Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Cotto vs Pacquiao (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Cotto vs Pacquiao
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blackfifty:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
Couldn't help but say I told u so for those that said cotto is too big and strong blah blah he's not in the same class as pacman. I've been boxing all my life and it's exciting seeing someone like paquiao bringing back the sport of boxing. P.S. I'm not phillipino I just respect thr hell out of pacman

Man you honestly cannot sit here and say you knew the fight would be as one sided. I fly the [BS flag]

Cotto has fought fast and powerful South paws. Fought 2 cats we know Manny wont fight. Not taking anything from Manny. As he is a true great and love him for it. But just like I wanna see Floyd fight real welters. I wanna see him do the same instead of match weights and catch weights. BS. Fight. I will reserve judgement in this weight class until he knocks off the king of the class and Cotto was 3 and maybe fourth on that list. And I have boxed for years and recently got my old ass back in the ring. And have watched boxing since Aaron Pryor and those mofos ruled this weight class.

Na bro no B.S. I've been saying all along when cotto took that beating from margarito i knew he would never be the same again. And thats good that you got back in the ring its the best sport on earth but i've probably fought more fights than you've watched and you learn through experience not watching.
lmao...yea I cannot say boxing was my first sport. But I can tell you this, I know the sport very well. And if you predicted this one-sided bout you are a modern day Ms. Cleo...lol. But yea not dilute the situation, the end result is Cotto retire, Manny return to the lower weight classes. Nothing happening for him at welter. I attribute this to the same effect as when RJJ won the Heavyweight title. Nothing was happening for him but to vacate it. Let me ask you this. Who do you feasibly see him beating at welter now that is worth while seeing [Big Grin]
rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmadison007  Ford pictures for rmadison007    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not surprising...I really wish Cotto would have won, but as stated before, styles create fights and Cotto's Style works well for Manny's Style...Someone who moves forward with poor defense...I hope they can put together the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight, roach wants it...Regardless of the outcome of this fight...Pacquiao will be picked a part by Mayweather...and it will be a boring fight that will only be exciting if Pacquiao gets knocked out...he will not touch Mayweather...I guarantee Roach will begin by verbally attacking the way Mayweather illegally uses his left elbow in defense...Great fight though...I think Cotto's corner should have stop the fight in the 9th, 10th, and 11th...
blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackfifty  Ford pictures for blackfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
Couldn't help but say I told u so for those that said cotto is too big and strong blah blah he's not in the same class as pacman. I've been boxing all my life and it's exciting seeing someone like paquiao bringing back the sport of boxing. P.S. I'm not phillipino I just respect thr hell out of pacman

Man you honestly cannot sit here and say you knew the fight would be as one sided. I fly the [BS flag]

Cotto has fought fast and powerful South paws. Fought 2 cats we know Manny wont fight. Not taking anything from Manny. As he is a true great and love him for it. But just like I wanna see Floyd fight real welters. I wanna see him do the same instead of match weights and catch weights. BS. Fight. I will reserve judgement in this weight class until he knocks off the king of the class and Cotto was 3 and maybe fourth on that list. And I have boxed for years and recently got my old ass back in the ring. And have watched boxing since Aaron Pryor and those mofos ruled this weight class.

Don't think Aaron pryor ever fought any higer than 140lbs in his best days. I still think Floyd will whoop him. Floyd won't go for any catchweight nonsense.
Yea and why would manny fight a welterweight he started off as a bantemweight and came up to fight morales, barrera, and marquez and beat all of them. Are you guys saying he should go up eight weight classes. He's paid his dues and he's obviously the smaller person but still faces bigger opponents I can't say the same for mayweather he doesn't have the heart of a true champion he dodges and ducks people in his own weight class which is obviously 146-148 because he cant make weight anymore. Manny will fight anyone his size and since hes pound for pound the best they should come down to his weight class which is a whopping 3 pounds away.

--------------------
03 Terminator

blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackfifty  Ford pictures for blackfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Na bro no B.S. I've been saying all along when cotto took that beating from margarito i knew he would never be the same again. And thats good that you got back in the ring its the best sport on earth but i've probably fought more fights than you've watched and you learn through experience not watching.
lmao...yea I cannot say boxing was my first sport. But I can tell you this, I know the sport very well. And if you predicted this one-sided bout you are a modern day Ms. Cleo...lol. But yea not dilute the situation, the end result is Cotto retire, Manny return to the lower weight classes. Nothing happening for him at welter. I attribute this to the same effect as when RJJ won the Heavyweight title. Nothing was happening for him but to vacate it. Let me ask you this. Who do you feasibly see him beating at welter now that is worth while seeing [Big Grin]
Haha I'm Ms. Cleo without the goofy accent and the lawsuit. I can honostly say i cant answer your question its like mike tyson in his prime noone can touch him in his weight class I guess manny has to go up and fight with a disadvantage but the fight that makes sence the most for manny is marquez but for the world it would be mayweather.

--------------------
03 Terminator

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Don't think Aaron pryor ever fought any higer than 140lbs in his best days. I still think Floyd will whoop him. Floyd won't go for any catchweight nonsense.
Yea and why would manny fight a welterweight he started off as a bantemweight and came up to fight morales, barrera, and marquez and beat all of them. Are you guys saying he should go up eight weight classes. He's paid his dues and he's obviously the smaller person but still faces bigger opponents I can't say the same for mayweather he doesn't have the heart of a true champion he dodges and ducks people in his own weight class which is obviously 146-148 because he cant make weight anymore. Manny will fight anyone his size and since hes pound for pound the best they should come down to his weight class which is a whopping 3 pounds away.
wtf are you takin about? First off, Floyd can make weight 147 no problem! manny fought a great fight tonight but I'm willing to bet Cotto had to weigh 145lbs TONIGHT! If pacman is so great then why does he fight starving fighters? if he wants to be the best then he should fight the best welterweights out there instead of dehydrating people to tip the odds even more in his favor. if you say floyd is ducking fights then manny is doing the same thing. Why didi"nt Pacman fight Mosely? or paul Williams? if he wants to be a welterweight he needs to step it up and fight the best like everyone else.

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmadison007  Ford pictures for rmadison007    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Regardless of how u feel about Mayweather's recent opponents he has fought decent fighters over his UNDEFEATED career...The only reason his opponents don't look impressive is because of how superior he is technically...There isn't a fighter in his weight class right now that can honestly beat him...Moseley has a good shot, but couldn't handle Cotto and his style would not do well against Mayweather who has superior Counter Punching that has given Moseley problems in the past(ie Winky Wright)...It is funny how people say Mayweather hand picks his opponents but never says the same about Pacquiao...He also ducked Moseley and choose Cotto because felts he would be easier to beat...Hatton...De La Hoya...both after losing to Mayweather...If Mayweather does that he doesn't have the heart of a Champion...
blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

wtf are you takin about? First off, Floyd can make weight 147 no problem! manny fought a great fight tonight but I'm willing to bet Cotto had to weigh 145lbs TONIGHT! If pacman is so great then why does he fight starving fighters? if he wants to be the best then he should fight the best welterweights out there instead of dehydrating people to tip the odds even more in his favor. if you say floyd is ducking fights then manny is doing the same thing. Why didi"nt Pacman fight Mosely? or paul Williams? if he wants to be a welterweight he needs to step it up and fight the best like everyone else.
I can ask you the same question how come mayweather hasn't fought anyone bigger than him since diego corrales? He's ducking mosley now and has been ducking paul williams and margarito. And you have it all messed up ofcourse mayweather can make 148 but he has trouble making anything lower than that now.

--------------------
03 Terminator

cees87drop
¯
Member # 4066

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cees87drop  Ford pictures for cees87drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just lost close to $500... I wonder who will be favored if he fight Mayweather?
blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

quote:
Originally posted by rmadison007:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Regardless of how u feel about Mayweather's recent opponents he has fought decent fighters over his UNDEFEATED career...The only reason his opponents don't look impressive is because of how superior he is technically...There isn't a fighter in his weight class right now that can honestly beat him...Moseley has a good shot, but couldn't handle Cotto and his style would not do well against Mayweather who has superior Counter Punching that has given Moseley problems in the past(ie Winky Wright)...It is funny how people say Mayweather hand picks his opponents but never says the same about Pacquiao...He also ducked Moseley and choose Cotto because felts he would be easier to beat...Hatton...De La Hoya...both after losing to Mayweather...If Mayweather does that he doesn't have the heart of a Champion...
Well tell me one good fighter that mayweather has beaten that were in their prime and are his size and are in his class. I do believe mayweather will pick apart mosley but he wont do it because he wont absolutley destroy him like he has all the other fighers. Manny isn't my favorite fighter and never has been he ducks people too but i guess thats the name of the game now. Not knocking mayweather but he is far from the greatest of all time.

--------------------
03 Terminator

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

Everyone is ducking Paul Williams...Not just Mayweather...The only person who did not was Margarito...wonder why?...Mayweather ducked Margarito and then Margarito beat Cotto illegally and tried to fight Moseley illegally...Good Call in my book...I can understand avoiding Moseley now in favor of the bigger payday with Pacquiao...It has been stated before when Moseley was in his prime and Mayweather recently moved up to welterweight he called out Moseley, but Moseley avoided him...Now that Mayweather is in his prime Moseley wants to fight him...Also why doesn't anyone bring up Moseley Steroid use...i think that is just as bad as plaster...
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

I can ask you the same question how come mayweather hasn't fought anyone bigger than him since diego corrales? He's ducking mosley now and has been ducking paul williams and margarito. And you have it all messed up ofcourse mayweather can make 148 but he has trouble making anything lower than that now.
Floyd fought Oscar at 154lbs. which was oscars best weight. Why would Floyd want to fight at a lower weight? Most fighters go up in weight classes. they don't go down. that does not make any sense. Thats like saying the heavyweight champion should lose 50lbs and fight a middleweight...

--------------------

94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

i say we setup a fight between n8 and blackfifty [Big Grin]

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

quote:
Originally posted by Big block 66 f100:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

i say we setup a fight between n8 and blackfifty [Big Grin]
Haha that would be something I haven't laced em up for about 14 months now. School and works been kicking my ass in its own ways. But if n8 ever needs help with sparring ill try to get into shape but it would be kinda pointless because im about 30 pounds lighter than he is.

--------------------
03 Terminator

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Well tell me one good fighter that mayweather has beaten that were in their prime and are his size and are in his class. I do believe mayweather will pick apart mosley but he wont do it because he wont absolutley destroy him like he has all the other fighers. Manny isn't my favorite fighter and never has been he ducks people too but i guess thats the name of the game now. Not knocking mayweather but he is far from the greatest of all time.
At welterweight Mayweather has fought no one that would be considered a great welterweight, but he has fought two proven light welterweights and one proven middleweight all at their weights no catchweights...Now beside Moseley, Margarito, and Williams, no other welterweights warranted a fight during that time...After this fight Cotto wouldn't have done to well versus Mayweather...I do agree he is not the greatest of all time but can cement he greatest if he beats Pacquiao and retires undefeated...
blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Floyd fought Oscar at 154lbs. which was oscars best weight. Why would Floyd want to fight at a lower weight? Most fighters go up in weight classes. they don't go down. that does not make any sense. Thats like saying the heavyweight champion should lose 50lbs and fight a middleweight...
Your honostley going to throw De la hoya's name out there psht. That guy was nowhere near his prime. He hasn't been a good fighter since his singing days ha. Oh and look at what manny did to pacquiao when at 148. Just saying

--------------------
03 Terminator

mikeP
¯
Member # 4489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeP  Ford pictures for mikeP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just wanted to say that cotto didnt even look like he was fighting, seriously compared to his other fights....rigged for the big pay day pac vs pbf [Wink] aint no puzzle..this world revolves around $$$$
blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

At welterweight Mayweather has fought no one that would be considered a great welterweight, but he has fought two proven light welterweights and one proven middleweight all at their weights no catchweights...Now beside Moseley, Margarito, and Williams, no other welterweights warranted a fight during that time...After this fight Cotto wouldn't have done to well versus Mayweather...I do agree he is not the greatest of all time but can cement he greatest if he beats Pacquiao and retires undefeated...
You make good points but it all goes back to the same issue. Mayweather doens't fight people his size. In my opinion if he does fight margarito or paul williams he has a legitmate shot at winning i mean look what he did to corrales when he was it his prime and he was way bigger and maywheather has only gotten better. If he beats pacman he will be considered great but in real boxing fans he will never been in the same category as joe louis, Ali, Ray Robinson, Hearns, Hagler, or any of those guys who fought anybody and were succesful.

--------------------
03 Terminator

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mikeP:
i just wanted to say that cotto didnt even look like he was fighting, seriously compared to his other fights....rigged for the big pay day pac vs pbf [Wink] aint no puzzle..this world revolves around $$$$

I really saw this too, he did A LOT of checking his punches. Not making excuses but he did not fight a fight like when he beat Mosely. Manny is great but I refuse to believe he punches harder than clottey, zab and Marg with cement gloves.

And as far as Mayweather, do not mistake his business sense for cowardice. He fights for paychecks and blame the managers for keeping their fighter marginalized. As unfortunate as it is, that is the real. Mayweather is all about the money and his not so much his legacy as he is already Hall of Fame bound. He wants big paydays. A fight with Manny wont happen as he will campaign at a fake welter. He will want 60/40 and a catch weight at fight time. BS. And he will get in the "Duck Paul Williams" line as well. Williams is the modern day Hearns with freakishly superior boxing to Hearns era. No one wants to fight him. Too much risk and no pay off. He wont fight Mosely because Mosely will give in to every demand but wont command any audience so no money there. Plus Mosely will be Manny.

I always contended that this was a calculated risk with a lot of smoke and mirrors. It is now time for Manny to fight as welter if he chooses to do so. This was the road of less resistance in the welter weight division. Fastest way to a belt. Now if he is the warrior they say he is, he will unify them.

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

The only two fighters on Manny's radar right now are Marquez and Mayweather...Moseley will get ignored along with Williams...Also Williams will probably not fight at 147 again...I believe he will fighting at middleweight his next couple of fights...The key is Roach wants Mayweather and he will convince Arum to make the fight and they should make a deal with a 50-50 split with the amount of money the fight should generate and estimates suggest the fight will break the all time payper views buys...Mayweather can make 145 but will likely ask to fight at 147...Naturally both Manny and Mayweather are 144-148lbs so any weight shouldn't be hard to make...I can see the fight actually happening and there being enough money to give both fighters enough motivation to share...I can not even think of how Manny expects to attack Mayweather...I have not seen anyone be effective doing anything against Mayweather...
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
Originally posted by mikeP:

Any sport especially combat sports have a big chance of being rigged. Especially when money is involved. But hey, for 10 million dollars who would'nt take a dive lol!

--------------------

STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As Cotto said it himself "Pacquiao is the best fighter of our time"

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:

I think cotto had taken one to many shots to the head when he made that comment lol!

--------------------

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:

why? because he beat Cotto?...if he beats Mayweather that is a warranted statement, but as of today...no...the most entertaining and exciting...yes...just like Mayweather his opponents makes him look impressive, their flaws highlights his strengths...both fight opponents that fit their styles...if Pacquiao fights Mayweather you will see...the fight will be boring, Pacquiao's defensive flaws will be shown, he will seem busier but not effective and lose on points, if he takes chances he will get koed...Pacquiao's size will play a role because it will be hard for him to reach mayweather when he goes in his defensive shell...all of pacquiao's recent opponents were poor defensive fighters who came forward and wanted to exchange, basically the complete opposite of Mayweather or a fighter with skills similar to Marquez but far superior and we know how much trouble he had with Marquez...
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Excellent post from another forum...

C&P

Mayweather-Pacquiao will be boring, thanks to Mayweather.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I said it Mayweather-Pacquiao will be a boring fight. Yes Mayweather will do his job in selling himself and telling us how he'll KO Manny blah blah blah. But once the fight starts he will become a defensive, elusive fighter for 12 rounds.

Think about it. On Mayweather/Marquez Mayweather outweighed Marquez by about 15-20 pounds. Marquez could not hurt Floyd, but yet Floyd had no interest in giving the fans a show or finishing the fight. He was happy "out-pointing" Marquez.

The same would happen with Pacquiao. Mayweather will dance around the ring, throw a jab or two and a lead right hand every now and then and that's it. Pacquiao will try to make it a fight but Floyd will not engage.

I'm over Mayweather and believing his hype. Remember when he said he would "ice" DLH? I thought he was going to bring it to the Golden Boy. And what happened? It was a snooze-fest.

Manny is the bigger star by far, the bigger draw, and the better fighter/warrior by far. He doesn't need Mayweather, at this point Mayweather needs him.

*And . . . would Mayweather even bother making weight? Or would he rather pay Manny as he did Marquez and not bother making weight?

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

quote:
Originally posted by BUKSING:
Excellent post from another forum...

C&P

Mayweather-Pacquiao will be boring, thanks to Mayweather.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I said it Mayweather-Pacquiao will be a boring fight. Yes Mayweather will do his job in selling himself and telling us how he'll KO Manny blah blah blah. But once the fight starts he will become a defensive, elusive fighter for 12 rounds.

Think about it. On Mayweather/Marquez Mayweather outweighed Marquez by about 15-20 pounds. Marquez could not hurt Floyd, but yet Floyd had no interest in giving the fans a show or finishing the fight. He was happy "out-pointing" Marquez.

The same would happen with Pacquiao. Mayweather will dance around the ring, throw a jab or two and a lead right hand every now and then and that's it. Pacquiao will try to make it a fight but Floyd will not engage.

I'm over Mayweather and believing his hype. Remember when he said he would "ice" DLH? I thought he was going to bring it to the Golden Boy. And what happened? It was a snooze-fest.

Manny is the bigger star by far, the bigger draw, and the better fighter/warrior by far. He doesn't need Mayweather, at this point Mayweather needs him.

*And . . . would Mayweather even bother making weight? Or would he rather pay Manny as he did Marquez and not bother making weight?

Great post, but extremely flawed...The best fighter and the most entertaining fighter are not the same...No fighter gets extra point for getting hit...The object is to hit the opponent more and you get hit less, if you knock your opponent out great you get an extra point...You win rounds...I am actually interested where the poster got the information about Mayweather's weight for the Marquez fight...He weighed 146 at the weigh in and did not disclose his weight the night of the fight, but the post states he was 12-15 pounds heavier...Only boxers can truly appreciate watching Mayweather fight and his style...Watching someone fight, be dominate, and not look like he has been in a fight his uber impressive to me...People want Boxers to stand up and trade until one falls...that's not boxing that is MMA...wrong sport!

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com