Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cylinder Head decisions (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cylinder Head decisions
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 915.0gt:
buy a set of 1.7rr before you buy the heads

Why buy 1.7 rockers, only to limit yourself on cam selection? And yes, you do torque the heads when checking PTV clearance...and put a head gasket in there as well. When you're talking .039-.044 thickness for a HG, plus the torque, it can make/break a setup working.

My advice...buy a set of used heads/rockers/pushrods from someone upgrading their combo. You get matched parts for cheap...that's what I did with my first build.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
quote:
Originally posted by 915.0gt:
buy a set of 1.7rr before you buy the heads

Why buy 1.7 rockers, only to limit yourself on cam selection? And yes, you do torque the heads when checking PTV clearance...and put a head gasket in there as well. When you're talking .039-.044 thickness for a HG, plus the torque, it can make/break a setup working.

My advice...buy a set of used heads/rockers/pushrods from someone upgrading their combo. You get matched parts for cheap...that's what I did with my first build.

I have already purchased my cam which is a TFS 1 (.499/.510 lift with 1.6s) I have been extremely curious how compatible the cam would be with different types of heads and whether or not I can get more of a lift out of them. But I couldn't pass up an EXTREMELY low milage tfs1 for the price that I got it for.

John, what would be the best route for me to go if I want to try to fit 1.7s? I heard an edelbrock 2.02 intake would hit for sure, but 1.90s wouldn't? Not too familiar with cylinder heads so any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by clone nprogrss:
if i were 2 buy sum alluminum heads afr's is tha way 2 go bud!!n sfcoupe what u mean ur set up stopped makin power after 5800??what else u runnin wit those heads??

The cam is a street/strip cam designed to make power below 6000rpm. It's impressive to make that power without having to rev the piss out of the motor. It matches perfectly for my road racing application, once you start going above 6500rpm for extended periods on a stock block you will be replacing stock blocks frequently.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com