Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » N20 on a stock block (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: N20 on a stock block
Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those of you that run nitrous on stock Forged piston 5.0s, how much of a shot do you run and how many bottles have you ben through?

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Don:
Those of you that run nitrous on stock Forged piston 5.0s, how much of a shot do you run and how many bottles have you ben through?

This guy so sounds like a cop, just cause you might have seen him or what not at a show or something doesnt mean hes not one. Just be on the lookout, more will be coming since this club has grown so big with all the exposure.

--------------------
Support our troops!

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey chill out man you know the risk of racing. If you dont know someone thats at the races then dont race. like i said in the other post if you ask them if the are in anyway connected to the cops they cant say no. Hey O.G. cobra if you are reading this correct me if i am wrong. If you are braking the law and they want to get you they will!!! dont just say someones a cop just cuz you think so if you think so then dont post thing you dont want them to know and dont have anything to do with them. I am not trying to talk shit so dont take this in the wrong way bro. but i see another shit talking post about to start soon.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lets leave the smack talk in the street racing forum and stick to tech here

Don- I've heard (online) of people getting away with a 300 shot for a bit. It depends on a lot of factors. A guy in the NMRA stuck a stock bottem end block in his outlaw (if I remember right) car years ago and actually pulled of a few low 9 and one high 8 second pass out of it before it blew up. Those who visited the old NMRA board (john91coupe) may remember this.

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok at first I could understand why people would think I am a cop for trying to set up some races, but asking a tech question an n20, give me a break. Thanks for the reply st5150, I talked to Gabe at the show and am probably going to buy his kit he has for sale on this list. The only reason I know of this list is because my cousin bought Mikes old 98 yellow convet cobra, but I guess I sould have went through the full cavity search before posting, so I wouldn't be acussed if being a cop.

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure you upgrade your fuel pump befefore spraying more than a 75 shot. www.jdsperformance.com has a great price on the 255lph pump. Get some autlite 23's (for stock heads) and gap them in the low 30's. Retard your timing 2 degrees for every 50HP you spray and you should be set to live a long nitroused life.
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Don:
Ok at first I could understand why people would think I am a cop for trying to set up some races, but asking a tech question an n20, give me a break. Thanks for the reply st5150, I talked to Gabe at the show and am probably going to buy his kit he has for sale on this list. The only reason I know of this list is because my cousin bought Mikes old 98 yellow convet cobra, but I guess I sould have went through the full cavity search before posting, so I wouldn't be acussed if being a cop.

LOL... I know what you mean some people just open there mouth b4 thinking. so what do you have done to the car your gonna put the nos on?

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL... I know what you mean some people just open there mouth b4 thinking. so what do you have done to the car your gonna put the nos on?

The car has only minor boltons, but I have a NX 100 shot on it right now. I bought the NX kit for my turbo Dodge Omni though. That is why I am going to buy Gabes kit, for the 5.0 so I can have my other kit for my Omni. I have been told that these stock forged piston motors can hold up o about 400 horse, but I just wanted to see if anyone had some testimonies. I will be rebuilding a motor I got from Pick'n'pull in a month or so, and putting the Holley system max kit on it, but that is about it for the motor. The car is mostly for looks, plus it is my wifes car, so I don't race it much.

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stick with the NX kit. It will work the best. The pistons will handle the power as long as the tuneup is good. 400hp of nitrous? No way. If you can get your kit to work good at 200 hp, it will be way more then you will need. Anything more then 150-200 and you will need to start camming the motor a little different, along with some other things. Is the kit you have on the car right now a single shark nozzle? Have you run the car with that kit yet? I want to know how much the car picked up, to tell you how close you are on the tuneup.

--------------------
[img]http://www.zimmermanmotorsports.com/zimban2.gif[/img]

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

"forged piston motors can hold up to about 400 horse"

I meant total power, I thought I sould have siad that when I wrote it. I like the NX kit alot, but I didn't buy it for the 5.0, I want it for my race car(Turbo Omni). But I plan to got to the strip on a test and tune night and run motor, 50, 100, 150, 200. I know that the car has ran a best of 14.7 on street tires, so I am courious to see what it will run on slicks with all of the differnt jetings. I would like to take it to a T&T soon but I am having a plasic fuel line from the filter problem(leak). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for that line. By the way I put the Holley 255 pump in already. NX says no timming untill you get past 100 and then 2 deg upto 200. I know that soulds a little odd but that is what they told me.

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for customN2O  Ford pictures for customN2O  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You dont need to take any timing out for only 100 hp. You will pick up over a second and 13 mph with that setting. 200 might be too much. But who knows. You might like it. I am an authorized Nitrous Express dealer, and have used there stuff since they started. If you need any parts or need some advice, drop me a line and just ask. One thing Im not sure of, is you said your kit was originally for a different car. Depending on what that car was, you may have the wrong jetting for your ride now. The difference is in the fuel pressures. If the fuel pressure is the same in both the car you bought the kit for, and the mustang you are putting it on, then you are ok, but if they arent, you could run into problems. Hopefully the fuel pressure is higher in the mustang, which will just make the kit extra fat.
If you are interested in another kit, let me know, cause I will price match any other distributor. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, and I will help however I can.

--------------------

Knight_Rider
¯
Member # 898

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knight_Rider  Ford pictures for Knight_Rider  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
N2O likes engines with low mileage. Higher mileage cars run the risk of getting a bunch of N2O in the crankcase and oil doesn't like N2O that much, that's when you get trouble. Of course too much N2O will create excessive cylinder pressures and will either blow your head gaskets or, in an extreme case, turn your engine into shrapnel.
Knight_Rider
¯
Member # 898

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Knight_Rider  Ford pictures for Knight_Rider  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I would like to take it to a T&T soon but I am having a plasic fuel line from the filter problem(leak). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for that line.

It's probably the o-ring that's messed up. Go to Kragen or somewhere similar and get a new one. If it is the line itself, I'd try the dealer or a wrecking yard.

--------------------
Stroked LS1 Trans Am WS6 coming soon...

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

CustomN20, do you have a # where I can reach you? Also I ordered the jets for the Mustang, so I know they are for the right fuel pressure. My freind will be buying a NX kit soon, so if your selling then I will have him buy it from you.

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

Don, you can call me at 925-998-1517. If I dont answer, leave a message, and I will get back to you as soon as possible. I work in the daytime, so the motorsports business is on the side. give me a call, Ill do my best to help you out.

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have seen nos on my friends cars. One of them is supercharged and has a 75 shot on it and he has sprayed the hell out of it. The other one has a 150 shot on it and it runs great with the stock bottom end. Nos is where you can go fast really cheap
Have fun with it

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Quoting gains in time and MPH without knowing anything about a car and driver is pretty bold! You should probably say you will see up too gains on 1 SEC and 13mph. I think you should stick to nothing more than a 125 shot for your stock block. A lot of people claim a lot of things about there power and most of it is inflated bullshit! I really doubt that somebody has had any success squeezing 400hp into a "STOCK" H.O. block. I quote it because people that have done it with crazy stuff with "stock" parts but, have gone through there motors with a fine tooth comb to achieve what was probably not a long lasting motor. If you want to have fun then be realistic and safe. If you have a lot of money than put a 200 shot on it or 300 and let it fly! Just my . 02

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My stock block, Gregs stock block, my buddy Matts stock block all of these held up to 175 shot.

My car with stock heads, stock intake, stock shortblock but n20 cam and long tube headers stood up to 215 shot for an easy 10 passes.

And a nice long drive to fun ford weekend in Montgomery Alabama.

Car didnt run any different on a 175 shot then it did on a 215 shot , but what do you expect out of stock heads.

It went 12.20 at 114.

If you run a big shot on a stock block then I would make sure you have a good balancer (i did) and a decent fuel supply.

a 125 shot is very safe.

Id say just keep the total hp of your motor under 450 hp with or without nitrous and you should be ok if it is low mileage and well kept.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know much about your car or your buddie Matt's car but, Gregs car was pretty damn light! Load(weight) has a big part in longevity of a motor! I would just hate to see somebody with little knowledge going out and blowing a head gasket or trashing something else just by what other people have done.Make sure you have good fuel pressure and start small, like a 50hp setting and go from there. I would say to read some plugs but I'm sure he has no idea what to look for as with a lot of poeple.

--------------------
I like cars.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess I often lose sight of how much faith people put into what they read on here and what experience they do or dont have.

You are right. My car was 3120.

My buddy matts car was 3080

These are light cars for street cars.

I dont want someone with a stock 5 liter with 140K miles on it spraying a 200 shot.

I just hope that some common sense would come into play here.

Also as far as longevity I wouldnt expect it out of a frequently sprayed (100 shot or more) stock 5 liter.

So take it for what it is worth.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

I agree!

--------------------
I like cars.

Midnight5.0
¯
Member # 597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midnight5.0  Ford pictures for Midnight5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am looking into a kit for my 1990 GT, which is completely stock aside from the small mods below. I am looking to run a 75-100 shot...will this be safe? If so, I am looking into the Edelbrock kit in summit for $350 (50,75,100 adjustable) - is this a wise investment?

--------------------
2013 White Ford Raptor S/C
2012 BMW 335i
2006 Corvette Z06 - sold
1999 White Cobra Vert - Sold

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

I think it is a good deal. Ask Zimmerman what he has to offer though. Maybe he can give a good deal on TNT stuff or NX stuff

--------------------
I like cars.

THE COUG
¯
Member # 743

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE COUG  Ford pictures for THE COUG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like Scott said ( customn2o ) the tune up right is the most improtant part of making a nitruos motor live. Detination is the number one killer of motors or lack of fuel supply. I myself have run cast piston motors with shots from 125 to 175 for many years with no problems but the timing, fuel curve spark plug heat range etc etc was all perfect. Also like scott said 125hp shot is more than most street car suspensions can handle anyway. Without slicks and some suspension mods you would never pute the power to the ground anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I myself with a mild tune up got a second and four tenths out of my car at the track but once again you have to pute the power to the ground!!!
Good luck with your project

--------------------
Racing on fly paper is for pussies

customN2O
¯
Member # 914

quote:

I am looking into a kit for my 1990 GT, which is completely stock aside from the small mods below. I am looking to run a 75-100 shot...will this be safe? If so, I am looking into the Edelbrock kit in summit for $350 (50,75,100 adjustable) - is this a wise investment?
quote:

That much hp would be ok for that car. I personally recomend NX. Not only cause I sell them, but they are the best kit out there. I have used them since they started, and even back when they were the original TOP GUN. I guarantee that with the NX kit, you will make the hp they say, without having to hunt for a safe tuneup. Email me if you would like more info. I will price match any other distributor out there as well.

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com