Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » UPDATE: Engine tick diagnosis. SOLVED!!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: UPDATE: Engine tick diagnosis. SOLVED!!!
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My gt started making a ticking noise then went away for a while. Today it came back again and is louder and very annoying. It is in sync with revving. Motor is a 3v on a 2007 mustang running 5w-20 (it's what it is suppose to use) fully synthetic . Any ideas on what it could be and solutions? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c-hJBWXIChM

It's coming from the passenger side of the engine bay.

UPDATE ON NEXT PAGE

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

[ 2014-05-07, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ps no stuttering or noticeable loss of power.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry dp

[ 2014-04-24, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lifter tick?

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ide use thicker oil. I know you said you use whats recommended. But ide use thicker

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a lifter.

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
exhaust leak ......

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

use a rubber hose like and stethoscope and you'll be able to figure out if its an exhaust leak or not

--------------------

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have to hear it in person. Cam phasers are common on those. I do one a week or so.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
57 f100 built on 06 Lincoln navigator frame
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dohcfox  Ford pictures for dohcfox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The rollers also fall out of the followers all the time and eat the cam up

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

BTLD GT
¯
Member # 5229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BTLD GT  Ford pictures for BTLD GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by dohcfox:

this, i just did one like 3 weeks ago. take it to a shop right away. all your doing is sending metal through your motor.

Daniel

--------------------
2000 Cobra R

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by BTLD GT:
quote:

this, i just did one like 3 weeks ago. take it to a shop right away. all your doing is sending metal through your motor.

Daniel

Shit

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
quote:
quote:

Daniel

Shit
Well I think it's most likely the cam phaser it runs as good as it normally does and I don't see any shavings in the oil. I might as well just leave it alone and put on an off-road midpipe to distract me from the annoying noise.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Daniel

Shit
Well I think it's most likely the cam phaser it runs as good as it normally does and I don't see any shavings in the oil. I might as well just leave it alone and put on an off-road midpipe to distract me from the annoying noise.
Scratch that. Did some more research and diagnosing. More likely it's the lash adjusters.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Just check the cam and followers close if you pull the valve cover off. Phasers make more of a knock at idle. Then go quiter when you load the engine a bit. Phasers are easy to replace. You don't need to pull the front cover Ither, there is a special tool to stick down the chains and depress the chain tensioners so you can do them in the car

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Just check the cam and followers close if you pull the valve cover off. Phasers make more of a knock at idle. Then go quiter when you load the engine a bit. Phasers are easy to replace. You don't need to pull the front cover Ither, there is a special tool to stick down the chains and depress the chain tensioners so you can do them in the car

I'm currently investigating with the valve cover off. There is no timing chain slack whatsoever and cam phaser looks ok. Plus this noise is always there regardless of temperature, rpms, etc. which leads me to believe it to be the lash adjusters.

I don't see any unusual wear but I'm no expert by any means. Pics going up soon.

[ 2014-04-27, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Not sure if these are going to be of any help but worth a shot

-

-

-

-

-

[ 2014-04-27, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you make sure its not an exhaust leak?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

You will need the special tool to pull the followers. The needle bearings under the roller are what spit out. It will still roll but allow for too much valve lash making the ticking sound. You may be able to roll the engine over by hand until each follower is on the base circle of the cam. Then reach under and wiggle the followers. Of thee is any movement then investigate that follower and adjuster set carefullu

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire532FB:

Would a seafoam treatment assist in finding a leak in the exhaust manifold?

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
You will need the special tool to pull the followers. The needle bearings under the roller are what spit out. It will still roll but allow for too much valve lash making the ticking sound. You may be able to roll the engine over by hand until each follower is on the base circle of the cam. Then reach under and wiggle the followers. Of thee is any movement then investigate that follower and adjuster set carefullu

Thanks for all the help. Looks like I'll be needing more tools before I can continue. Gotta wait till next weekend

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:

When you mentioned this I had an epiphany after seeing everything else looked proper, the muffler on that side is hanging freely do to ghetto rigged tail pipe hanger breaking. the hanging tail pipe is probably what stressed out the exhaust manifold area. So I put everything back together and cut a piece of water hose to start listening to everything. I put it over the cam cover bolts everything sounded fine, it took me a while but I finally pinpointed a slight wind sounding noise coming from one spot in the exhaust manifold so im 99% sure this is what the problem is.

Also I don't ever neglect maintenance when it comes to this car, there was not a single spot where sludge has built up from what I saw and also the inside of the valve cover was clean as a whistle.

[ 2014-04-27, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe its time for some longtubes...
Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

quote:
quote:

When you mentioned this I had an epiphany after seeing everything else looked proper, the muffler on that side is hanging freely do to ghetto rigged tail pipe hanger breaking. the hanging tail pipe is probably what stressed out the exhaust manifold area. So I put everything back together and cut a piece of water hose to start listening to everything. I put it over the cam cover bolts everything sounded fine, it took me a while but I finally pinpointed a slight wind sounding noise coming from one spot in the exhaust manifold so im 99% sure this is what the problem is.

Also I don't ever neglect maintenance when it comes to this car, there was not a single spot where sludge has built up from what I saw and also the inside of the valve cover was clean as a whistle.

These new motors don't usually build up any sludge in them. Even with neglected maintence. Sounds like a lifter or follower tick. Cam phasers you can't tell by looking at them. They are just kind of a shot In the dark diagnostic. But like I said earlier cam phaser moise is most noticeable at idle and sounds like a ruthenium knock from the front of the engine.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

dohcfox
¯
Member # 12829

Check to make sure the spark plugs are tight. Sounds stupid but when they back out a little compression pushing thri the threads can make a similar lash adjuster noise.

--------------------
97 mustang track car
83 elcamino d.d.
64 ford galaxie
Porsche turbo

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com