Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » What seat are you ROAD RACERS using?? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: What seat are you ROAD RACERS using??
straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian, depending on how tall you are, plan on fabricating some seat brackets. The stock Recaro sliders put the 00 Cobra R's I have way too high in the car so that my helmet hits the headliner. With my Recaro shell, I took out the sliders, and fabricated some mounts directly to the floor. Dropped me WAY lower. I can barely see over the cowl of the car and I'm 6'1" tall.
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4IDFOX:
I have a momo that i ran for a while and was a good seat. I whent back to the kirkey as i liked the way it holds me in the car better. I do not know the model of the momo but it is an fia seat. I had a corbeau forza before the momo and hated it. They do not have much padding and it wore sore spots in my back. In the end I went back to the seat i started with in my first track car that i bought because it was cheap and turns out to be the one that works the best for me the kirkey.

Get in touch with ken at ioport he can help you with brackets and the seat. They are in Lafayette

Troy...I thought over the idea of getting a Corbeau and quickly realized NOT TO DO IT. I read a lot of negative feedback on them and they're not FIA approved so who knows how safe I'd really be in one. Comnig from high-dollar Recaro's, I'd be damned if I replace them with some cheapo $300 seats [Embarrassed]

As for the MOMO's, I like they're look and the price seems right. I'm going to try and head to LPI Racing after work to try them out.

I still haven't visited Ioport to try out the Kirkey's. I really should go and see what the hype is about [Big Grin] He said he has a few in stock so if/when I go there, i may end up taking one home with me (which is kind of why I've been trying other ones out first so I can save the "best" for last).

BTW...did you receive my text? I sent you the M.O. [patriot]

quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
Ian, depending on how tall you are, plan on fabricating some seat brackets. The stock Recaro sliders put the 00 Cobra R's I have way too high in the car so that my helmet hits the headliner. With my Recaro shell, I took out the sliders, and fabricated some mounts directly to the floor. Dropped me WAY lower. I can barely see over the cowl of the car and I'm 6'1" tall.

Justin...I actually fit fine in my car with the Cobra R's mounted on the stock recaro sliders. I wasnt too high and had no issues when wearing my helmet. I'm also short (5'7-ish) so that helps too i guess [Big Grin]

I know how you're an advocate for halo style seats [Big Grin] ...I found a killer deal on a used Sparco Circuit Pro and I'm suppsoed to meet with the guy at lunch today. If it fits me I'm taking it! i just wish it were the FRPP one with eth Ford Racing logo on it [dance]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy has 2 of those FR500 Sparco seats. I personally do not like them. I feel too cramped up. Maybe it's my lanky 6'+ ass tho?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
My buddy has 2 of those FR500 Sparco seats. I personally do not like them. I feel too cramped up. Maybe it's my lanky 6'+ ass tho?

Do you feel too cramped because the seat is for slim people, or because the design of the bolster/halo?

***I just got back from checking out the used Sparco Circuit Pro. It was pretty worn and didnt fit very good. Sucks, because I was hoping I'd like it and finally have a seat [Embarrassed]

[ November 23, 2011, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

The seat used to be WAY narrow for me (I used to be a 40" waist), but I dropped 60 lbs, which puts me in a 34" waist and his seat now fits, but it's tight. Tight but doable. The issue is the room below the halo for my shoulders. It's not nearly tall enough for my body type. If you're interested I'm sure he'd let you try it on (again - Modesto). Let me know?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
The seat used to be WAY narrow for me (I used to be a 40" waist), but I dropped 60 lbs, which puts me in a 34" waist and his seat now fits, but it's tight. Tight but doable. The issue is the room below the halo for my shoulders. It's not nearly tall enough for my body type. If you're interested I'm sure he'd let you try it on (again - Modesto). Let me know?

Ok, I got ya. if they're a tight fit for you at a 34" waist, it'll be tight for me as well. After trying a few different halo seats, I think I've concluded that I cant and shouldnt go this route since my car is still a street car. Not being able to see out the sides just isnt safe for street use.

Back to the Kirkeys....I finally made my way to Ioport Racing and BS'ed with Ken for a good hour or so. Real good guy and knows his shit when it comes to safety. He basically had me sold on a full containment road race seat because of the stories he told me, but we both realized that since my car was a dual purpose vehicle (street & track) it'd be best to get the Intermediate Road Race seat (for now).

I'm still undecided between the Sparco Evo 2's and the Kirkey...at this point it kind of depends on which seat will be easier to mount into my car.

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

So I finally decided on a seat...I just placed an order for an Ultrashield Rally Sport aluminum race seat. It is identical to the Kirkey Intermediate seat except with a smaller price tag. I found a killer deal on here for $331 shipped: http://www.racedaysafety.com/ultra-shield-rally-sport-seat.html

I did a lot of research on how to mount aluminum seats on corral, svtp, and corner-carvers and I think I'm going to try and mount the seat onto the stock mustang slider/bracket. With a little drilling and fab'ing, it will work according to others who have done it before).

I also plan to secure the seat with a seat back brace from ioport. Hopefully I get the 4-pt roll bar from MM installed soon.

its all I'll post pics once done. thansk for everyone's feedback and help!

Now I need a "cheaper" passenger seat if anyone has something for sale [patriot]

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry I'm late to this party [Wink] I have the Safecraft with a wider one for my wideness [Smile]

-

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Yo bizkit where you been man?!?! Haven't seen you here in a while lol!

I tried looking into safecraft seats but they're no longer in the seat business. Sucks, because they're local so it'd be nice to go there and try them out.

How're your seats mounted? Adjustable sliders or fixed into the floor? Did you custom fab anything?

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:

I tried looking into safecraft seats but they're no longer in the seat business. Sucks, because they're local so it'd be nice to go there and try them out.

How're your seats mounted? Adjustable sliders or fixed into the floor? Did you custom fab anything?

Bummer about Safecraft.

I've been outta work again so I've been put to work on house projects and such.

The previous owner came up with the setup. They are fixed, box tubing acting as rails that has flat tabs in the front to use the OEM seat mounting point. The tubes extend all the way to the bulkhead where a flat mount with tabs was put on the end for bolting to the bulkhead. the seat rails sit little higher than the Griggs frame kit allowing mounting points on either side for halon system and accusump.

front mount
 -

Rear mount (bulkhead/halon bottle)
 -

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by BIzKitBrAIn:
quote:

Bummer about Safecraft.

The previous owner came up with the setup. They are fixed, box tubing acting as rails that has flat tabs in the front to use the OEM seat mounting point. The tubes extend all the way to the bulkhead where a flat mount with tabs was put on the end for bolting to the bulkhead. the seat rails sit little higher than the Griggs frame kit allowing mounting points on either side for halon system and accusump.

front mount
 -

-

Looks like some major fabbing went into that mount. I'm looking for something a bit easier [Big Grin] . Dude, you've GOTTA sell me that car! that thing looks like it'd be so damn fun to drive on the track! [dance]

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BIzKitBrAIn:
quote:

Bummer about Safecraft.

front mount
 -

-

Looks like some major fabbing went into that mount. I'm looking for something a bit easier [Big Grin] . Dude, you've GOTTA sell me that car! that thing looks like it'd be so damn fun to drive on the track! [dance]
That may be a possibility (PM me what your thinking) as we are having a hell of a time financially savings is almost gone, I don;t want to sell it but I may have too. Let me talk to the wife and I'll get back to you.

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com