Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Towing with a Lightning

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Towing with a Lightning
illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwill510  Ford pictures for illwill510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im about to get a truck to tow my bass boat. I like the lightnings and wanted to know what u all thought about towing a boat long distances with one? or should i just stick with a non blown ford?
Posts: 785 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by illwill510:
Im about to get a truck to tow my bass boat. I like the lightnings and wanted to know what u all thought about towing a boat long distances with one? or should i just stick with a non blown ford?

Get a powerstroke if you plan to tow ALOT. It wil get much better mileage than a lightning. I towed a car trailer with my brother's lightning and it got about 10mpg.

[ November 12, 2006, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: AJBlackGT ]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
quote:

Get a powerstroke if you plan to tow ALOT. It wil get much better mileage than a lightning. I towed a car trailer with my brother's lightning and it got about 10mpg.
Yeah I heard the L's are alway's in the boost while towing so the mileage is horrible. If You are just towing a small portion of the time and the boat is'nt too big then the L would be [Cool] .

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
quote:

Yeah I heard the L's are alway's in the boost while towing so the mileage is horrible. If You are just towing a small portion of the time and the boat is'nt too big then the L would be [Cool] .
Yep, anytime I had my foot in the gas the thing was making no less than 4psi. The truvk also had a 4lb pulley though.

--------------------
90 Notch

illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwill510  Ford pictures for illwill510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
right on. Im not liking the 10mpg. Hows the milage wile towing with the turbo powerstrokes?
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lightnings are cool to tow with, My dad has towed all my cars with his and he tows his Cobra to the track all the time with it

[ November 12, 2006, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: 1968_Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're going to mod it and tow, make sure to have AND USE the towing tune when you do. If you tow on a max performance tune it can cause pinging and potential engine damage. If you're going to leave it stock, then they tow very well but (as far as I remember)they're only rated to tow 5000lbs. The only other down side is the poor gas mileage that was already mentioned.

[ November 12, 2006, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: iceman302 ]

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

quote:
right on. Im not liking the 10mpg. Hows the milage wile towing with the turbo powerstrokes?

I've never owned a powerstroke, so I don't know from experience, but I would have to assume they get at least 5mpg more than a blown gas truck when pulling the same load.

--------------------
90 Notch

illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

A modded lightining with a towing tune and performance tune on a flip chip would serve as a dual puprose truck. Im just not to comfortable with the low mpg while towing 4-8hrs hours round trip every weekend in the spring/summer. thanks

[ November 13, 2006, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: illwill510 ]

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
A modded lightining with a towing tune and performance tune on a flip chip would serve as a dual puprose truck. Im just not to comfortable with the low mpg while towing 4-8hrs hours round trip every weekend in the spring/summer. thanks

You could always install a Tornado!

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
93mustang50
¯
Member # 6642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustang50  Ford pictures for 93mustang50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you plan on going turbo desiel, dont kid your self go with cummins. i love ford truck but if i am spending all that money on a truck its going to be a dodge cummins.

[ November 13, 2006, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: 93mustang50 ]

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dodge may have a good diesel.... but the rest of the truck blows! My 02 Powerstroke gave me 22 MPG @ 65 MPH.... I get 18 MPG now with 35" tires, and chip, intake, and exhaust and 3:73's. Towing my 28' enclosed trailer at over 12,500lbs. gives me 15 to 16 MPG. Plus... it's 4 wheel drive, and has 4 doors, and will spin the tires from a dead stop with my trailer hooked to it.... try that with a Lightning!!!

[ November 13, 2006, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cummins a good motor yes. But the Dodeges absolutly suck ass! I have a 7.3 PSD. I get around 20 MPG all the time. Mine is 2wd, so when I tow it really doesn't change at all. Oh yeah and Notch 1320 is right. Even with the trailer it will light them up. Once that thing gets some boost build up there is a TON of TQ to put down to the ground.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com