Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Shifting Problem (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shifting Problem
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by modular:
Why not just adjust the adjustable cable instead of switching them out to stock stuff when they come in "needing a clutch" There is in no way anything wrong with the design of adjustable cables. My girl likes the clutch to engage high so I adjusted hers high, I like mine on the floor so I adjust mine low-No problems here. If people cant adjust, adjustable clutch cables theres a problem. The swing length of the pedal doesnt change by switching the quadrant, so how is a stock quadrant better when you cant fine tune it to where you like it?

Well you go on with your badass adj cable and Ill continue to use what I KNOW works [Wink] [Razz]

I guess you havent read the last few things ive posted.I dont personally like/use nor suggest the use of the aftermarket cables and quadrants.IMO the cables are VERY SHITTY quality and stretch very easliy which is one MAIN reason you will get a shitty clutch adj.Doesnt matter how much you adj it if its stretched,its stretched.Ive seen 200k mile FACTORY CABLES in better quality than the aftermarket shit.I guess different people prefer different parts/options.That just happens to be what I use,always have and always will.

Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WeSTBaY5.0:
Well it has happend recently where 1st gear is very hard to get into, this does it a little on 2nd and also on reverse. what can be the problem?

Note: if i turn the car off i can easily go into gear but not when its on.

Yep here is a bascically an exact example of a car of mine that had this same issue.I adj it till I was blue in the face and NOTHING was fixing the problem.I pulled out the aftermarket china looking cable and some gay aluminum quadrant that looked like something from a cracker jack box.I replaced it with a set of pedals/qadrant and a cable that had at least 125k on it.Everything was perfect,shifted fine and the pedal pressue was awesome.Looked at the cable and it was stretched.It only has 1000 miles on it.AND the owner before me was "talked" into changing it from the shop who did a clutch on the car.It was a stock replacment clutch.
modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okie dokie, I will keep using them and you keep swaping them on customers who dont know how to properly adjust them. [Eek!] [Smile]

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

quote:
okie dokie, I will keep using them and you keep swaping them on customers who dont know how to properly adjust them. [Eek!] [Smile]

Adjust what a stretched cable? they are JUNK.But if you want to install junk in your ride,well homie I aint gonna stop ya
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about a FRPP quadrant with the supplied cable? I bought mine from serramonte after they said the stock cable would have only cost 100 bucks more. And that's a little weird about the stock cable not being stretched, I had to change my stock one out because it was stretched.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

quote:
Originally posted by DLo:
How about a FRPP quadrant with the supplied cable? I bought mine from serramonte after they said the stock cable would have only cost 100 bucks more. And that's a little weird about the stock cable not being stretched, I had to change my stock one out because it was stretched.

Oh it is very possible for a stock cable to stretch over time,its just not AS common and easy as it is on the aftermarket cables.If you compare alot of the avialable cables to the stock FORD ones you will see a huge difference in strength and quality.You cant just base it off of cost and being a true FORD part is going to be a lil more,but a quadrant and aftermarket cable is noticably cheaper than the cost of JUST the factory cables.Hmmmmmmmmmmm
WeSTBaY5.0
¯
Member # 5899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WeSTBaY5.0  Ford pictures for WeSTBaY5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well i have the stock cable... what do i need to do to check this? what are the main things to look at? sorry for the questiions but im a newbie when it comes to that. [Wink]

--------------------
Where did my 1100 posts go??
*originally Member number 4736*

1996 Cobra

1991 NOTCHBACK 43k FORD SALE

Posts: 681 | From: Redwood City | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

quote:
Originally posted by WeSTBaY5.0:
Well i have the stock cable... what do i need to do to check this? what are the main things to look at? sorry for the questiions but im a newbie when it comes to that. [Wink]

Call me up later it would be easier to diagnose talking to ya!
modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haulin has great knowledge and im not challenging that or the fact that a factory cable is better quality-last longer, hes correct, but there is not problem with a properly adjusted "adjustable" cable working flawlesly when adjusted properly-best cable ive used is the $40 summit.. Also Im sorry for the stab at the installs costing more haulin, as in my sig I had a few last night and I would like to add if I could afford to pay someone to work on my cars I would have no doubts with you working on it.

Back on topic... What year car is it on? Ive seen the modular engines with the plastic intakes that crack leak water down on the clutch and cause similar problems. Did you resurface the flywheel? Did you clean the pressure plate with brake clean? Was the flywheel torqued correctly when installed what process was used? Was the correct fluid added and finaly was the clutch put in to correct this problem? If so it could be your syncros but you kinda sound like a typical 87-93 mustang. When going to 1st move the shifter into 2nd half way then 1st and move into 4th first for reverse.

--------------------

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey modular it is a foxbody....

Hey westbay5.0 are you sure its a stock cable? when i sold you the car it had an adustable cable and it has an aftermarket quadrent under there. i blew the clutch 2 times one was a stock one. and than i went to a king cobra and 3 months later again this clutch was starting to slip bad. i always had to go under and ajust it . but now that i think about it it was prob streched and guessing the clutch was fine. So i guess "modular" i was one of those guys that diddnt know how to adjust it, but i adjusted so many times than it would just start sliiping again. the only thing i diddnt have is where you adjust it through the firewall so i had to jack it up and down everytime. Since then on my new fox, i just stick to stock quadrent,cable and its good. Ill never mess with that aftermarket crap till some one shows me how to ajust it right i guess. that shit was a hassle.

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey danny, id like to check it out see if i can give ya a hand, i still got the stock hood for the drop bro so i can drop that off as well, just let me know. damn i miss that vert [Frown] i wouldnt even want to see it. [Frown]

I had that problem "hard to get into gears" when i was about 14 and put gear oil in the tranny, it was so hard and tranny was whinning! but it looks like its prob your cable unless you diddnt install it right. hope you find out what it is [patriot]

[ April 06, 2007, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Eddie510- ]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

quote:
Haulin has great knowledge and im not challenging that or the fact that a factory cable is better quality-last longer, hes correct, but there is not problem with a properly adjusted "adjustable" cable working flawlesly when adjusted properly-best cable ive used is the $40 summit.. Also Im sorry for the stab at the installs costing more haulin, as in my sig I had a few last night and I would like to add if I could afford to pay someone to work on my cars I would have no doubts with you working on it.

Back on topic... What year car is it on? Ive seen the modular engines with the plastic intakes that crack leak water down on the clutch and cause similar problems. Did you resurface the flywheel? Did you clean the pressure plate with brake clean? Was the flywheel torqued correctly when installed what process was used? Was the correct fluid added and finaly was the clutch put in to correct this problem? If so it could be your syncros but you kinda sound like a typical 87-93 mustang. When going to 1st move the shifter into 2nd half way then 1st and move into 4th first for reverse.

I appreciate you clearing that up [patriot] I was throwing some back as well last night being it had been a VERY LONG day [Whoo Whooooo!] .Im just merely saying in my experiance its more of a hassle having the aftermarket stuff vs. the factory stuff.But each person has there preferences that just happens to be mine.Anyhow WERD [burnout]
modular
¯
Member # 6599

. Im starting to think maybe the clutch pedal assembly may have problems, Ive seen a few stripped pedals where they mount on the assembly and a few cracked assemblies both effect the swing. If this was a 5sp conversion car id look into the clutch assembly. In theory the pressure plate needs X amount of movement around 2 inches id guess to fully engage, theres many factoring parts in the system not just the cable. It could have been a bent clutch fork all this time. But who knows without eliminating other factors.

[ April 06, 2007, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: modular ]

--------------------

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

, theres tons of people that dont know how to adjust them properly or like matt says there prob just SHIT. Ill be using the stock shit mean time

[ April 06, 2007, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: Eddie510- ]

--------------------

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

the vert always been a 5 speed modular. and your pms are full DUMBASS mdular mr. no it all

[ April 06, 2007, 05:24 AM: Message edited by: Eddie510- ]

--------------------

modular
¯
Member # 6599

Well an easy, (for me) way, to test my clutch-not tranny has always been to put it into 5th rev to 3-4k at a stop and slip her slightly controling the clutch pedal. If after that it still wont go in smooth Its prolly tranny if it goes in smooth its a clutch prob. Its not 100 and its not the best diagnosis but after so much time and work thats what id do.

[ April 06, 2007, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: modular ]

--------------------

WeSTBaY5.0
¯
Member # 5899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WeSTBaY5.0  Ford pictures for WeSTBaY5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510-:
hey danny, id like to check it out see if i can give ya a hand, i still got the stock hood for the drop bro so i can drop that off as well, just let me know. damn i miss that vert [Frown] i wouldnt even want to see it. [Frown]

I had that problem "hard to get into gears" when i was about 14 and put gear oil in the tranny, it was so hard and tranny was whinning! but it looks like its prob your cable unless you diddnt install it right. hope you find out what it is [patriot]

Eddie Pm me your number.... [patriot]

--------------------
Where did my 1100 posts go??
*originally Member number 4736*

1996 Cobra

1991 NOTCHBACK 43k FORD SALE

Posts: 681 | From: Redwood City | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com