Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with lifter-..... Late post but solved! Problem on last page (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Need help with lifter-..... Late post but solved! Problem on last page
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
who makes the lifters you are using?? That lifter pictured above is classic of a roller failure. That in turn wipes out the cam. Like i said something has to go wrong to wipe out a roller cam. Looks like a seized roller or the roller is soft. Have a great evening guys

Which would be a flat cam?
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Thanks for the info.

[ 2014-08-06, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happened to my Pontiac motor many years ago. The link broke and the lifter spun also. Thank you

[ 2014-08-06, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well adjusted my rockers. And still has a loud tick! Really starting to bug me. So next is taking the heads off to check the lifters?

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Stang:
Well adjusted my rockers. And still has a loud tick! Really starting to bug me. So next is taking the heads off to check the lifters?

Yeap tear down an inspection is the next step.

An have you had the oil filter cut open yet to see if there is metal in it.

Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Stang:

Yeap tear down an inspection is the next step.

An have you had the oil filter cut open yet to see if there is metal in it.

On the first oil change I didn't see anything. Going to change the oil again and see if there's anything now.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Who makes the lifters PS just curious. And who makles the cam just curious. Thanks

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Who makes the lifters PS just curious. And who makles the cam just curious. Thanks

Go read the frist post an you will find out what lifters he used.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

I saw that call COMP cam if you have there lifters. I am sure you have them if you have there cam. If you set up your Geometry correctly you do not need short throw units. I do not use the short stroke ones but to each his own. What i meant by what cam you have i wanted the specks. I apologize for not making that clear.I asked the question incorrectly Sorry. Is it a very aggressive unit?? With 1000 on the build those lifters should not be an issue. If i may did you say you had more that one collapsed or just one. If it is bank specific the galley plug may have come out. If it is just 2 or 3 on different banks it is not. I had an engine FORD that this happened to last month. Same thing the lifters collapsed. Once again good luck.

[ 2014-08-09, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

quote:
I saw that call COMP cam if you have there lifters. I am sure you have them if you have there cam. If you set up your Geometry correctly you do not need short throw units. I do not use the short stroke ones but to each his own. What i meant by what cam you have i wanted the specks. I apologize for not making that clear.I asked the question incorrectly Sorry. Is it a very aggressive unit?? With 1000 on the build those lifters should not be an issue. If i may did you say you had more that one collapsed or just one. If it is bank specific the galley plug may have come out. If it is just 2 or 3 on different banks it is not. I had an engine FORD that this happened to last month. Same thing the lifters collapsed. Once again good luck.

I don't know how to tell if a lifter is clapsed. The cam is milder side made for boost. All the rockers moved and seemed fine but one seemed super stiff. Even after adjusting it, it had no play at all. Lifter are comp cams short travel lifters. Everything was matched up correctly.

[ 2014-08-09, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Pure Stang ]

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Pm me your number an I will explain what to look for.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

You know what a collapsed lifter is. Your video shows it clearly. Not pumping up and when you push it down it has play. Simple!!! The lifters should pump up and be solid as a rock. You should not be able to push them down.The clicking noise that brought it to your attention is proof positive you have collapsed lifters. Good luck.

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
You know what a collapsed lifter is. Your video shows it clearly. Not pumping up and when you push it down it has play. Simple!!! The lifters should pump up and be solid as a rock. You should not be able to push them down.The clicking noise that brought it to your attention is proof positive you have collapsed lifters. Good luck.

I think he want to know how to visual check if there collapsed.
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

quote:

So from what you are saying every lifter but one is bad? They where all doing that. Except one that was rock solid no movement... This sucks I'm going to have to pull the heads and replace all the lifters from my understanding.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

The video is quite visual dont you think. There is either an issue with those lifters all of them i dought it. If he can in fact push them down like in his video they are clearly collapsed. If he has only one that is hard it might be on lift without seeing it in person i can not tell. But chances are they all can not be bad. Check all of them like you did in the video and post back. Something has gone really bad here. Like i said the last engine we saw this on had a galley plug fall out. No oil pressure to the lifters they can not pump up. And further more he said they were ok for 1000 miles. That is the key that either all those lifters have an issue or he has a common problem with that block.

--------------------

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

quote:
The video is quite visual dont you think. There is either an issue with those lifters all of them i dought it. If he can in fact push them down like in his video they are clearly collapsed. If he has only one that is hard it might be on lift without seeing it in person i can not tell. But chances are they all can not be bad. Check all of them like you did in the video and post back. Something has gone really bad here. Like i said the last engine we saw this on had a galley plug fall out. No oil pressure to the lifters they can not pump up. And further more he said they were ok for 1000 miles. That is the key that either all those lifters have an issue or he has a common problem with that block.

It has pressure and oil coming out from all the rockers. After I adjusted them they did not move like the video.... I'm just gonna pull the heads and inspect every lifter and the cam. If nothing is wrong. I'm just gonna run it till it blows.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

4IDFOX
¯
Member # 9921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4IDFOX  Ford pictures for 4IDFOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call Comp and talk to them. They just replaced a set of rockers that where tightening up and going away after only 1 hour of dyno time. They were aware of the problem with a batch of there rockers. Could be the same with some of there lifters also.

They do not make these things. They are made by someone else with there name on them. The only thing they make are cams. I am not a fan of comp products.

Are you sure the noise isn't rockers.
How much preload are you giving the lifters ?
How are you adjusting preload ?

[ 2014-08-10, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: 4IDFOX ]

Posts: 375 | From: Redding CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to throw this out there. You only need to take the intake off to check lifters. You don't need to pull the heads off.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
Just wanted to throw this out there. You only need to take the intake off to check lifters. You don't need to pull the heads off.

Don't I need to take the lifter out to Inspect a lifter?.. My lifters are aftermarket they will not come out because they hit the heads. I have tried taking them out with the heads and that's a no go.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

How do you check a lifter by just pulling the intake and looking at the top of them??? They are not pumping up. They either are defective or not getting full oil pressure. My guess is they are defective. If you used aftermarket lifters as you clearly did they are a tad longer and need the head removed to either install them or remove them. That is as i posted is something i would not do or use those lifters for that reason. Simply put this is the garbage the aftermarket bestows on us and you need to know when not to use that crap. I do not want to start a pissing match but comp lifters are GARBAGE. Just My opinion.

[ 2014-08-12, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
How do you check a lifter by just pulling the intake and looking at the top of them??? They are not pumping up. They either are defective or not getting full oil pressure. My guess is they are defective. If you used aftermarket lifters as you clearly did they are a tad longer and need the head removed to either install them or remove them. That is as i posted is something i would not do or use those lifters for that reason. Simply put this is the garbage the aftermarket bestows on us and you need to know when not to use that crap. I do not want to start a pissing match but comp lifters are GARBAGE. Just My opinion.

You may see the hydraulic part of the lifter aka the plunger stuck down in the bore.

Some folks need to see the bad part to believe it.

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

quote:

That's why I said if I would have known this was going to happen I would have never gotten this type of lifter. I did not assemble the engine.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

If the lifter was stuck down he would not have that spring effect when he pushed down on the rocker. As i said there is absolutely no reason to look at those lifters. They belong in the garbage or dumpster whatever fits you trash needs. If in fact the lifters were totally collapsed and not just not pumping up then he would not have the spring action he posted in his video. Get the tools out!!! It is party time. Good luck.

What sucks is this would have been a simple fix if the lifters are the issue. And if those lifters were not used. They would have just popped out without removing the heads. The price paid by aftermarket junk.

[ 2014-08-13, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-

[ 2014-08-13, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
If the lifter was stuck down he would not have that spring effect when he pushed down on the rocker. As i said there is absolutely no reason to look at those lifters. They belong in the garbage or dumpster whatever fits you trash needs. If in fact the lifters were totally collapsed and not just not pumping up then he would not have the spring action he posted in his video. Get the tools out!!! It is party time. Good luck.

What sucks is this would have been a simple fix if the lifters are the issue. And if those lifters were not used. They would have just popped out without removing the heads. The price paid by aftermarket junk.

Go back a read where he said all but one rocker could be re-adjusted

Page: 1  2  3   
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com