contact Mark call him up at Coast/ Probe. He's very busy and does not check this site all the time.
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you want to contact Mark call him up at Coast/ Probe. He's very busy and does not check this site all the time.

I'm sure you can call him again and let him know.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
quote:

I'm sure you can call him again and let him know.
+

Sorry.. I did not call him. If you want to call him you can do so yourself.

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
how do you know Rob has a great shop? How long have you known him? Bought any motors from there?

I have heard good things about his shop from numerous customers. I have not bought any motors from him BUT do not need to to know if his shop is any good. Do you have a problem with me giving some praise to another shop? [/QB]
not at all. I just laugh when you act like you really know someone that you dont. Your praise wont help you get a block machined for free..

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark O'Neal:

PM sent Hopefully I can get this squared away asap.

I would love to be done with this beast.

maybe they will step up and send you a brand new set.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can see if I can expedite this for you

Now he can call himself [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

quote:
quote:
quote:

I have heard good things about his shop from numerous customers. I have not bought any motors from him BUT do not need to to know if his shop is any good. Do you have a problem with me giving some praise to another shop?

not at all. I just laugh when you act like you really know someone that you dont. Your praise wont help you get a block machined for free.. [/QB]
I could really care less about getting a block machined free.. It doesn't matter what you believe or think. Our customers, the manufanufacturers, and Drive Magazine, SVTOA, and others have spoken with their support for us. When you can garner 1/10th of the support we recieve then talk... When you are chosen to host one of the national Mustang Club shows then we can talk... When you have been chosen to write a monthly article in a National Magazine like Drive then we can talk.... Go worry about your own business instead of mine... when you have accomplished 1/10th of what I have accomplished in business then talk to me.. otherwise just keep it to yourself.

It's pretty obvious you are pretty envious of me and Apex. Why else would you take pot shots at me and Apex every chance you get... Do I take pot shots at you or CDT?.... nope.

[ January 16, 2006, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dag302  Ford pictures for Dag302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, where did this thread go [Confused]

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

Posts: 2842 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
I can see if I can expedite this for you

Now he can call himself [Confused]
I PM'd him asking if he wanted me to help him...I got no response. When he did not return my PM it appeared to me he did not want my help. I replied to his post by telling him Mark O'Neil doesn't frequent this board often and to have him call Mark.... he then posts a sarcastic reply. If he wants my help he is more than welcomed to call me and ask me. And I will be more than happy to help him.

[ January 16, 2006, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com