Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » speed density question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: speed density question
Pcharged46
¯
Member # 1664

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pcharged46  Ford pictures for Pcharged46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What parts are needed to convert an 87 5.0 to mass air ? Is it smog legal ? thanks

Will adding exhaust mods like an o/r h and mufflers and gears affect the speed density unit ?

[ February 29, 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: 209LxCoupe ]

--------------------
04 Gt, Procharger,ported bullitt intake, vt cams, patriot heads mahle pistons, manly rods... etc.etc.

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have bbk headers, off road and two chamber flows and no effects on the car (my 86GT) what so ever. But I have to install an adjustable fuel presure regulator cause I think I am not getting full power when I shift at 5k

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Pcharged46
¯
Member # 1664

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pcharged46  Ford pictures for Pcharged46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks !!!

--------------------
04 Gt, Procharger,ported bullitt intake, vt cams, patriot heads mahle pistons, manly rods... etc.etc.

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a maf conversion is smog legal and cheap. but you dont need it for minor bolt ons. but once you remove the valve covers to do mods, you will need the conversion. i think comp cams makes a cam for speed density, but im not sure.

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did it. You need a mass air computer, the wiring harness, and the meter. Depending on whether you go with C&L or Pro-M, you'll need a stock MAF sensor.

I used an A9L computer, the conversion wiring harness from Pro-M's website, a C&L 76mm plumbing and sample tube, and a stock MAF sensor I bought from a CaFords member. In all, it cost around $350. If you get a used C&L, it'd be a lot cheaper though.

Good luck.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh, one more thing. if you do this on a stock car it will be a little bit slower. but you can mod the car just like the maf folks. totally worth it imo [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sure, with absolutely nothing it will be a bit slower, but when you can put a better cam, heads, MAF, nitrous and s/c, you'll be a little bit faster than a speed density car [Big Grin]

speed density only measures the incoming air. actually, it guesses the incoming air is more like it. it uses the MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure) to measure the vacuum in the upper intake manifold, along with other inputs like vehicle speed and throttle position, and delivers the fuel accordingly. it doesn't have anything to do with the exhaust, so you can do whatever you want back there.

[ February 29, 2004, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: zpyro35 ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com