Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » New Shortblock -or- Rebuild Mine??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: New Shortblock -or- Rebuild Mine??
Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floored  Ford pictures for Floored    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to upgrade my engine on my car. I was leaning twards buying a new Ford Racing shortblock, but then someone told me I'd be better off just having mine machined and buying the forged parts I wanted.

I just want a nice engine for my car. I have a pair of Systemax heads, e303 cam & performer intake sitting (along with everythng else I will need) here ready to be put on whatever block I get.

So if I get new shortblock does anyone know who a good dealer (in Sac) is to buy this from, and where I can find them online? Or if I was to have it machined, whats a good place to take it to here in Sacto??

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

Posts: 788 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can have a better motor put together than a Ford shortblock. Specify the compression for NA or power adder shit like that and have better internals. Those Systemax heads are crap as you'll be told in this thread many times. E-cam is a good cam to have if you want to smog but if you don't care definately get a bigger cam like the X. Good intake manifold. Can't be praised enough. I like AFR heads depending if you go 306 or stroker it would affect the 165 or 185 decision. X cam would work great with that intake and AFR heads. Just my $0.02 [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rebuilding an engine will cost more than buying a new one..trust me..itl cost u close to 4k or so to rebuild...jsut buy a FMS engine

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ford 'explorer' 302 crate motors with the GT-40P heads are still only ~1300 or so.

I'd pick one of those up in a heartbeat.

Your typical 347 shortblock is something like $2500 or so just to compare.

I'm afraid of most rebuilders, personally. [Eek!]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats the route im goin. Getting a FMS short block with forged internals. Also getting the 2000 heads, intake, & some aftermarket cams for the slug. .540 duration intake and .540 exhaust. Should sound nice and a bit lopie.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pull your existing motor (if you havent already) and order a rotating assmebly of your choice. then have an engine builder put it togehter. that way if something fucks up, take it back to that person.
[patriot]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.x2cmotorsports.com have stroker shortblocks starting at $1800 or having it rebuilt with better internals is good too! do what you thinks best and in your price range. jon
chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yeh... if I was in your position i'll try my best in getting that 331 stroker kit in that site and have it fully built up with a bad ass tranny to go along too!!! jon
Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floored  Ford pictures for Floored    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was thinking.. what about if I ditch the 5.0 alltogether and put a 4.6 in?? How would that affect me for SMOG since my car is a 94?

I went on to one of the sites and was looking at this engine, but I was wondering would it have a hard time passing Smog?? http://www.x2cmotorsports.com/cart/shopper.cgi?preadd=true&key=127

Also found this on eBay so I'm wondering your thoughts on this as well..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2432227676

Thanks for the input so far guys!! [Big Grin]

[ September 16, 2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: BarelyLegalGT ]

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BarelyLegalGT:
I was thinking.. what about if I ditch the 5.0 alltogether and put a 4.6 in?? How would that affect me for SMOG since my car is a 94?

Thanks for the advise so far guys, I appriciate it and will be looking into the lnks provided as well [Big Grin]

Aftermarket mods for the 4.6 motors are more expensive, and not much of a selection on parts compared to the 302.

How have ya been girlie? [Wink]

--------------------

Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ryan - what happened to your slug? Got switch happy or sum?? I been ok, hurt my knee pretty bad, lost my job cuz of it and gunna need sugery.. Also been working on my car SLOWLY, it's in the shop right now trying to pass smog and stop overheating.. Hopefully I can get it back in time to get painted this weekend..

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

are you on AIM or Yahoo? Didnt really get switch happy but my intake did blow to pieces!!! [Eek!]

--------------------

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It honestly depends on what you want out of your engine. If you just want a decent combo that packs a punch, what ever is cheapest. If you are looking into adding a blower or N2O later or keep adding parts to get more and more power, then I would buy a stroker or have yours built.

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.6 are good engines and everything and putting it in your car will be smog legal too, but aftermarket parts are too expensive! i'll stick with the 5.0 and swoop up the shit out of it. plus parts are cheaper and most mechanics can work on them! jon
Floored
¯
Member # 2312

quote:
Originally posted by 98StangPower:
are you on AIM or Yahoo?

Yeah I am on AIM, IM me at BarelyLegalGT Ryan. [Big Grin]

As for what I want out of my motor, I want it to pass smog first and foremost. I don't wanna do the every two year switch around. 2nd, I'd like it to pack a punch - however I'm not planning to race it more than once or twice a year - but it be nice to know I have the power there to do good when I do go. 3rd, I want it to run me under 2500$ if possible. I already have heads and my cam set aside.

I really like how 4.6 engines sound and if I got one of those I could be cool with the basic bolt on's since a lot of people have had good luck running theirs in the 13's like that. I just don't know how that would affect smogging my car to have a 99+ newer 4.6 in it..

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you will not be able to swap a 4.6 for under 2500.
i priced it for my fox (its the same swap pretty much) and it came out to be around 4 grand.
not worth it unless you have an '03 motor [worship] [burnout]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you want a 4.6, why not sell the '94 and pick up a used '99 5-speed for like 10k with 50k miles?

4.6 into a 5.0 is WAAAAY too much effort. think about how wide the modular motor is first of all. If you're not into major fabrication and cutting don't even think about it.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Floored
¯
Member # 2312

quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
if you want a 4.6, why not sell the '94 and pick up a used '99 5-speed for like 10k with 50k miles?

4.6 into a 5.0 is WAAAAY too much effort. think about how wide the modular motor is first of all. If you're not into major fabrication and cutting don't even think about it.

Yeah I was thinking bout that.. Maybe with my new job I got I'll look into getting a newer Saleen or something. [Wink]

But for now I wanna get a shortblock in my car since I think the millage is too high to put my heads/cam on the block I have now (its got about 130k)..

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
130k isnt to high to put the heads / cam in do it and dont look back. I just put heads cam blower on a coupe with 140k yesterday and that thing runs great.

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com