Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cylinder Head decisions (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cylinder Head decisions
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will eventually be doing a H/C/I setup on my 94gt. Besides GT40 irons, what is your opinion on the best cylinder head without breaking your wallet?

This will be on the stock bottom end and I will also be running a TFS1 cam (.499"/.510"). I am not sure if I want to go with 1.6 or 1.7 rockers since I am unsure if I will run into PTV clearance issues.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
LX347hatch
¯
Member # 8668

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX347hatch  Ford pictures for LX347hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've heard good things about the patriot performance heads..they have a fully assembled aluminum set for under 1000.
Posts: 1416 | From: El Sobrante | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would just keep on saving until you can afford some quality aluminum heads. there are used heads for sale here all the time.
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
used set of trick flows can be had for about $900

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the help fellas. I'm going to look into those patriot heads but its not a for sure thing yet. I may take a look at some edelbrocks or just save up more. Still up in the air. Anybody else have any experience with those patriot heads and what kind of power people made with them?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

LX347hatch
¯
Member # 8668

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX347hatch  Ford pictures for LX347hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Either 5.0 magazine or mm&ff did a article on them a while back . Google it . I think they bolted them up to a stock shortblock and were happy and surprised with the results.
Posts: 1416 | From: El Sobrante | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

quote:
Originally posted by LX347hatch:
Either 5.0 magazine or mm&ff did a article on them a while back . Google it . I think they bolted them up to a stock shortblock and were happy and surprised with the results.

Just did a little research on those heads. They seem really good for the price. I am definitely considering getting them. I would just like to know a little more about them before I actually make the purchase. But they are one of the top prospects at the moment. I have till about tax return time to make my decision. Thanks for the heads up about these [patriot]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:
quote:
Originally posted by LX347hatch:

Just did a little research on those heads. They seem really good for the price. I am definitely considering getting them. I would just like to know a little more about them before I actually make the purchase. But they are one of the top prospects at the moment. I have till about tax return time to make my decision. Thanks for the heads up about these [patriot]
heard a lot of people having trouble with those heads. they have a valve seating problem. by the time you fix them it ill cost you about the same as edel, tf, and afr.

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just go to Corral.net and pick up a set of used Edelbrocks if you are on a budget for about $500-$600.

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Edelbrock E-Streets are $900 new. I seem to remember GT40Y heads being relatively inexpensive too.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had some edelbrock performers on my old motor and they were hella fun even with the stock 5.0 cam.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trick Flow and Edelbrock are both solid choices. The GT40X heads are supposted to be ok.

Bottom line.. go with a set of Aluminum heads [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

I will definitely be going with a set of aluminium heads. The biggest decision is to choose which one. I think I might just go with a set of heads that have a good rep like the eddys or svo heads just to be safe. Idk if I should go with a 2.02 or 1.90 intake. Any suggestions? And depending on which size I choose, could I use 1.7 rr or should I play it safe with 1.6?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went with the X306 heads and really like the looks/sound/performance they provide. Go on 5.0 Resto and see some of the kits they have. If I remember correctly I paid a bit under 2000 when I got mine.

--------------------
Make something idiot proof and you only find a new class of idiot!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

quote:
Originally posted by Blubyu87gt:
I went with the X306 heads and really like the looks/sound/performance they provide. Go on 5.0 Resto and see some of the kits they have. If I remember correctly I paid a bit under 2000 when I got mine.

I wish I had that kind of cash to buy some nice heads.. but I'm kinda on a budget [Frown]
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You get what you pay for!! Save up until you can afford a set of quality aluminum heads like AFR or trick flow. That will make or break your set up. As for rr I would fo with 1.6s to be safe.

--------------------
Jesus is king!

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_LX:
You get what you pay for!! Save up until you can afford a set of quality aluminum heads like AFR or trick flow. That will make or break your set up. As for rr I would fo with 1.6s to be safe.

I'm not really familiar with PTV clearence.. is there anyway I can figure out whether or not I could use a 1.7rr with a 1.90 intake?

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_LX:

I'm not really familiar with PTV clearence.. is there anyway I can figure out whether or not I could use a 1.7rr with a 1.90 intake?
All production engines are different so just because a setup worked on someone elses car doesnt mean it will work on another car with the exact same part's. So if You have stock piston's then You might want to go with AFR 165 or twisted wedge. Head's and cam will make or break a setup so save for the good ones!

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Leave room to grow, no matter what u buy. for a set of aluminum heads If it was me looking for a set on a budget I would go with the edlebrock performer heads or for like 300 more you could have the afr or twisted wedges.

buy a set of 1.7rr before you buy the heads, then when you are doing the head swap bolt them onto the heads, get some clay, lay down the gasket on he block put a small "pancake" on one of the pistons bolt the head down (you probly don't need to torque it to specs) then pull the head back off and see if you are having any clearance issues because of the 1.7s, if you are then stick the stockers back on and sell/trade for some 1.6s

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
id mess round n get the afr's!

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AFR 165, 321/339rw on my little 302 that stops making power at 5800rpm.
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Thanks for all of the replies fellas [patriot]

Looks like I will be looking into all 3 (eddys, afr, TW). It all comes down to pricing and what kind of deal I can get on the heads. I understand that the heads are thee most important part of making power, but for a full time college student and part time worker, I have to make a couple sacrifices along the line. For an investment like this, I will not be in a rush so hopefully a great deal will come up!!

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Nastysvt
¯
Member # 6431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nastysvt  Ford pictures for Nastysvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
after you knock out majority of your general ed. get a full time job and then school part time like me [Big Grin] make money and get an education while still building your car [burnout]

--------------------
Built 98 Cobra
Built C6 Z06
Daily TBSS

Posts: 2575 | From: Valley to the Bay | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

quote:
Originally posted by Nastysvt:
after you knock out majority of your general ed. get a full time job and then school part time like me [Big Grin] make money and get an education while still building your car [burnout]

Hey Phil.. shut up

lol jk [patriot]

[ January 09, 2011, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: SLOWSN95 ]

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if i were 2 buy sum alluminum heads afr's is tha way 2 go bud!!n sfcoupe what u mean ur set up stopped makin power after 5800??what else u runnin wit those heads??

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com