Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » The XE274HR and the lovely state of CA! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: The XE274HR and the lovely state of CA!
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys...I am new to this board, and this is my first post. How y'all doin'? Just for the record, I did do a search, and read about two dozens old threads, but am still curious...

I have a 1990 GT, 180,000 miles and B-O-N-E stock. I got the car with the most hellish rod knock I have ever heard, so I started building a replacement. I'll give you a breif run-down before I move on to my question.

Wheeler Motorsports in Jacksonville is building my short block, a 331 with an Eagle Crank and Rods, Dished pistons, and a Canton main girdle. I already purchased a set of Edelbrock's Performer heads, and a Comp XE274HR cam kit.

That's when I started doing some research, and I guess this cam is pretty nasty for a SMOG'd car. I just wanted to see how many of you guys are running this cam and getting past California's emissions. I built this motor with around 8.8:1 compression. I will be ordering a Kenne-Bell Blow-zilla as soon as I get my tax return, but wanted to get the motor in the car, get the car smogged and registered, and get the motor broken in N/A first. Is this cam a bad choice (I bought it on Kenne Bell's reccommendation)? Would the XE266HR be better if emissions are a concern? How 'bout the E303?

Thanks in Advance,
Casey90GT

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Posts: 1064 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome to the board. I have the E cam with a blower 42 pound inj. etc and pass smog. When I do it again I will def. go custom. [patriot]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hello and welcome to the cafords [patriot]

i have read on other sites about people having that cam profile or larger and passing smog, its just the tech that it depends upon if he will let you pass the visual(idle choppyness), good luck. any pictures of your car?

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't want Edelbrock's Performer heads on a 331. You don't want a Kenne Bell on a 331. Look into AFR185 heads and a Novi, ATI or Vortech supercharger instead. Then don't go too crazy with the cam in fear of cracking the stock block with 500+ rwhp.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 331 with a vortech and a XE274 cam. it passed smog. We don't do a dyno test in Redding just a snifer It has a nice lope to it at idle you will like it. good luck

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NO MANRZ:
Look into AFR185 heads and a Novi, ATI or Vortech supercharger instead. Then don't go too crazy with the cam in fear of cracking the stock block with 500+ rwhp.

The AFR 185's are the sh!t. But why not the Kenne Bell? I know the centrifugals can make more power, but I don't necessarily want more than 450rwhp. They should all be able to make that. Right? I know it sounds crazy with my power goals, but I am not building a drag racer. I just want a really quick street car.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Anyway...I am pretty sold on the kenne bell, but it's cam choice that concerns me.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

So is 2Stangs the only guy that's running this cam and passing smog? I am hoping that somebody is passing a Dyno Smog with it. That 274 is smaller than an E cam's advertised duration, but advertised numbers don't mean anything. It has like 224 and 232 @ .050". That a lot bigger than the E cam's 220 and 220 @ .050". I want to make big power with that Kenne Bell, and that takes opening up the exhaust a bunch. I think the XE266HR will be choking my engine up. Any more advice? As far as cars failing because of a lopey idle, I am not concerned about that. I just want the emissions to be right where they should be for the lovely state of CA. Thanks!!! I appreciate everybody's input a lot.
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Anybody?

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Bueler?

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
we can't say it WILL pass, all we can say is that it CAN pass with everything working properly and a good tune

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

I just figured that more people were running it. Comp says it's their most popular 5.0 cam. I guess I'm being unrealistic, but I had hoped that like ten people would pop up and be like "I passed with it"...that's all. I appreciate everybodies help though. I guess I'll tell you soon enough if I pass with it.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no smog tech can fail u because of choppiness of the sound of the car.
and if all your smog equipment is there it should pass.ive seen nasty custom cams bigger then that pass with a good tune

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would have gone with the trick flow stage 1 cam

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
xe274 is a way superior cam to the stage1 especialy in a 331

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is a shame you are not willing to look at other types of blowers on a fox body. You only hear about strong running KB cars on '03 cobras but maybe your research shows something different.
I think I've read that 2Stangs is a smog tech which would explain why he passes smog with that cam [Big Grin] Will passs, can pass and have passed are 3 different things. There are 1000 HP stangs around here that have passed smog [Big Grin] Think outside the box.
You are correct about not being concerned about a lopey idle. Dyno smog is only reads smog levels at 15 and 25mph.

--------------------
Bring It . . .

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2stangs is not a smog tech, just an enthusiast that has 2 strong running mustangs. the dyno smog is actaully a little friendlier for larger cams compared to the idle test

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

I had the stage 1, I think the 274 will be better. In fact I have a stage 1 cam new in box for $100 if anybody wants it.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Casey90GT:

Wheeler Motorsports in Jacksonville is building my short block, a 331 with an Eagle Crank and Rods, Dished pistons, and a Canton main girdle. I already purchased a set of Edelbrock's Performer heads, and a Comp XE274HR cam kit.

if your worried about cracking the block going over 500rwhp then why build a 331?...you could do over 500rwhp with just a 306 (even a 302) good heads cam and a blower...just trying to save you a couple of bucks...good luck...
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Mr hungry Hippo I have had a CA smog liscence since 1983 and have done 1000 or so smogs OK. I currently work for UPS and we don't do smogs in house.So I don't do smogs technicaly anymore. I am also a ASE Master tech so please don't discredit me so easily thanks. BTW I didn't smog my own car and nothing special was done to it to pass the sniffer. So I am a enthousiest(how ever the hell you spelled it LOL) who has made a living working as a tech since 1985(I am getting damm old also LOL)

[ November 06, 2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

sorry, didnt mean to discredit you. i didnt know you had a smog license and i was trying to make a point that you didnt hook yourself up

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

thanks...when I built my combo it had to pass smog that was as important as performance. technicaly it isn't legal since it is a stroker 331 and the cam isn't legal but it looks legal and will pass the snifer which is what counts [Wink]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

2 stangs, do you guys do the sniffer on a dyno, or just a two speed idle test? I have a buddy who is a smog tech, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the way he makes his living. Yeah, a stroker is illegal, and so is the cam, but smog techs can't check internals, and if all the equipment is hooked up, and the thing is emmiting the specified amounts of gasses, then nobody really cares. I don't care to have an offroad h pipe or a smog pump delete. They don't save that much weight, and they don't rob that much horsepower either.

In response to NO MANRZ, I have totally thought about running a Vortech and a Paxton, in fact I can get a better "Hook Up" on either of those brands than the KB blower. I think that a Vortech or Paxton or Pro-charger would probably make a faster ride, and definately lay down more power on a dyno. I just figured for a "Street" car the Kenne Bell/331 combo would be torquey as hell, and a whole lot of fun to drive. Not to mention completely different that what 90% of the guys are running these days. I really want to knock people's socks of with this car, and I don't just mean from stop light to stop light. I have a couple of things planned to really get folks to go ooohh, and ahhhh! I just want to know that my cam is a solid choice. Starting to sound like it might be.

By the way, for what it's worth, I watched an E cammed 347 car with 1.7's and a Vortech S-trim with the AMS pipe and PMS system smog with the lowest numbers I've ever seen a mustang put down yesterday. I guess it really is all about the tune. He also said he had over 100,000 miles on his stock H-pipe.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Casey90GT:
2 stangs, do you guys do the sniffer on a dyno, or just a two speed idle test? I have a buddy who is a smog tech, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the way he makes his living. Yeah, a stroker is illegal, and so is the cam, but smog techs can't check internals, and if all the equipment is hooked up, and the thing is emmiting the specified amounts of gasses, then nobody really cares. I don't care to have an offroad h pipe or a smog pump delete. They don't save that much weight, and they don't rob that much horsepower either.

In response to NO MANRZ, I have totally thought about running a Vortech and a Paxton, in fact I can get a better "Hook Up" on either of those brands than the KB blower. I think that a Vortech or Paxton or Pro-charger would probably make a faster ride, and definately lay down more power on a dyno. I just figured for a "Street" car the Kenne Bell/331 combo would be torquey as hell, and a whole lot of fun to drive. Not to mention completely different that what 90% of the guys are running these days. I really want to knock people's socks of with this car, and I don't just mean from stop light to stop light. I have a couple of things planned to really get folks to go ooohh, and ahhhh! I just want to know that my cam is a solid choice. Starting to sound like it might be.

By the way, for what it's worth, I watched an E cammed 347 car with 1.7's and a Vortech S-trim with the AMS pipe and PMS system smog with the lowest numbers I've ever seen a mustang put down yesterday. I guess it really is all about the tune. He also said he had over 100,000 miles on his stock H-pipe.

IMHO with 331 You are going to have plenty down low and a centrifical would match up top.If You are wanting a little more down low go with a T-trim? You are just going to be spinning the tires on the street, and unless You are running slick's at the track will probably spin em there also. What tires and what size are You planning on going with? Not trying to bash on You & I hope Your build goes well. Have You found someone with a similar combo to see if they like it?

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
What tires and what size are You planning on going with? Not trying to bash on You & I hope Your build goes well. Have You found someone with a similar combo to see if they like it?

I have been looking at the Halibrand Cobra III Deep-Lip rims. I don't know if I have a chance in hell of fitting a 17x9" front and a 17x10.5" rear, but that was my aim. I haven't found anybody with an engine combo like I am builing. I was thinking that would be the best part. And I won't be spinning the tires everywhere. I can pedal the throttle with the best of 'em. [Wink]

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com