Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » IRS vs. Solid axle (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: IRS vs. Solid axle
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
See Miatas, can rail corners, and the Power to wieght is amazing. So in the hands of a good driver, yes, they can walk away from a Z06. Hell I have seen it happen before. Road racing is about skill, and patience. Its about being so in tune with the track and car that it literally feels ungodly slow, and when you do that, you just made your fastest lap. Most tracks have numerous corners, cars with high HP, can only use it down the long straights, otherwise, they have to be so perfectly balanced and set-up to actually put that power down in the corners to actually use it as a gain. Other times, in hands of less experienced, it can hurt them. Most common is over cooking it into corners or coming out. Its hard for some to grab the concept of you have to be slow to be fast. It takes alot of time to build that nature into a driver. Oh others get a taste of it now and then, but when a driver is truely good, he can close his eyes, start a stop watch and play out a lap in his mind, and actually be within a second or less when he stops the watch.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Looks like this is the best possiblity

NCRC

On saturday they are doing time trials too. It would work out the best. I hope you qualify for advanced though.

I will have to find my log book. It has been some time since I raced OT. I was planning on some schools next year to get my lic. to run T2 the following season.

I started with OT racing then went to Auto-X. Cheaper and cheaper. I think they are bot a blast though.

On you later thread than the one quote (to lazy to quote it. I can handle the car fairly well. I come from a Mustang background so I learned to race the hard way. There is a reson that the Corvette has dominated so many years in T1.. It is a damn good car. When you turn the wheel it turns. Not like the almighty push of theMustnag. I know, I know with the propersetup the push is less but the handling of the Z06 is why I traded in the Cobra for it. The straight line was an added benny though. I will see if I have that day clear and see if I can make it out. I was looking at dragging some buddies out to the Driving school in Oct. With the divorce going the way it is going money is a bit tight right now, we will see though.

Later

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It would be best if you ran with a club that had AMB timers available for rent. Rental cost is typically $25/day but you don't have to buy anything for timing (a HotLap setup for example).

NCRC, NASA, Speed Ventures and I believe TrackMasters all use them but double check if they have transponders for rent. Shelby Club does not allow timing devices. Some of the smaller clubs might have them as well (Club Z, Unlimited Laps, etc).

NCRC has a special new club member deal going that would save you some money. if you are not yet a member.

I don't think it matters whether you if run in open passing or not. Over the course of a day, you'll have clear laps in all groups. Run in the group you're comfortable with. You will be faster.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Roush #92:
It would be best if you ran with a club that had AMB timers available for rent. Rental cost is typically $25/day but you don't have to buy anything for timing (a HotLap setup for example).

NCRC, NASA, Speed Ventures and I believe TrackMasters all use them but double check if they have transponders for rent. Shelby Club does not allow timing devices. Some of the smaller clubs might have them as well (Club Z, Unlimited Laps, etc).

NCRC has a special new club member deal going that would save you some money. if you are not yet a member.

I don't think it matters whether you if run in open passing or not. Over the course of a day, you'll have clear laps in all groups. Run in the group you're comfortable with. You will be faster.

Yeah Steve you are right about some things. The transponders I know Trackmasters you can rent them, and I believe NASA allows it too, but as far as track dates avaiable for Thunderhill, it looks like the best date is with the NCRC. I have to contact them and see how they run there TT class.

The big thing about passing for me is, most groups we have run with even with gapping, still gets too crowded. I have no problems in overtaking cars in corners, as long as they know how to be passed, and don't freak out and turn into me. Last time I was at T-hill some guy who was clearly not in advanced who should have never been allowed in the group did this; coming into turn 6 in the back, its raining, and we are all still just shy of race pace, he decides to point us by, in mid turn, well as he did this, the car got unstable due to the change in control on the wheel, looped it in front of 6 guys, then instead of doing the correct thing to stop the spin (Clutch in, break in, wheel straight), he thought he could correct it, and he shot out of the dirt right back into the heard of cars almost taking everyone out. This is why I prefer to run in the groups and clubs where people have to know how to drive to be in the advanced. Be certified and/or clear by the race/event director. I am sure some clubs are really light on the groupings, I am not sure about all of them, I have only ran with a handfull of groups, mostly NASA so I can get my comp license.

Never the less, I think it would be tons of fun just to get alot of use from here together for a track day. Hell if we get enough want, maybe we can sidebar with another club to actuall have a Track event specifically for us. Of course depends, on how many drivers, cost, track availability, and so on.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mach0ne351:
sounds like fun to me! [Smile] let me find the right event and time, and we will set a date [Smile] hows that?

and ill make a rule too....race on street tires too [Wink]

marek

Ok, ANY DOT TIRE. Thread wear of 140+ and must still have tread, no full make shift slicks. Deal?
haha no problem. reason being, i dont have the funds to buy race tires, so all i gotz is my BFG KDW's..

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Hey slight alter, it will need to be 100+ on tread wear, thats the hardest compound I own. I have 100's or 00's in DOT tires.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Hey slight alter, it will need to be 100+ on tread wear, thats the hardest compound I own. I have 100's or 00's in DOT tires.

Don't you think you are stretching it a bit? [Big Grin] Most "Street Tire" classes require 200 tread wear. [Eek!]

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
Originally posted by 04Z06:
quote:

Don't you think you are stretching it a bit? [Big Grin] Most "Street Tire" classes require 200 tread wear. [Eek!]

E

Well tell my kid why I am wasting $1000 for tires just an event., I have to run what I got. The tires on my car for street are softer than my track tires. The whole point is that niether of us are on a slick tire.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im saving my money! for the next event i can afford for this! i cant wait to have some fun on the open track again! [Smile] this will tons of fun for john and i. i just hope my helmet is still "ok" to run with. i heard that they changed the helmet requirements recently, or they will....

hey john, when is thunderhill all green? spring? that would be sweet to race on during the green season haha

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

The Helmet has to be Snell M2000 or SA95 or newer. The Green season is November through March/April there.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

shit...lol ill have to look for a new helmet then....awesome! green season is upon us almost then! good stuff...thats when i wanna run at thunderhill..you feel me? [Smile]

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ya, It's a nice track when in all green.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

i couldnt agree more. i so cant wait for it [Smile]

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OH YEAH! We got ourselves a duel!

Sincerely,

Mike Mak
Apex Motorsports
ApexMotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: 408/588-0075 Fax: 408/588-0089

Griggs Racing, Maximum Motorsports, Evolution Motosports, SCT, Racelogic, H&R, Ford racing, Kenne Bell, MAC, Bassani, Vortech, Powerdyne, AMSoil, Koni, Hawk, AFR, Tokico, Baer Racing, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Diablosport

SPEC -Fabrication
¯
Member # 4980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPEC -Fabrication  Ford pictures for SPEC -Fabrication    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mach0ne351:
i couldnt agree more. i so cant wait for it [Smile]

marek

[Wink] O'YEAH cant wait Bro

--------------------
1999 Saleen#124
1997 Tahoe
2006 ZX636R
CWS certified welder

Posts: 1321 | From: drinkin BEER! | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com