Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Which cam for gt40 iron heads (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Which cam for gt40 iron heads
96stang4.6
¯
Member # 9970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96stang4.6  Ford pictures for 96stang4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
trickflow stage 1 and 1.7s will give valve float I have that set up gt40s with 1.94s 1.7s and trickflow stage 1 it produces too much lift and im kicking my self in the ass for getting it it feels slower than stock. the lift the cam and rockers is like .542 and I would just stay with a 1.6 rocker arm
Flatline
¯
Member # 12081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flatline  Ford pictures for Flatline    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your experiencing valve float, why not upgrade to some stiffer valve springs? Those should keep them from staying open
87TURBO
¯
Member # 9257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87TURBO  Ford pictures for 87TURBO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MACK.GT:
I found out about that after (the 4 degrees ground into it) so now it supposed to have 8* of advance. and no I didn't degree the cam, which was a mistake , but I just assumed they sent me the right cam that I ordered and it would be all good. and to be honest I have no real complaints, I kinda wished that I had set it straight up though, since theres already 4* gound into it. my best et has been 14.3 at 99.8 mph on street tires and front sway bar removed , I wonder sometimes if this set up cou.ld be faster with the cam timing set differently , what do you think Turbo Dan??
OP, Im running GT40P heads btw, similar to yours, with stock valves.

[ 2013-06-07, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: 87TURBO ]

--------------------
turbo people

Posts: 403 | From: modesto/sanjose | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
87TURBO
¯
Member # 9257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87TURBO  Ford pictures for 87TURBO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I found out about that after (the 4 degrees ground into it) so now it supposed to have 8* of advance. and no I didn't degree the cam, which was a mistake , but I just assumed they sent me the right cam that I ordered and it would be all good. and to be honest I have no real complaints, I kinda wished that I had set it straight up though, since theres already 4* gound into it. my best et has been 14.3 at 99.8 mph on street tires and front sway bar removed , I wonder sometimes if this set up could be faster with the cam timing set differently , what do you think Turbo Dan??

99.8 seems low what gears n what intake n ill would run the cam straigth with 1.6

--------------------
turbo people

87TURBO
¯
Member # 9257

quote:
I found out about that after (the 4 degrees ground into it) so now it supposed to have 8* of advance. and no I didn't degree the cam, which was a mistake , but I just assumed they sent me the right cam that I ordered and it would be all good. and to be honest I have no real complaints, I kinda wished that I had set it straight up though, since theres already 4* gound into it. my best et has been 14.3 at 99.8 mph on street tires and front sway bar removed , I wonder sometimes if this set up could be faster with the cam timing set differently , what do you think Turbo Dan??

99.8 seems low what gears n what intake n ill would run the cam straigth with 1.6

--------------------
turbo people

87TURBO
¯
Member # 9257

quote:

--------------------
turbo people

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 96stang4.6:
trickflow stage 1 and 1.7s will give valve float I have that set up gt40s with 1.94s 1.7s and trickflow stage 1 it produces too much lift and im kicking my self in the ass for getting it it feels slower than stock. the lift the cam and rockers is like .542 and I would just stay with a 1.6 rocker arm

I have stock port gt40s just all new hardware, I ran 1.72rr with fcam. Never felt any valve float or anything close to valve float. I'd recheck or redue your valve springs bro

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com