Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » supercharge or heads and cam 4.6? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: supercharge or heads and cam 4.6?
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some guys giving me a great deal on a vortech s-trim, and im also pondering a big boy racing ported heads and comp cam. what you think i should go with?the blower is 2100$ for everything minus fuel pump and heads and cams run close to that.I realize the hp gains will be greater with a blower but im scared about blowing my engine what would you do?

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Figure in the cost of injectors a fuel pump and a chip and tune as well. Probably another $600.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its a tough call Eric. The cost's are going to be about the same. If it were me. I would do something about the tranny first. Then I would get a used SC and a safe tune. After that I would start building a kick ass long block. BTW what were the numbers from your dyno.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Their heads/cam package sounds good to me. I would go with that. reliability, tune, fuel..... That sounds better to me.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know i have a v6 and all....but i have been running into a lot of problems here and there after i got my Vortech. I would go all motor. It will be more dependable and probably a little less money...and you get a decent amount of extra ponies... [patriot]

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote for the heads and cam package... then later you can always get the S/C.
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Supercharger! [patriot]
You can always get more HP out of a blower, a pulley change, a different tune, more LBS of boost....... SUPERCHARGER!!! [patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is smog even an issue because i would think the charger would be easier as far as getting the car smogged in the future depending on how wild the cams you get are...but if it were me i would get the blower and then save money to build the block in the future i'm sure that with a good tune you could run a modest amount of boost very very safely and for long enough to save some $$$$

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got go NA if I were you
Albert

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if that charger is a ONE deal only situation i'll buy that and then get the heads and cams. but its all on you and how you want your motor!!! but big boy does have a good STREET LEGAL heads and cam combo at a good ass price too. late and good luck on your choice... jon
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a charger on my second motor. It gave me so many problems and cost a shit load to get it running right. Right when I thought everything was ok the damn thing blew up and the car sat for a year until I could piece another motor together. Honestly I would go NA much easier and a lot more street friendly

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yeh... hook me up with your charger connection if your doing the heads and cam project!!! jon
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another votefor a supercharger
Andrew WOT
¯
Member # 1249

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew WOT  Ford pictures for Andrew WOT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by chronicsmokin281:
if that charger is a ONE deal only situation i'll buy that and then get the heads and cams. but its all on you and how you want your motor!!! but big boy does have a good STREET LEGAL heads and cam combo at a good ass price too. late and good luck on your choice... jon

I'd go NA route, more dificult but much more fun.
AFAIK comp cams don't have emission legal cams for 4.6 and I doubt they ever will.
99+ stock cams as good as you can get staying smog legal. Plus cams just shifting power band, you gain HP you loose torque and vice versa. And with auto tranny you need all low torque you can get, you can't start off rev limiter like 5-spd. Very loose converter might help but you'll loose driveability.
There was an article in Hot Rod magazine when they installed comp cams on NA Bullit, gained 10 or something hp after 5K and lost about 15 lbft torque down low. Some guys on corral.net reported same results.
But who knows may be the spec wans't a good match to the car.

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just ask yourself, would u rather be blown?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think a blower would be better I mean what did Elwin do with his set-up that was reliable!

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mark i hit 247 rwhp and 286tq divided by .80 with the drivetrain loss of the auto and im at 310 fywheelhp.It's such a debate you guys all have good points.But the passing smog with cams really holds me back.Theres really not many of us 46ers out there who have done cams. i guess i'll give comp cams a call and see what they have to say?I guess it's a risk with a blower even on safe tunes i have heard of guys blowing the motors up. the internals on the 4.6 are horrible mod motors are money pits either which way you look at it [Mad] but i love the car.In reallity im more impressed with a n/a car that can run the 1/4 mi with good times rather than a forced induction car but like someone said it takes more work keep em coming

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know there is something about the feeling of forced induction (any type for that matter) that seals the deal for me!!

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Andrew WOT
¯
Member # 1249

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew WOT  Ford pictures for Andrew WOT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didn't go cams route because of emission issue too. [Frown]
Xtreme Energy is the most aggressive cams they offer. There is a very little chance you'll pass smog with them. At least this is what Dennis Miles from Comp Camps told me. Oh well, looks like there's more hassle then gain with them.

302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i just called comp cams and to me they have the best cams available for the 4.6 and their billet, but they told me it would not pass ca emmisions.I could get regrinds but they suck ive heard nothing but horroe stories and their breaking valves and just porting the heads without the cams really doesn't seem worth it.Damn california rules [BS flag] looks like im leaning towards the sc

--------------------

turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I could get regrinds but they suck ive heard nothing but horroe stories and their breaking valves and just porting the heads without the cams really doesn't seem worth it.

281NA,
There's absolutely no problem with regrind cams, if they are cut properly and you use custom hardened lash caps (like our stage 1 cams). There are too many Mustangs out there that are running regrind cams with no valve train issues at all. When they are not cut the correct way and you grind the lash caps and followers this is where the problems start. This is what the companies were doing that had problems with the regrind cams (I won't mention any names).
Our cams come with a 100% reliability guarantee, they will not have valve train issues.
As far as heads go, if you put on a set of ported, PI heads with stock '99 and up 510-530 cam shafts you would probably pick up another 75-85 RWHP and you would pick up a full point in compression due to the chamber design of the PI heads. If you throw stage 1 cams on top of that, look out! Even if you went with our PI head conversion, with the 2001 intake you would see a big increase in HP. It sucks for the '96-'98 guys, Ford developed a head/cam package that should not have been used on the Mustangs, they stop flowing at about 4,500 RPM (due to lack luster runner and port design and small cams - 480. lift), after that they fall off the map. My suggestion is to make the motor more efficient and add power adders later (the '96-'98 heads/cams will restrict what the supercharger is trying to do [backpressure]). There's no way to avoid the straw sucking heads and cam package on the '96-'98 Mustang.
Good luck with whatever decision you make. [Smile]
- Sheldon

[ October 03, 2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: turbo302 ]

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
Big Boy Racing Fabrication
www.bigboyracing.com

Andrew WOT
¯
Member # 1249

You perhaps missed the point that he already owns 2000 Mustang, with all those PI heads, cams and everyting.

[ October 03, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Andrew WOT ]

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No he doesn't... [dance]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bro I would go with blower, since its just a bolt on it will be easy to install and take off when your done having fun with it...........the eads and cam will be too much work....
Take a mans hint.......JUST GET BLOWN????

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

im sure your refering to the 96-98 crowd gaining 75-85 rwhp because on a 99-up those gains can'rt be possible.I would say about in reality 40-50 rwhp with ported heads and cams on 99-up and yes i do have a 00gt

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com