Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » coast high (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: coast high
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man I've been waiting for over a week for them to send fed ex to pick up the new pistons that I ordered. To replace these pieces of shit ones.

Called yesterday and that I have to wait another week. BS I tell you.

First they send me the wrong side then they send me the correct side but dished although on the invoice they have the correct part number.

-

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn that piston is FUBAR. Hope you get everything figured out.
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
Damn that piston is FUBAR. Hope you get everything figured out.

Pssh, nothing a little JB weld couldnt fix right up!! [worship]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree its [BS flag]
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Detonation is a biotch!! [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
chp strikes again.
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
next they will tell you that you didnt order it. then it will show up.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

Thats what happens when you let an idiot drive a car.

"I put 100 octane....I swear....I didn' hear anything"

......right buddy. I find it funny how all of the probe pistons break in the exact same place.

Your right CDT [Wink]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post 
That's what happens when the rings are gapped too tight + detonation.
The ring ends 'but-up', flex & pop the top ring land off.

Gap the new rings larger!

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Man I've been waiting for over a week for them to send fed ex to pick up the new pistons that I ordered. To replace these pieces of shit ones.

If you like I can see if I can expedite this for you and see what is happening. I can honestly tell you UPS & FED-X sometimes take a LOOOOONNNG time to do a merchandise pickup which sucks because it makes the reseller look bad. We have had this happen to us at my other business.. Surpluscomputers.com Please PM me your details if you would like our help.. I will need your Name, address, date of order, if it was pistons only or a complete block/engine, invoice #, who you have been talking to, and your phone number.

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

Thats what happens when you let an idiot drive a car.

"I put 100 octane....I swear....I didn' hear anything"

......right buddy.....

That sucks..

You really do not have to worry about them taking care of you. If the product is defective they will replace it. I have seen them replace a short block that was OVER 4 years old. Mark O'Neil (Owner of Coast/ Probe) is a pretty stand up guy and always stands behind his product. We have sold over 25 of their engines/ shortblocks and not have had "1" issue.

[ January 14, 2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
That's what happens when the rings are gapped too tight + detonation.
The ring ends 'but-up', flex & pop the top ring land off.

Gap the new rings larger!

ring gaps were perfect right to specs. I had another 331 exact same stuff with the same gap (wider for the nitrous in mind) and they never did this in 10K. Even under nitrous use.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The top piston shows the cause. The ring gap was too narrow. Even .001" too narrow can end up like what you have there. The bottom piston just shows how detonation occurs with nice sharp edges left from the broken ring land.

Modded Lightnings and 03-04 cobras come in to our shop weekly with the same results. The added boost and resulting temps with a tight factory end gap = broken pistons.

And, keep in mind how flexible these stock blocks are. You might be surprised how much the cylinder walls can deflect under high cylinder pressures and temps.

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
The top piston shows the cause. The ring gap was too narrow. Even .001" too narrow can end up like what you have there. The bottom piston just shows how detonation occurs with nice sharp edges left from the broken ring land.

Modded Lightnings and 03-04 cobras come in to our shop weekly with the same results. The added boost and resulting temps with a tight factory end gap = broken pistons.

And, keep in mind how flexible these stock blocks are. You might be surprised how much the cylinder walls can deflect under high cylinder pressures and temps.

Exactly. [Smile]

What were the rings gapped at?
Different ring materials call for different gaps. Recomended ring gaps can vary greatly from manufacture to manufacture.
For reference I gapped my wife's 347 Perfect circle Moly rings (w/the same probe pistons in your pics) to .024/.024. Some would say this is too wide...I say it gives me room for error.....or a nitrous shot.

Honestly, if I pulled those pistons out of a motor I built, it'd be my fault for the ring gaps (if they were too tight), but your fault for the detonation. Either way, I don't see how it's Probe's issue unless they built the shortblock block....& even then it's questionable. Detonation creates tremendous heat, which in turn can close the ring gaps (even gaped on the wide side) & causes the damage you see.

Probe pistons are not pieces of shit.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to politly say you guy's are full of crap buy saying that was caused buy the ring gap to tight. Give me a break how can you determan that buy looking at that piston.. JMO

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
I have to politly say you guy's are full of crap buy saying that was caused buy the ring gap to tight. Give me a break how can you determan that buy looking at that piston.. JMO

And I will politely say that you don't know anything about building engines. Now before you go and tell me that you have built hundreds of engines, and this has never happened to you, look closely at the top piston in the picture. The piston crown is pushed UP above the top ring land. Since we both don't know crap, maybe you can enlighten us on how a piston can do this without the end gaps butting together, causing the piston to deform and break.
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by stoauto:
chp strikes again.

How can you say that? The engine had detonation.. ANY piston would have problems with that!

There is nothing wrong with Probe pistons. Probe probably makes some of the very best pistons for the money. Many shops in the area AND on this board use their pistons including HCI.

[ January 15, 2006, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Either way, I don't see how it's Probe's issue unless they built the shortblock block....& even then it's questionable. Detonation creates tremendous heat, which in turn can close the ring gaps (even gaped on the wide side) & causes the damage you see.

Probe pistons are not pieces of shit.

Thank you Sean.. [Smile]
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Apexmotorsports:
quote:
chp strikes again.

How can you say that? The engine had detonation.. ANY piston would have problems with that!

There is nothing wrong with Probe pistons. Probe probably makes some of the very best pistons for the money. Many shops in the area AND on this board use their pistons including HCI.

I think he is talking about their crappy customer service and ability to get an order right.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CDT:
quote:
quote:
chp strikes again.

I think he is talking about their crappy customer service and ability to get an order right.
sounds like taco bell.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

They were gapped wide.....

.028 top ring and .038 second.

All of the probe piston failures I have seen have come from the same area. Seems to be that by adding the additional notch for canted heads. It is in fact weakening the pistons.

Then to add instult to injury they have screwed up the order several times.

[ January 15, 2006, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Fostang ]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

No doubt about it, Mark needs to 'kick some ass' in the shipping/packaging department. It seems 50% of the time we get the wrong parts.....sometimes even packaged in the correct boxes.

.028/.038 is definately not tight! Unless you were pushing a shit-load of power.

Still, the motor detonated severely which creates tremendous heat along with 'rattling' the piston in the bore.

The rings DID but-up, & there was detonation present. That is why the pistons failed. Any other piston (JE, Ross, SRP, CP) would have met the same fate in this situation.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
chp strikes again.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] easy just like this... chp strikes again. [Roll Eyes]
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

quote:
quote:
quote:
chp strikes again.

a 5 yr old kid can do a better job at processing orders and getting an order right. they have PATHETIC customer service, and cant get shit right half the time or better. and for that i dont do buisness with them. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

[ January 15, 2006, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

87GeeTee
¯
Member # 5905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87GeeTee  Ford pictures for 87GeeTee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
quote:
quote:
quote:
chp strikes again.

sounds like taco bell.
Like last night for me at Taco Bell. [Mad]

--------------------
Member #: 5145
PWA Owner & SRA Member
Two-Gun Motorsports

2002 GT; Gone But Not Forgotten
1987 GT Vert (Sold!)

Posts: 4278 | From: San Pablo | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

So we can all agree though that CHP has crappy customer service an they lack the ability to get an order right.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com