Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What brand of subframes do you suggest (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: What brand of subframes do you suggest
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Well I think if you have a tube with the same wall thickness as a boxed subframe than I'd agree the boxed subframe might be stronger. In most cases however the boxed sub frames are not as thick. I'm just going off what I've seen. Many cars with different set ups I've thrown a floor jack under them. The boxed style holds up great if you lift it along the factory frame. If you lift it between the factory frame and torque boxes were it isn't supported I've seen the box tubing bend. On the other hand I've never seen the Globals bend up or dent. The MM subs are good quality. It just depends I guess on what your looking to get out of the install. We had a customer at Charlie's that flipped his car over 4 times on a road racing track. After his car was towed back to the shop you could look at the lower body panels and where they crushed to. He had inner and outer Globals. The sheet metal crush all the way to where the outer globals were mounted. It is likely if they had not been there it would have crushed further in board. The decision really comes down to again what a person is looking to get out of a set of subs. How much they want to pay for parts and how much they want to pay for install.

Was this a dark blue fox coupe? if so i saw it..as Charlie had me get on a creeper and take a look at the integrity of this car. I agree those global west inner and outer subs are the best. I was later talked into the griggs racing full frame kit and had it installed and its solid and all but in many ways i wish i had done the global west for the quick and solid jacking anywhere along its length.
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's a saying that goes, "After so long, your just adding dead weight."

I just ordered a set of MM full lenghts and plan on putting them on this friday at my old school. I'll tell you how I like them.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
There's a saying that goes, "After so long, your just adding dead weight."

I just ordered a set of MM full lenghts and plan on putting them on this friday at my old school. I'll tell you how I like them.

I've certainly heard that saying before in respect to the extra weight with the Global's. It's Griggs's biggest selling point for there own subs. While it may hold some water I myself wouldn't mind the extra measure of strength and safety. You can only make a car so strong and so safe why not make it all it can be? If your worried about an extra 15-25 pounds than simply adjust your horsepower and torque levels to accomidate safety and strength.

As far as if that was the same car that was mentioned above it's been days man. I don't recall the color but I do recall the owners name as Frank Wenzel which some may know. His first mod on his new car following one could likely guess.

[ April 12, 2004, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wouldn't a good 6-pt rollbar offer like 100x the protection of subframes to the occupant? just thinking out loud...

of course tying the rollbar to the subframe connectors is a plus too, as would tying the rear shock towers to the rollbar...

but in a rollover crash probably the LAST thing on the car I'd be thinking about would be which brand of subframe connectors I bought.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
wouldn't a good 6-pt rollbar offer like 100x the protection of subframes to the occupant? just thinking out loud...

of course tying the rollbar to the subframe connectors is a plus too, as would tying the rear shock towers to the rollbar...

but in a rollover crash probably the LAST thing on the car I'd be thinking about would be which brand of subframe connectors I bought.

Sure a roll bar is a key choice in making the car stiff and also providing safety. On the car you see pictured in my avatar which is my old car I had an 8-point cage, inner and outer globals and a frame kit in it. It was as strong as you can really get a mustang. Here's an example of what subs do in a crash. Some of you may know Vince that worked for Charlie and now works for Apex. His GT was rear ended on the freeway and 45 plus miles an hour. He saw it coming so he let off the brake pedal so his car would push forward to lessen the impact. Normally this type of hit would have pushed in the rear and buckled to the rear torque boxes beyond being able to straighten the car back to being straight. Upon inspection at the body shop the owner of the shop could not believe the car wasn't a total loss when he was first descibed the speeds of which the rear was hit. He see's this every day mind you. His conclusion was the globals kept the car from being damaged frame wise. The car was repaired and back on the road with no signs of the incident. Vince's car at the time had no roll cage and only the inner global west subs.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love my MM full lengths. I will definately not go and say anything negatively about the other mentioned companies (except Kenne Brown).

Either way both compaines make a good product, available to you at a reasonable cost.

88tbird- Is your name matt by chance?? [Confused]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes its me.
Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
why not try bigboy racing's sub frames? $170 installed. hope this helps, and he is local.

i got these....full length and welded on. [patriot] 170 installed.

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for the hell of it:

wolfe racecraft through the floor subframes = $225

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=293
[patriot] [worship] [worship]

[ April 13, 2004, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: mustanggt5091 ]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
badazz
¯
Member # 1773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazz  Ford pictures for badazz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
for the hell of it:

thats my next purchase, since i got thier 6 pt already [Big Grin]
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by badazz:
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
for the hell of it:

thats my next purchase, since i got thier 6 pt already [Big Grin]
Those are a nice choice. Don't forget to weld down tubes from the cage to them.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com