Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Don't Use Trick Flow Gaskets! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Don't Use Trick Flow Gaskets!
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought this set(51400912) to use while rebuilding my SBF in 2012. It's my weekend car so it doesn't see many miles. To date the engine has under 1,800 miles. Within 100 miles the rear main seal failed, & was dumping a lot of oil. Then just after 1,000 miles the oil pan gasket failed, tore, & was again leaking a lot of oil. Most recently at a little bit over 1,700 miles the lower intake manifold to head gaskets failed at the water jackets. Header gaskets also failed. All have been replaced with fel pro gaskets, & no problems since. I've used fel pro previously without any of these problems. I sure hope the head gaskets hold up.

-

-

[ 2014-10-21, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would just change them seeing that all the other gaskets failed

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1NastyBullitt:
I would just change them seeing that all the other gaskets failed

Which reminds me, I forgot to mention the header gaskets failed as well. The only trick flow gaskets left now are the timing chain chain cover, & water pump gaskets. Those I lightly coated entirely with rtv silicone, so they should be ok(crossing fingers)

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
highly doubt trickflow makes their own gaskets, still doesn't rule out the chance of them reboxing some super elcheapo garbage.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe it's a felpro 1250 intake gasket that comes with the kit, by chance were you using BBK headers or did you forget to tighten the header bolts after breaking the motor in? Are you venting the motor enough?

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
Are you venting the motor enough?

Elaborate please.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

Elaborate please.
Super charged an turbo engine's need to be vent more then a n/a engine if not you pressure wise the engine an push the seal an gasket out.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Elaborate please.
I think he has a blower on that motor and I can't see why the rear main seal or oil pan gasket would fail so quickly unless installed wrong, if you don't vent the motor enough under boost then oil leaks will happen.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That happened to my vert as well i agree u may not be venting the motor enough buy my old valve covers off lee this cleared my venting issue up......

[ 2014-10-21, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: moeofit32 ]

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
quote:
quote:

Elaborate please.
I think he has a blower on that motor and I can't see why the rear main seal or oil pan gasket would fail so quickly unless installed wrong, if you don't vent the motor enough under boost then oil leaks will happen.
Yeah I'm running a blower @ 8psi. Dan said(back when it failed)the rear main seal failed because it was a 2 piece instead of a 1 piece. The oil pan gasket did the same thing these intake manifold gaskets did, pushed out/tore on a corner. The header gaskets turned rock hard and started leaking without any rips or tears. I followed all recommended criss cross/torque recommendations for all applications except header gaskets since it's such a pain to utilize a torque wrench in those areas.

I use BBk non equal length Ceramic Coated Shorties that were brand new when purchased. After many years with Fox's and working at a shop that primarily dealt with Fox's I always check and retighten the header bolts after the first few warm up cycles and then periodically check them over time(every couple times out). I'm not really upset about the header gaskets since those are an easy fix.

As far as venting the motor. It has the factory PCV ran per the Holley Systemax Vacuum Line Diagram, & the valve cover breather with a line run to my power pipe, so that it will pass smog at any smog shop. The dip stick never pushes out, which I've seen happen on boosted fox's which weren't venting enough. What else could I do to vent more? Run an open valve cover breather, then swap it out for smog? I've always thought of that as drawing in unmetered air.

The intake manifold gaskets failed on all of the water passage ways. Would this have anything to do with venting? My car doesn't overheat, or even get close to overheating, so I know it's not that.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why would you use a 2 piece main seal on one piece block.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

I never said venting had anything to do with your intake gasket, but I would never run PCV with a breather setup with boost, I have never seen intake gasket fail like that, but you might be pressurizing your coolant system with boost or something is wrong with the heads or intake not sealing correctly.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
I never said venting had anything to do with your intake gasket, but I would never run PCV with a breather setup with boost, I have never seen intake gasket fail like that, but you might be pressurizing your coolant system with boost or something is wrong with the heads or intake not sealing correctly.

I have when been installed wrong.
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Why would you use a 2 piece main seal on one piece block.

That is what came in the kit, I asked Dan if the rest of the gaskets were worth using and he said yes, so I used them, & have been cursing the low quality gaskets ever since.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:

I have never seen them fail like this either. Casey said it might have been the clear RTV silicone. I've used clear rtv silicone on many gaskets over the years, but it is interesting that these gaskets failed only in the spots with the clear silicone on them.

The heads are trick flow twisted wedge 170's. They were also brand new when installed, Dan put them on, I think he most likely would have noticed if there were something wrong.

[ 2014-10-21, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Clear silicone is for house's not cars .
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:

It is clear automotive rtv silicone that I used, not actual household caulking. It says not recommended for constant immersion in gasoline. On the actual tube it states how to use it for replacing gaskets, or using it in conjunction with gaskets, just like any other RTV. Temp range -70f-500f

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
quote:

It is clear automotive rtv silicone that I used, not actual household caulking. It says not recommended for constant immersion in gasoline. On the actual tube it states how to use it for replacing gaskets, or using it in conjunction with gaskets, just like any other RTV. Temp range -70f-500f
I only use gray or Toyota fipg an oil put rtv on the valley of the intake an none on the water ports unless the intake or heads are pitted then I use some but very little.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Sounds like it's all been installer error

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Sounds like it's all been installer error

Verbatim quote directly from the clear silicone tube:
"For gasket replacement, apply to 1 surface in an unbroken, uniform bead, encircling all bolt holes. For gasket dressing, apply to both sides of precut gasket before installation. Allow 15 minutes to skin over and then join parts." This is automotive rtv silicone, I have used this many times in many gaskets without fail. How is this installer error?

The header gaskets failed while the bolts were tight. How is this installer error? I have since installed new header gaskets with zero leaks. They are the dead soft ones.

The oil pan gasket was installed before the engine was dropped in the car. I used a criss cross pattern and torqued the bolts to spec. 9ft/lbs. how is this installer error? I have since installed the Fel pro one piece pan gasket with the engine still in the car, zero leaks.

The only possible seal you might be able to actually say is installer error is the two piece rear main seal. This was the only rear main seal included in the "premium" trick flow kit. I suppose I was stupid to just believe that trick flow would include all of the correct gaskets in a kit that is advertised as a 5.0L/302 EFI set. I even asked Dan prior to using these gaskets if I should use them or just go with Fel pro, Dan said they were good to go, so I used them. Again, I installed the fel pro one piece with zero leaks.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Been working on car for many years an anytime I seen clear rtv used it leaks.an those intake gasket in installer error it happens move an use caution when installing the lower intake.
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Been working on car for many years an anytime I seen clear rtv used it leaks.an those intake gasket in installer error it happens move an use caution when installing the lower intake.

I just called trick flow & summit, talked to a couple people at both places, no one had heard of clear silicone causing problems before. Trick flow said that the gaskets are in fact made by fel pro as Lee had mentioned, they took down my info, & said they will contact fel pro directly to see if this could have caused the failure. To me it appears that it did, still strange I haven't encountered problems with clear rtv before.

I've installed quite a few intake manifolds over the years, on my car, & on many other folks cars, this is the only time Ive seen this problem.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bad batch?

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
Bad batch?

Who knows, the said they will contact me back with more info, so we'll see what they say

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
funny every gasket failed lol, sorry but those are prob felpro performance gaskets in the first place. im saying installer error. they where installed incorrectly lol the water ports are warped because they where over tightened for one. u didn't follow correct installing procedures for sure. if u don't follow the tightening sequence your gaskets will look like that every time. the performance gaskets arent as tough as stock bulgy
crap, an u have to be critically careful installing them.

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com