Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What brand of subframes do you suggest (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: What brand of subframes do you suggest
03GT281
¯
Member # 2944

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03GT281  Ford pictures for 03GT281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wondering what brand of subframe connectors would be best on my 03GT thanks
Posts: 218 | From: FF-707/EDH-916 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Global West are the strongest. They run the full length of the frame. Can support the weight of the car on a floor jack without denting. All around best choice IMO

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
03GT, check these out. Brand new to the market, extreme quality, great looks.

http://www.hansracecraft.com/product/ford/mustang-sfc.htm

-

[ April 11, 2004, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: imbroken ]

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haha someone copied global west's design with some very slight changes

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much do a set of global west sfc's run and can they be purchased anywhere local to south bay/penensula area?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Global West are the strongest. They run the full length of the frame. Can support the weight of the car on a floor jack without denting. All around best choice IMO

I agree, the Global west subs are the strongest.
The Kenny Brown sub frames are some of the worst
ones I have seen.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
Procharged2Kv6
¯
Member # 1563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Procharged2Kv6  Ford pictures for Procharged2Kv6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where can u purchase these GLOBAL WEST SFCs?

how much?

would they work on my 00 V6??

thanks !! [Big Grin]

--------------------
2006 C6 Victory Red
Manual 6 Speed
Stock, For Now!

*SOLD*2003 Cobra Vert
*SOLD*Supercharged V6 Stang
(11PSI)

Posts: 579 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
03GT281
¯
Member # 2944

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03GT281  Ford pictures for 03GT281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was looking at the maximum motorsports theyre good i heard. anyways they have twokinds the full length and the standard which should i get?
thanks [Confused] [Confused]

Posts: 218 | From: FF-707/EDH-916 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

http://www.globalwest.net/

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
http://www.globalwest.net/

cool, it looks like speed merchant in san jose is a distributer, I've seen the shop before but it just appeared to be a bling blang rim shop at first glance, lol [Wink]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
cool, it looks like speed merchant in san jose is a distributer, I've seen the shop before but it just appeared to be a bling blang rim shop at first glance, lol [Wink] [/QB]
they're $449 MSRP dumbass [Razz]

just get the MM full lengths so we don't have to cut up the floor and the welding is going to be free, something like $85 last time I checked. They have the seat supports too.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
quote:
cool, it looks like speed merchant in san jose is a distributer, I've seen the shop before but it just appeared to be a bling blang rim shop at first glance, lol [Wink]

they're $449 MSRP dumbass [Razz]

just get the MM full lengths so we don't have to cut up the floor and the welding is going to be free, something like $85 last time I checked. They have the seat supports too. [/QB]

[Confused] The base Global West subs are 129.99 and theres no cutting of the floor? You've got me confused. The MM full lengths are not a bad part just not as strong
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

the global west ones are $125??

the new ones posted above are 449 msrp but thats not what speed merchant sells

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow that "Ultralite tube design " $125 subframe looks like crush-city to the humble floor jack...

[ April 11, 2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: shade- ]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
wow that "Ultralite tube design " $125 subframe looks like crush-city to the humble floor jack...

Well I am not talking about the ones listed above. I am talking about the Global West Subs. As far as crushing the Globals with a floor jack your dreaming. Anyones thats ever had them or been around the different makers of subs will tell ya they are certainly not weak! How many subs have you installed and used? Me, I've installed Global west's inner and outer designed subs, maximum motorsports full length and standard lengths, griggs racing's subs and frame kit, kenny brown, BBK and pretty much every sub made I've had my hands on and installed. I can't say anything about the above pictured subs but they are similar looking to Globals inner and outter set. Your telling me Maximum's set which comes made with 1-1/4” x 2” x .083 wall thickness is stronger than Globals roll bar tubing built with 1020 seamless .125 wall roll cage tubing, 1-5/8" diameter No where near it. [Roll Eyes]
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Global West is an OLD pioneer in suspension components as many of you probably know, they have QUALITY components.

Also, Shade, hence the reason there are "JACKING" Subs, and the tubular LIGHTER ones which are not meant for jacking.. They are supposed to be awesome *shrug*

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Globals base subs Part# 912 list $129.99
Globals outer subframe assembly Part# 915 $76.99

Globals inner and outer combo pre-welded Part# 921 $320.99

These are prices for a fox body mustang quoted from Global West's web site as I listed above

[ April 11, 2004, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

OK here's a synopsis:

me: the $449 global west subframes are out of budget range

you guys: we're not talking about those, we're talking about the $125 ones, obviously.

me: those $125 ones don't look like they'd support a jack without being crushed

you guys: we're not talking about those $125 ones, we're talking about the super-duper $400+ one's again.

me: sorry I can't stay on topic! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I loved my MM subs on my last Mustang...I could see the difference just by jacking the car down after the install...

I'd try to stay away from tubular subs...For one they offer less ground clearance and for 2 they're generally weaker.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
4.6GT
¯
Member # 2643

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.6GT  Ford pictures for 4.6GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what do sub frame connectors do for the car???? sorry if its a dumb question

--------------------
CAR 2002 mustang GT 5spd
254rwhp/305 ft lb torque N/A

Best E.T
1.93 60ft 13.1 @105

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
I loved my MM subs on my last Mustang...I could see the difference just by jacking the car down after the install...

I'd try to stay away from tubular subs...For one they offer less ground clearance and for 2 they're generally weaker.... [patriot]

The MM subs are not a bad choice, their just not the best choice. As far as ground clearance goes theres a few tubular sets that reduce clearance by cheap manuf.. Global West's do not reduce ground clearance at all. If you all had ever installed them you'd know this as they attach to the frame in a different manner. I am still trying to determine why you all think a .125" walled tube global west sub is weaker than the MM .083" walled sub. Obviously theres a lot of people here who are ignorant to what these #'s mean.
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not try bigboy racing's sub frames? $170 installed. hope this helps, and he is local.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I am still trying to determine why you all think a .125" walled tube global west sub is weaker than the MM .083" walled sub.

MM "standard subs" are 1"x2" rectangular tubing with .120" wall thickness..

MM full lengths are 1-1/4" x 2" with .083" wall thickness...The thinner wall tubing is used to lessen the weight, while the taller dimension increases stiffness by 30% over standard connectors....MM add reinforcing plates at each bend to prevent the flexing which would otherwise occur with the thinner wall tubing... [patriot]

My MM subs had 3-4" welds about every 4 inches along the existing factory sub frames...So, I had more than a couple of connected areas, thus making the floor stronger and flex less....

The Global West Subs are great subframes and I know what you're talking about with ground clearance on them...I was more or less refering to the ones on the 1st page of this post... [Wink]

Aren't tubes easier to bend than a rectangular bar?....Kinda like 4 sides are stronger than 1?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Well I think if you have a tube with the same wall thickness as a boxed subframe than I'd agree the boxed subframe might be stronger. In most cases however the boxed sub frames are not as thick. I'm just going off what I've seen. Many cars with different set ups I've thrown a floor jack under them. The boxed style holds up great if you lift it along the factory frame. If you lift it between the factory frame and torque boxes were it isn't supported I've seen the box tubing bend. On the other hand I've never seen the Globals bend up or dent. The MM subs are good quality. It just depends I guess on what your looking to get out of the install. We had a customer at Charlie's that flipped his car over 4 times on a road racing track. After his car was towed back to the shop you could look at the lower body panels and where they crushed to. He had inner and outer Globals. The sheet metal crush all the way to where the outer globals were mounted. It is likely if they had not been there it would have crushed further in board. The decision really comes down to again what a person is looking to get out of a set of subs. How much they want to pay for parts and how much they want to pay for install.
88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Global West hands down, I only had Global West or Kenny Brown to choose from at the time, so the choice was easy. Excellent fit with no ground clearance lost, however I only had the option of outers for my car. And remember as with all performance parts you get what you pay for and these are well worth it.
Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com