Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car was a big dissapointment at the strip..whats the next best step? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Car was a big dissapointment at the strip..whats the next best step?
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am doing a motor swap this weekend. if you want help it will have to be another time if you want to do it by yourself have at it (saturday) valve events in 3.0 btdc open 38.0 abdc close
ex 49.0 bbdc opens (4.0)btdc if the valves events are within 1-2 degrees how can the cam be advanced 10 degrees ????

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
I am doing a motor swap this weekend. if you want help it will have to be another time if you want to do it by yourself have at it (saturday) valve events in 3.0 btdc open 38.0 abdc close
ex 49.0 bbdc opens (4.0)btdc if the valves events are within 1-2 degrees how can the cam be advanced 10 degrees ????

...I'll wait till you plan on taring the motor down. Don't really feel like putting it all back together after I degree it. [Wink]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have done them with the head on Its not that hard.

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I have done them with the head on Its not that hard.

Oh yeah, I know...I made my own piston stop out of an old sparkplug. [Smile]
But...with the heads off it's a bit more accurate.
I'm also building an engine this weekend. But, I'd spare 2-3 hours to degree your cam...
Ah hell. All I'll have to do is pull off the dampner, upper intake, VC, & a few other things.

Alright, I'll do it this weekend!

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Do I have to put it back together??? [Big Grin]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

I have a piston stop, and all the tools have at it.

--------------------

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why must we take apart the motor...I really really want it [Big Grin]

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
I have a piston stop, and all the tools have at it.

Check your PMs. [Big Grin]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is the entire run sawson:
run1 run2
r/t 1.000 .716
60' 2.212 2.236
330 5.936 5.965
1/8 9.002 9.049
mph 80.26 80.26
1000 11.674 11.708
1/4 13.924 13.961
mph 100.31 100.11

I know the RT's arn't great but I really dont concern myself much with them since all I cared about is ET/mph.

--------------------
90GT: h/c/i
05 wrx

Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by The Rick:
run1 run2
r/t 1.000 .716
60' 2.212 2.236
330 5.936 5.965
1/8 9.002 9.049
mph 80.26 80.26
1000 11.674 11.708
1/4 13.924 13.961
mph 100.31 100.11

I know the RT's arn't great but I really dont concern myself much with them since all I cared about is ET/mph.

I can see right away you're in need of a tune. You should be gaining 22mph from 1/8th to 1/4.
I'd definately try dropping the FP....& messing with timing.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
quote:
run1 run2
r/t 1.000 .716
60' 2.212 2.236
330 5.936 5.965
1/8 9.002 9.049
mph 80.26 80.26
1000 11.674 11.708
1/4 13.924 13.961
mph 100.31 100.11

I can see right away you're in need of a tune. You should be gaining 22mph from 1/8th to 1/4.
I'd definately try dropping the FP....& messing with timing.

I believe the car is at 12 degrees timing.

To be clear: I need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to adjust fuel pressure right? haha, see how little I know about this shit? [Frown]

--------------------
05 wrx

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
To be clear: I need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to adjust fuel pressure right? haha, see how little I know about this shit? [Frown]

That's why you ask question at places like this. we may give each other a hard time, but we are serious about making power and helping ohters to do the same. Yes, get a Kirban.
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Yeah, you need an adjustable regulator.
& bump that timing up to 14-15! There's a MPH or 2 right there!

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

I have a new aeromotive but it didn't fit with the intake [Mad] Where to order a kirban?

Hey, if you guys ever need home audio/home theater help, look me up...that's my profession for about 4 years now. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
05 wrx

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

quote:

Is that still safe on 91 octane? I don't hear any pinging now but the car is damn loud.

--------------------
05 wrx

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For sure its a combonation of several factors. If you're running 12" timing, stick in some 87 octane. I'm still not sure this will get you the 60ish rwhp you're missing. Something(s) are wrong for sure.
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
quote:

Is that still safe on 91 octane? I don't hear any pinging now but the car is damn loud.
Yeah, that's safe. Hell, I bet you could run 18 & not here a hint of detonation. Although, going too far advanced you'll lose power.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

F) Do have 'basic' mods like pullies, 180 thermo, and a K&N right?

I dont have pullies but have the other two. I was told that with a stock radiator a water pump pulley is not that great of an idea and since I did run two amps before a alt pulley might not be a great idea. I only use one small amp now with a removeable sub box (figure about 3-5lbs extra weight)

--------------------
05 wrx

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Hey, some of you have similar combos. 1st and second on the street seem very very strong compared to what it was at before when I only had gears, prochamber, shifter.

Should it really be alot more difference then it already is? The car seems very strong to me up until ~80mph then it seems to slow WAY down and not really pull that well.

--------------------
05 wrx

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the pullies ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're actually running less effective compression than stock. Don't worry about cooling. For all you know, you could actually be running lean! Pro M sends out some jacked MAF's some times. You never truely know with out a wide band.

Sounds like your car just needs some basic old fashion 5.O tuning.

Get your idle problem taken care of?

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Sounds like your car just needs some basic old fashion 5.O tuning.

Get your idle problem taken care of?

No, I actually didn't do anything yet. I'm planning on buying the TPS sensor tomorrow since I actually get a day off for once. I got my boss to let me go early today so I could go drag racing [patriot]

Damnit, this is what I hate about the car hobby...it takes to much damn time [Wink]

--------------------
05 wrx

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

About running rich/lean: my car does smell kinda like gas a little when I'm going through a drive through etc...is that a sign either way?

--------------------
05 wrx

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Really only if you're rich/lean above 4,000 RPM makes a difference on your trap speed, so while your nose may be right at idle/cruise.... you simply need a wide band O2 sensor above 4,000 RPM.

I saw a NA 5.O on the dyno that was so lean, it picked up 35 rwhp from richening up the air fuel ratio [Eek!]

The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yah, i've been hoping bill does the dyno day for about a month now

*hinthint* [Big Grin]

--------------------
05 wrx

Stimson
_
Member # 51

The guy who gained 35 rwhp ( forgot his name, he was in Strictly 5.O had had edelbrock heads) could have gained about 30 rwhp of it with old fashion 5.O tuning. Don't take your car on the dyno until your bugs are all sorted out and you're running 105+ mph trap speeds.

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com