Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Kill switch ideas (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kill switch ideas
Maxoctane
¯
Member # 1466

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maxoctane  Ford pictures for Maxoctane  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea I've got full coverage but that's not the point. I love my ponies and want to keep them mine! Anyone have experience with effective and reliable kill switches?
Ideally I'm looking for type of switch, amperage, part number if possible, best place to wire it in, etc.. Or even alternatives to a kill switch.
I'll share my tricks; for my 91 I pull the rotor (no not the brake rotor newbie) at night, and for my 98 I slightly disconnect the plugs from the harness to the coils. But just enough so that the casual glance won't be able to tell anything is amiss.
But these are inconvienient methods requiring opening the hood when leaving and returning to the car, and being repeatedly pierced in the leg by an ignition rotor stored in my front pocket while running to catch the bart.
Please share ideas!

[ June 20, 2007, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: Maxoctane ]

--------------------
www.maxcarauto.com
BUY/SELL/TRADE/FINANCE

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
probably not a good idea for people to share their theft deterent tricks in a public forum like this.

Anyone can read them.. including the theives [Wink]

The best teft deterent is to keep your car locked in your garage. You can have all the theft deterents in the world and they won't stop someone from towing your shit.

The next best thing IMO is to get a pager alarm and lojack. If someone tries to jack your shit the pager will let you know right away. Lojack will help you get it back if it does disappear. Although, even if you do get it back there is probably gonna be some shit missing [Frown]

EDIT: Unfortunately the worst place to park your car is at the BART station, movie theaters, and college campus parking lots. Theives know that if they see you park it and leave it you will be gone for an hour or more.

[ June 20, 2007, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'll PM you. i have a pretty cool trick!

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a fuel cut-off and a quick disconnect on the steering wheel.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

Scoobysnack
¯
Member # 6721

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scoobysnack  Ford pictures for Scoobysnack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The first thing to do is disable the door lock. Use an actuator....the older mustang doors can be opened very quickly with no special tools. You can hide a kill switch anywhere....I'm getting one that uses a key. No one really wants to take the extra time to try and steal a car. I have said this in some other posts...cars especially older cars can be take in a matter of seconds with no sign of force. I do not condone stealing but I have stolen my own cars just to see how easy it really is. Let me tell you it is simple. I even watch some kids down the street trying to break into there own truck using the same method I use. They weren't able to do it that day but I am sure they figured it out by now. So just be careful....
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangNate:
I have a fuel cut-off and a quick disconnect on the steering wheel.

same here only me and a few other close people know where my switch is...

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobysnack:
The first thing to do is disable the door lock. Use an actuator....the older mustang doors can be opened very quickly with no special tools. You can hide a kill switch anywhere....I'm getting one that uses a key. No one really wants to take the extra time to try and steal a car. I have said this in some other posts...cars especially older cars can be take in a matter of seconds with no sign of force. I do not condone stealing but I have stolen my own cars just to see how easy it really is. Let me tell you it is simple. I even watch some kids down the street trying to break into there own truck using the same method I use. They weren't able to do it that day but I am sure they figured it out by now. So just be careful....

Yes, it is very easy to steal foxbody's. That is one of the reasons why so many of them are stolen [Frown]

A friend of mine had one stolen from in front of his appartment about 8 years ago. All the doors were locked, he had a club on the steering wheel, AND a kill switch hooked up to his MSD ignition.

He got it back a few days later missing a BUNCH of shit. Turns out that they got into the car w/ no signs of forced entry, cut the steering wheel to get the club off, and disabled the MSD kill switch under the hood (they never found the switch), and then they hotwired the car. They also got his wheels off w/o finding the key to the wheel locks.

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put 10 switches and hide them everywhere. make it so that two have to be in a certain position for the car to run. maybe one just makes the car start but not run. lol

and label 5 of them kill switch. ahaha

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

fastertoys1
¯
Member # 5270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastertoys1  Ford pictures for fastertoys1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maxoctane ive never heard of a 96+ mustang ever being stolen (w/o the use of a towtruck)not saying it hasnt happened but yout ur probably better off with a good alarm.
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the 96+ haave that pats system

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what exactly does that mean?? the pats system??

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Maxoctane
¯
Member # 1466

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maxoctane  Ford pictures for Maxoctane  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Passive Anti Theft System
the transponder key that 'talks' to the computer

--------------------
www.maxcarauto.com
BUY/SELL/TRADE/FINANCE

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

quote:
Originally posted by Maxoctane:
Passive Anti Theft System
the transponder key that 'talks' to the computer

oh gotcha!! i think out jeep has that!! it is a 2000 wrangler

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Theft deterant #1

theft deterant #2

I've always wanted to wire something up to the side mirror switches as a kill switch too.

if you can see or find the switch I'll give you the car

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
put 10 switches and hide them everywhere. make it so that two have to be in a certain position for the car to run. maybe one just makes the car start but not run. lol

ahahaha lmfao!!!!

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a big dog and make your car his home [Big Grin]

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i unplug the fuel relay under the seat. the engine cranks over and over and over giving you time to find the guy in the act so you can beat the shite outta the low life. [Wink]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
i unplug the fuel relay under the seat. the engine cranks over and over and over giving you time to find the guy in the act so you can beat the shite outta the low life. [Wink]

shhhh..... that's a secret....

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

or you could hook your dome light up to a horn loll. so when they open your door, it'll make a loud sound and you can scare them off, or catch them in the act

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i always relocate my clutch safety switch.you gotta hold the button down while starting the vehicle.just make sure its in neutral
Posts: 1143 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ooops!

[ July 02, 2007, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: RedBaron ]

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:

Wire those 5 so they trip the horn!

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

GreyLX
¯
Member # 5601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyLX  Ford pictures for GreyLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Suppose you guys DID catch or walk up on someone while they were trying to steal your car? What would you do? Assault them? Act like it's not your car? Try to detain them til the donut eaters arrived?

How could you avoid assault charges if you DID attack them or injure them?

Not trying to hijack but just curious...

??????

--------------------
93GT DSS331 incon800tti

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
Originally posted by GreyLX:
Suppose you guys DID catch or walk up on someone while they were trying to steal your car? What would you do? Assault them? Act like it's not your car? Try to detain them til the donut eaters arrived?

??????

U could try and do a citizen's arrest and hope they aren't carrying a gun [Wink]
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GreyLX:

??????

Well if it was me, Me and my roomate would beat the living shit out of the person until he's no longer mobile then I would call the cops. Seriously

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com