Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » What seat are you ROAD RACERS using?? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: What seat are you ROAD RACERS using??
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in the market for a new set of racing seats for my car and wanted to hear your guys' suggestions based on experience. I'm looking for a fixed back seat for the driver side and probably a cheaper reclining version for the passenger side. I REALL want the FRPP Sparco Circuit seat but I really dont see myself spending $1000+ on a single seat.

Although my car mostly is primarily used as atrack car nowadays, I still want the seat to be semi-street worthy (comfortable and not too hard to get in and out of).

Are any of you guys running halo-style seats like the Sparco Circuit? Does the halo part make it difficult to see out the side windows?

I'm trying to get something that's cost efficient but good quality...suggestions? [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kirkey Intermediate Road Race Seat but I do have a removable steering wheel.

[ November 19, 2011, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SteveL:

Steve, how comfortable are those aluminum seats?

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very comfortable with the padding and cover installed. I also like the Safecraft seats. Best thing would be to try sitting in different seats next time you're at the track. Besides the brand and model, ask what width they have.
4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will second the kirkey. They are very comfortable. I used to run a Momo and even with the 5 piont i felt like i was falling out of the seat at the apex of turn two at thunderhill.

The halo will be no good on the street.

You could easily change the seat for track days. only takes 15 minutes with a 15 mm wrench. the kirkey is very affordable. depending on who you are running with you will need a seatback brace when you go to a race seat and five piont harness.

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Steve and Troy, do you guys know any local (bay area) shops that carry Kirkey seats? I'd like to sit in one and see how they fit me.

Also, do you guys know anything about Ultra-Shield aluminum seats? They have a their road racing seat (similar to Kirkey's Intermediate seat) with padding and seat cover for $324.95:
http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=8

[ November 19, 2011, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

I bought my seat from http://www.ioportracing.com/ in Lafayette. I mentioned Safecraft in Concord but they don't list seats on their website. Try calling them.

I don't think I've ever sat in an UltraShield seat.

[ November 20, 2011, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: SteveL ]

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sparco Evo for me. It's relatively cheap, comfortable, and holds me in the corners just fine.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Steve, I didn't realize safecraft was just in concord. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they've got to offer.

Tim, I too like the Sparco Evo seats! I thought I found killer deal on CL for a pair of new Evo 2 Plus seats for $400...turns out that theyre replicas though. The seller claims that the quality and fit is on par with authentic sparcos but I'd be worried that they're cheaply china made seats that won't last very long.

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Question regarding aluminum racing seats: is it required to use a seat-back brace for HPDE or is that just necessary for race applications? Without the brace, is the seat rigid enough to use as-is?

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

I don't know the answer to that one. I installed the brace with the seat.

I think there's little doubt that a back brace makes the mounting stronger and thus safer on aluminum seats. For plastic/composite/carbon fiber, check with the manufacturer. Some say DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THE BACK OF THE SEAT.

I've also never seen a back brace as a requirement in HDPE (even NASA) but believe they are required for aluminum seats in the race groups.

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Recaro Pro Racer XL (fat boy size) - absolutely incredible seat!

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas/motorsport/product/pro-racer-hansr-xl.html

NOT cheap, but I scooped it up cheap on fleabay. If any of you guys want to come try it on for size, just ask. I'm in Modesto.

[ November 21, 2011, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: straightliner1 ]

Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
I don't know the answer to that one. I installed the brace with the seat.

I think there's little doubt that a back brace makes the mounting stronger and thus safer on aluminum seats. For plastic/composite/carbon fiber, check with the manufacturer. Some say DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN THE BACK OF THE SEAT.

I've also never seen a back brace as a requirement in HDPE (even NASA) but believe they are required for aluminum seats in the race groups.

If back braces aren't required for aluminum seats, I am really liking the Ultrashield road race seat for $325 w/ cover. I am going to call Safecraft later today and see what they've got to offer.

quote:
Originally posted by straightliner1:
Recaro Pro Racer XL (fat boy size) - absolutely incredible seat!

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas/motorsport/product/pro-racer-hansr-xl.html

NOT cheap, but I scooped it up cheap on fleabay. If any of you guys want to come try it on for size, just ask. I'm in Modesto.

That's a VERY nice seat Justin! I too need a seat that's "wider" than the standard skinny person seat [Razz] How much did you end up getting your's for on ebay (if you dont mind me asking)?

--------------------

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Question regarding aluminum racing seats: is it required to use a seat-back brace for HPDE or is that just necessary for race applications? Without the brace, is the seat rigid enough to use as-is?

The back bracing is required for race groups but not HPDE in NASA anyways. The seats are rigid enough without them unless you go with a cheap seat (which I know you won't). I wouldn't worry about a brace Ian
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:

The back bracing is required for race groups but not HPDE in NASA anyways. The seats are rigid enough without them unless you go with a cheap seat (which I know you won't). I wouldn't worry about a brace Ian
Thanks Greg! By the way, what seat are you using in the cobra?

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no problems with hunsaker sports 5 point seats on my `89, I don't know if they make them anymore but they were based down the street from MM when I got them (here in socal).

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

FYI...just called up Safecraft and they said that they are no longer in the seat business. I guess I'm left with Kirkey and Ultrashield if I go with aluminum.

--------------------

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am running Corbeau A4. I want to sell them and get a fixed back seat since my car is no longer seeing street use.
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
btw I got a Kirkey aluminum seat

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

This is somewhat against my rule of staying away from "cheap" brands, but does anyone have any experience with Corbeau fixed-back seats, ie: Forza, FX1, etc? Their prices are much lower than Sparco, OMP, and Recaro, but i'm sure quality is less as well since they're not even an FIA approved brand. Any feedback on Corbeau?

As a side note, I'm not too concerned about not having FIA approved seats since HPDE does not require it, but I do want quality seats that will last a while and withstand the abuse of racing.

--------------------

straightliner1
¯
Member # 2679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for straightliner1  Ford pictures for straightliner1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian, if it's at all possible (budget wise) get a nice wraparound shell. It makes all the difference!
Posts: 484 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't go cheap on saftey. just because its not required in HPDE. you are still driving on a race track and sh** happens real fast. wear your gloves, shoes and suit. you crash and the car catches fire you will be glad that you had your nomix on. one final thing don't remove your tow points i know not required for HPDE.
Nastyc6
¯
Member # 11355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nastyc6  Ford pictures for Nastyc6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I have this seat in my car the seat is actureley comfy

--------------------
Bay Area Stock C6
built and tuned by Newtech Performance
DD 2011 cts-v

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

For the guys running Kirkey or any other type of aluminum race seats, how did you mount them to the floor? Does Kirkey make mustang-specific mounting brackets? Any adjustable sliders that will allow me to move the seat front/back?

Also, I went to Wine Country Motorsports today and tried out some Sparco, OMP, and Cobra seats. If I go with an off the shelf seat, I seem to have fit best in the Sparco Evo 2, Sparco Pro 2000, and the Cobra Suzuka Pro seats. I was hoping that they'd have some kind of Black Friday special but they said they're not...Anyone know of any of these seats for sale for less than retail price???

Lastly, has anyone ever used MOMO seats, ie: Start 2007 or Super Cup seats? LPI Racing in Livermore has some pretty good deals on these seats (~$350 for the Start 2007's and ~$480 for the Super Cups).

[ November 23, 2011, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a momo that i ran for a while and was a good seat. I whent back to the kirkey as i liked the way it holds me in the car better. I do not know the model of the momo but it is an fia seat. I had a corbeau forza before the momo and hated it. They do not have much padding and it wore sore spots in my back. In the end I went back to the seat i started with in my first track car that i bought because it was cheap and turns out to be the one that works the best for me the kirkey.

Get in touch with ken at ioport he can help you with brackets and the seat. They are in Lafayette

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com