Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with lifter-..... Late post but solved! Problem on last page (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Need help with lifter-..... Late post but solved! Problem on last page
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick look at his video clearly shows a lifter that is not pumped up. So you can look at it till the cows come home they all have to be removed and checked on a bleed down lifter tester. Clearly that is what is happening here unless he has an issue with oil delivery to the lifter gallies. So time to break out the tools and find out the issue.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of lifters should I get?

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FORD.

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
FORD.

Just stock lifters? I was told to upgrade because of the size of my cam. And that the body of it wouldn't handle revs cam size ect.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Most cam grinders use all the same lifters. They contract from the cheapest vendor normally. We use stock lifters in chevys Dodges and fords. The cam is not the issue with lifters. It is the Valve spring pressures. Normally Performance engines use dual valve springs putting extra loads on the lifters. But i run a 658 Lift cam in my LS3 and use stock chevy lifters. Your cam is not that big as i read the post. I asked for the specks but you did not post them. .Ford does make a high performance lifter as i remember. Bubbed as an anti pump up unit. I really could not explain what an anti pump up lifter is as i was never able to tell the difference one bit. Anti pump up just another BS story from the aftermarket crap selling point.

[ 2014-08-13, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howard there made by morel.an what is your rpm range you shifting at.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Lifters do not care about RPM . I shift my camaro well in to the 7500 Rpm band with absolutely no issues. Why would the lifters care about RPM BAND????? I shift my 331 at 8100-8500 with no issues whatsoever.Most of us know who makes the lifters.

http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=191_286

[ 2014-08-13, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lifters do not care about RPM . I shift my camaro well in to the 7500 Rpm band with absolutely no issues. Why would the lifters care about RPM BAND????? I shift my 331 at 8100-8500 with no issues whatsoever.Most of us know who makes the lifters.

http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=191_286

Because I just want to known what his rpm range is.is that a problem for you super tech?
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Actually thank you as i am a super TECH. I hold 28 ASE certifications and i am also I car certified. And here is the rewards

-

[ 2014-08-13, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Actually thank you as i am a super TECH. I hold 28 ASE certifications and i am also I car certified and you???

8 ask some else certs. an a California emissions inspection license for the last 15 years.dealer trained ford, Mercedes Benz, an Toyota technician an going now I my fourth brand this year after retiring 2 years ago.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

So does this mean we are buddies. Or we can call it a day and get along. Ok so you are a BENZ GUY. How about this First CLA 45 in the country and i love it. After 40 miles of driving it with it's bleak 355 Hp it now produces 480 AWHP. Not bad. And yes the warranty is definitely VOID. But what do i care as i build these for MB after they are imported and get blown away by a camaro, So MB uses me as there vendor. Thank you now lets get along. We can do more good working together, Thanks Tom

First thing i did was drop it one inch. Then the ponies needed to be improved as you can see Tom Jr did the rest of the body for uniqueness,Even down to the color of the brakes and did the wheels also. Notice the black on the window trim which we changed, Hay have a great day Sir. We love this car. People have no clue what it is. We blow away those turbo porches with regularity. On the highway a Porsche is dead meat. And it is the fast ones not the NA ONES!!

-

-

[ 2014-08-13, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ok I'll clearify a couple things. I ment spring pressure not the cam. My cam is matched for these springs. Also I shift at 6500-6700. But usually 6500.. I was told by gromm racing (which is one of the best shops in the bay) to get the comp cam short travel lifters because of my quick reves, high reves, and spring pressure.... I wanted good quality parts which almost seems like it's biting me in the ass right now.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

quote:
Most cam grinders use all the same lifters. They contract from the cheapest vendor normally. We use stock lifters in chevys Dodges and fords. The cam is not the issue with lifters. It is the Valve spring pressures. Normally Performance engines use dual valve springs putting extra loads on the lifters. But i run a 658 Lift cam in my LS3 and use stock chevy lifters. Your cam is not that big as i read the post. I asked for the specks but you did not post them. .Ford does make a high performance lifter as i remember. Bubbed as an anti pump up unit. I really could not explain what an anti pump up lifter is as i was never able to tell the difference one bit. Anti pump up just another BS story from the aftermarket crap selling point.

I'm sure the body of the ls3 lifters are different than mine... As far as specs of the cam I don't post them because that's something I don't want to share with the public. If you really want to know pm me and I'll tell you.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by Pure Stang:
Ok I'll clearify a couple things. I ment spring pressure not the cam. My cam is matched for these springs. Also I shift at 6500-6700. But usually 6500.. I was told by gromm racing (which is one of the best shops in the bay) to get the comp cam short travel lifters because of my quick reves, high reves, and spring pressure.... I wanted good quality parts which almost seems like it's biting me in the ass right now.

Makes sense why told to get those lifters. Have talk to gromm racing about your problem. I take they were the ones to assemble it for you.
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:

Makes sense why told to get those lifters. Have talk to gromm racing about your problem. I take they were the ones to assemble it for you.
Yes everything was assembled and fully balanced there. Even the pistons where weighed and worked on to make everything weigh the same lol. Just sucks that I spent all this money to have this problem just 1k miles down the road. If it's something more serious I'm going to scrap everything but the hci and get a dart block.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

I would call gromm in the morning an tell what's going on you may have a parts warranty on the lifters.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

PS i do not understand your reasoning for not posting cam profiles but that is your right. What has to be done here is you need to find out why those lifters are not pumping up. Clearly they did for 1000 miles so one has to wonder why this happened. Once again either the check valves in the lifters failed or they are not getting proper oil pressure to them. I said yopu should contact the maker of these lifters no dought. But it is not likely they will admit they have an issue. But then again you never know. Also why in the world did they make the bodies longer is beyond me. And as far as using LS lifters i never suggested that i just gave you an example that we use factory units with no issues. Good luck .

If memory serves me i think there is a way to make those lifters removable by some slight grinding of reliefs to the head. I have never done it but i seem to remember Joe over at Ford Competition engines talking about that. I also contacted Joe on your issue and all he builds is ford racing engines and he never uses those lifters. have a great day guys.

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Street races like to keep everything on the down low.so it makes it a hustlers game when racing.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

OK i got it. Thanks!!

--------------------

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Heads, lifters and push rods check out good. So I'm just going to pull the engine and inspect everything. Sucks since the engine just finished breaking in.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

For those that helped car has been running great.... I know I didn't update it a little late but you guys would not guess what it was.... Oil pick up tube broke and was hitting the rotating assembly haha.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
For those that helped car has been running great.... I know I didn't update it a little late but you guys would not guess what it was.... Oil pick up tube broke and was hitting the rotating assembly haha.

That's crazy wouldn't even thought about that.
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:

That's crazy wouldn't even thought about that.
Right! After switchng the pick up tube everything was great. I've never had this happen or even heard of anyone having this problem.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You picked the gayest mercedes out of them all. smh man card revoked!

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com