Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » UPDATE: Engine tick diagnosis. SOLVED!!! (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: UPDATE: Engine tick diagnosis. SOLVED!!!
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dohcfox:
Check to make sure the spark plugs are tight. Sounds stupid but when they back out a little compression pushing thri the threads can make a similar lash adjuster noise.

Yea spark plugs were all good that's the first thing I checked. At this point I really think its an exhaust leak because when I listened thru the hose I heard a noise that I wasn't able to replicate anywhere else on that exhaust manifold or on the other side of the manifold. It sounded like gas escaping so before I go any further I am going to take care of that by installing new gaskets and most likely some headers.

[ 2014-04-27, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
Terminator
Member # 13115

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Terminator  Ford pictures for Terminator    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got the same problem on my driver side though, i swapped out the lifters put thicker oil with additive flushed an repeated twice also changed out the cam phaser sensor that sits above the valve covers i still have power not slugish like yours the plugs look fine torqued down, checked the exhaust- tighten i have all the tools just not sure what else to check the ticking is driving me crazy Lol [Confused] [Confused]
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Carefully with the thicker oil thing. Ford has several technical service buillitans out about people putting the wrong viscosity oil in and causing more problems. The engines are tight clearance and the thicker oil has a hard time getting thru the passages and through the bearings etc, causing all kinds of problems. Cam phasers are very common on three valve engines.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Terminator:
I got the same problem on my driver side though, i swapped out the lifters put thicker oil with additive flushed an repeated twice also changed out the cam phaser sensor that sits above the valve covers i still have power not slugish like yours the plugs look fine torqued down, checked the exhaust- tighten i have all the tools just not sure what else to check the ticking is driving me crazy Lol [Confused] [Confused]

Mine runs fine, never said it was sluggish.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by SacGrown89GT:
Ide use thicker oil. I know you said you use whats recommended. But ide use thicker

Horrible advice..

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Update: I thought it was an exhaust leak. I had a shop confirm it is not. They said it might be a bad rod bearing from what they can hear on the outside. Idk about that it doesn't sound as loud as the rod knocks I hear. Mystery continues...

I guess I'll start investigating what Dohcfox recommended.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

UPDATE: I was inspecting the rocker arms when I noticed one moving freely. Now when it push on the lash adjuster part it wiggles up and down like the rest of them but the rocker arm itself is very loose when I barely touch it it moves freely around. Also noticed the cam lobe eaten up on this one spot. Pics up soon.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

-

Notice the cam lobe to the far left has been chewed up.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

How should I go about this repair?? Shoutout to Dohcfox thanks for all the info on helping me diagnose.

The lash adjuster for that valve is collapsed. Any info/tips on how to remove it? Do I need to remove the cam to get to it?

[ 2014-05-07, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Got the lash adjuster out doesn't seem too bad but replacing anyways. The follower on the other hand is chewed up and the roller is stuck not rolling at all.

Replacing both lash adjuster and rocker arm tonight.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like a perfect time for a cam swap!
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

^^It would of been but this is my dd so no time for downtime had to get it running safely asap. Id rather spend the money from a cam install for a top end kit for my fox.

Problem solved!! [patriot]

Bought a lash adjuster and rocker arm from ford for $30 and some change. popped them in changed the oil now its running smooth and quite (as it can get) again.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol. See was it just what I thought?

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by dohcfox:
Lol. See was it just what I thought?

Exactly what u said it was.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com