Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Easiest MAF conversion? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Easiest MAF conversion?
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know this is the second thread I've made about mass air. BUT I don't think imma go the swap out the whole engine harness just for the mass air. I had someone tell me that theres a mass air plug that just plugs in like a plug in between the harness N the CPU. Is there really a kit like that? I don't know I just want to convert to mass air N do it quick/easy kuz this is my DD.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
speed density makes about 10hp more stock vs stock, don't bother until you put mods on that effect it's ability to adapt.

meaning, a large cam swap (there are SD friendly cams made by crane cams).

even with a basic vortec s-trim the SD can run perfectly fine.

and those jumper harness's are harder to install than the complete engine harness, btw.

if you're going to do it, get the computer, and engine harness, it can be done in 30 minutes start to finish. Just unhook the computer and eec relay in the footwell, pull them into the engine bay, unplug the salt and pepper shakers and the 5-6 other plugs, plug in the new one...it's not brain surgery.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a '89 engine harness and CPU, but I've been reading that theres some plugs that wont work? I don't know they don't give specifics about what years or what plugs won't work. I'm going MAF because I have my H/C/I waiting to go in this is the only thing holding me back.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its fairly easy to convert to mass air.And you dont need a new harness.You just have to move a few pins and add a few.Ive done it a few times,just google it and youll find lots of step by step instructions.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DIY autotune sells a plug and play stand alone for about 575 and it is SD. MAF conversions are increasingly becoming obsolete and this system pretty much seals the deal for me. I can tune tweecer/BE/EA fairly well and I still would look into this based on processing speed alone.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont you have a newer 5.0 motor in? i wonder why they didnt swap in mass air when they converted? wouldnt the newer 5.0 engine run funny on a 86/87 computer withought mass air?.. but to your question i think at worse with the new harness you have you might have to cut and splice in some same year connectors no big deal neight thats easy shit... do a wire tuck while your in there for the fuck of it go big or go home.

[ February 03, 2012, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: 88FOX ]

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

So there is a kit that plugs in between the CPU and the main harness?

I read the write up on wiring the kit but I think the thing that I truely hate working on is wiring on a car, because I've dealt with real bad hack jobs on my past cars. It just frustrates me to a whole other level when it doesn't work the first time.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by 88FOX:
dont you have a newer 5.0 motor in? i wonder why they didnt swap in mass air when they converted? wouldnt the newer 5.0 engine run funny on a 86/87 computer withought mass air?.. but to your question i think at worse with the new harness you have you might have to cut and splice in some same year connectors no big deal neight thats easy shit... do a wire tuck while your in there for the fuck of it go big or go home.

Yeah I have a '95 block but everything else was from the original motor, N my car likes to turn off a lot. Wire tuck!? this is my DD Cody boy I don't have time to experiment shit.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:

Yeah I have a '95 block but everything else was from the original motor, N my car likes to turn off a lot. Wire tuck!? this is my DD Cody boy I don't have time to experiment shit.
its just runnin wires through the cowl and fenders shieettt
Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Neight...the plug and play does exist. I used to have one on my old 86 GT. I'm not sure exactly where to get it from but I know it's expensive. I got mine for $100 used but new they go for like $4-500. Good luck!

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by CagedBlueGT:
Neight...the plug and play does exist. I used to have one on my old 86 GT. I'm not sure exactly where to get it from but I know it's expensive. I got mine for $100 used but new they go for like $4-500. Good luck!

FIND THAT SHIET! I been looking all thru google for it, can't find nothing but shit I don't want!

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

http://compare.ebay.com/like/200533073456?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y this? if this is it you owe me taco bell

[ February 03, 2012, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: 88FOX ]

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/200533073456?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y this? if this is it you owe me taco bell

Nope. From what I heard its a thin ass connector that PLUGS in between the CPU N main harness.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/package-deals-ford50-c-53_57.html

For tech service contact Ben Berusch. Cool guy and knows his stuff. My understanding is he was in charge of this project.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have done a Pro-M conversion kit, looks like the one in the EBay AD. I didn't like it, you change a few pins on the original computer harness connector, run a jumper wire to the fuel pump relay, and I think there was an optional jumper wire to the tranny, I can't remember, I forget how the mass air meter harness plugged in, that was like 12+ years ago, the kit just seemed like a cheap way of doing it. If you already have the 89 harness and computer, that's the way I would do it, a 90-93 harness will not work.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is one on Corral in electronics
Ford Motorsport for like $225
here it is: http://forums.corral.net/forums/electronics/1344424-87-88-motorsport-mass-air.html
This is the easiest, best way to convert an 86 to MAF. The Ca88,89 harnesses are completely different and would require alot of cut/splicing as well as good wiring diagrams.

[ February 04, 2012, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: MUSTTANGUY ]

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

I simply do not see the point of going with a MAF conversion when a modern PNP is available. True, the initial cost is higher but the benefits more than outweigh the investment. (More so when upgrades are considered.) Not to mention the PNP is fully tunable. To get the same performance out of the EEC will take more of an investment in hardware and software than the total cost of the PNP.

--------------------

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am curious why a 89 Harness wouldnt work? I used a 89 harness when converting my 88 Coupe from 4 cylinder to V8.
Seemed to work for this guy also
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/227224-1988-mustang-mass-air-conversion-using-1989-harness-no-spark-fuel-pump.html

http://www.cjponyparts.com/Tech-Fox-Body-Wiring/a/174/

[ February 05, 2012, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: racsirx ]

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
AR_Stang
351W
Member # 10223

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AR_Stang  Ford pictures for AR_Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MUSTTANGUY:
There is one on Corral in electronics
Ford Motorsport for like $225
here it is: http://forums.corral.net/forums/electronics/1344424-87-88-motorsport-mass-air.html
This is the easiest, best way to convert an 86 to MAF. The Ca88,89 harnesses are completely different and would require alot of cut/splicing as well as good wiring diagrams.

I converted my 87 with a ca88 harness, and it was easy plug in play.

--------------------
-American Revolution-

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was under the impression this was a MAF conversion on the 86 listed in his post. If this is the case the wiring in an 86 is completely different than the CA88 to 89. (or 87 for that matter)
If the vehicle in question is an 87 or non CA 88 there is no discussion as the CA88 and 89 is the solution to a 98% plug and play conversion, the only differences would be a different connector to the TAB and TAD solenoids on rear of passenger shock tower.
If vehicle is indeed an 86 then the separate MAF harness is the easiest way to go.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

cees87drop
¯
Member # 4066

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cees87drop  Ford pictures for cees87drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html .. I did this to my car. Pretty simple and straight forward.
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Still awaiting verification of vehicle year .......

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If u have ur heart set on a MAF coversion, I think the corral has a decent right up on it. As far as what I did - I added an s-trim + N2O and a MAF delete in my 89... www.Megaquirt.info. Check it out, its a lot of homework but instead of paying someone to try and tune ur shit u can figure it out urself. Big learninging curve, but helps to have homies. I'd say keep it SD. JMHO

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Sorry I don't really come on tech talk, just when I need questions answered. I thought this thread died out but guess not. Yes my car is a '86 with a '95 block.

Musttanguy: So you're suggesting to just take out the MAF wires N just do all the wire moving stuff like in the links? I was told that the wiring harness was from '89.

Also I want to go MAF because my cam is a B303 N I don't think its SD friendly at all. Plus from what I heard/read is that staying SD gives you headaches when you decide to doing more upgrades to your motor.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Yep, vehicle is an 86 ...... thats what I figured.
The 86 harness is quite different than that of the 87 and later harnesses so the ease of using an CA88 or 89 harness is out the window.
If you look at one of my above posts there is a Motorsport conversion for sale on Corral, this would be the way "I" would go about it.
You can also wire in your MAF connections to the computer and swap a few pins around but it is more time consuming and alittle more of a PITA.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com