Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » **** Oil Leak *****

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: **** Oil Leak *****
86 T TOPS
¯
Member # 8855

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86 T TOPS  Ford pictures for 86 T TOPS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey folks I have a 90 coupe that's leakin heavily from the rear oil pan and in between the tranny. When the car is running and level to the ground leaks heavly and oil runs back to the h-pipe causing to smoke heavily, but when I jack it up and and put it on stands the leak suddenly stops..... I havnt had a mechanic stop by to come and check it out yet but talked to a friend who is a mechanic and he suggested it could be the rear main seal. Any suggestions on what I might be folks ??

--------------------
TTOPNGT

Posts: 704 | From: redwood city | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rear main seal.

--------------------
'00XlRangerSlammed-'91Gt347Turbo-'93CalypsoSCFaleen
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most likely the rear main seal but I would think that it would leak more when its jacked up.
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
86 T TOPS
¯
Member # 8855

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86 T TOPS  Ford pictures for 86 T TOPS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's what I thought too but I jacked it up and started the car to see where the leak was coming from and sure enough I can see where it was leaking from but it slowed down and also stoped smoking .

--------------------
TTOPNGT

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the engine running, some blow-by past the rings builds up pressure inside the oil pan and may be enough to open a leak in the rear seal. Also check the PCV valve. If it's clogged you're getting too much pressure in the pan.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the one piece rear main seal. Replace the oil pan gasket with one piece also. Its pretty easy to do. The only tool you probably going to buy is a engine hoist (cherry picker). You can also rent one but don't know how much is.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
86 T TOPS
¯
Member # 8855

Is it easier to pull the motor out to replace the rear seal or can it be done to without having to pull it out ?

--------------------
TTOPNGT

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can do it with the motor in the car.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the tranny out.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
86 T TOPS
¯
Member # 8855

Turned out to be the oil pan bought both gaskets and leak is now on just needs to burn all the oil on The H pipe thanks folks I appreciate all the input .

--------------------
TTOPNGT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com