Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » New best 1/4 in the Mach... (Page 4)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: New best 1/4 in the Mach...
StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
quote:
Originally posted by EPIK:
I think with more practice though, I can get the 60 ft down a bit...

Practice won't get the 60ft down as much as a higher launch will, lol
Luke I had him set them at 13psi cold. Too bad I wasnt in attendance that night, could have tried a few things. Well D can get the 60ft. better with practice on what RPM it likes to be launched at, play with tire PSI, shift points etc. IF he had some skinnies then MAYBE he could squeak out a 1.59..

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Stang:
quote:
quote:
I think with more practice though, I can get the 60 ft down a bit...

Practice won't get the 60ft down as much as a higher launch will, lol
you want him to bust something dont you! hahahah
LOL, not at all. The name of the game (at least the one serious racers play) is to minimize ET and realize the potential of the car, right? Alternately you can always conserve parts, go easy on the car, and leave ET on the table. Many people go the 2nd route and there is nothing at all wrong with that approach as it allows you to have fun while minimizing the probability of grenading parts [Razz]

I'm just throwing out some ideas to minimze the ET that I've learned myself. It's up to Dustin how hard he wants to push things. Of course that pushing is what sometimes leads to broken parts unfortunately.

quote:
Originally posted by 96stang4.6:
lauch at 4200 thats the max torque to get off the line

Oh brother, what does launching at peak torque get you when the car will bog down below the RPM where the peak torque occurs? Remember, torque is a rotational force but without the aspect of "time" included in the equation (to get Horsepower), it is meaningless. Horsepower is king. To get down the track in the least amount of time, you want to maximize the area under the HP curve in the usable RPM range during the pass (integral of the HP curve, NOT the torque curve).

quote:
The front tires were what they always are on the street, 30-35 psi

Dustin, if you go out on your street wheels again, air the fronts up to 40-45psi to minimize rolling resistance.

quote:
Originally posted by Streakmatt:
Luke I had him set them at 13psi cold. Too bad I wasnt in attendance that night, could have tried a few things. Well D can get the 60ft. better with practice on what RPM it likes to be launched at, play with tire PSI, shift points etc. IF he had some skinnies then MAYBE he could squeak out a 1.59..

[patriot]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
WickedStang
¯
Member # 7692

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedStang  Ford pictures for WickedStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn.. sounds like if I want to complete I got my work cut out! lol Gotta slap my 275 DRs or my 27in slicks to keep up wit u Epik.

--------------------
04 mach1 BASSANI EXHAUST/C&L INTAKE
67STANG/CHP 347/BUILT C4/MOROSO DRAG SUSP.

Posts: 1581 | From: salinas831 | Registered: May 2007  |  :
96stang4.6
¯
Member # 9970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96stang4.6  Ford pictures for 96stang4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you use torque to get off the line then you depend on hp

--------------------
93 chp
88 t top mustang gt
87 coupe IRS swapped
12 mustang gt/cs

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

just stop

--------------------
Stangless

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

just stop
LMAO! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
96stang4.6
¯
Member # 9970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96stang4.6  Ford pictures for 96stang4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats this then?
 - other than a 50 with some go

[ June 14, 2010, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: 96stang4.6 ]

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

The amplitude of the torque won't be enough to tell the story. That torque must be applied quickly (which is where HP comes in) to go wheels-up like that.

Rotating HP = (Torque x RPM)/5252

The HP equation gives meaning to the torque because it quantifies the time that it is being applied at (that's were RPM comes in).

Don't be one of the guys that recites old internet cliches about torque getting you off the line and HP getting you down the track [Wink]

Here is a passage taken from google on the topics:

So what really matters: torque or horsepower? People say that "torque gets you going and horsepower keeps you going." This is a misconception based on the behavior of their less-than-ideal transmissions. Most transmissions have a finite number of gears, and that means that you have to work within a power band instead of staying at your favorite rpm. A perfectly designed transmission should be able to provide enough wheel torque to spin the tires from a dead stop with any engine, but not all street transmissions can do this because they slip too much or they have gears that are too tall. Remember the formula? When the car speed is zero, the force can be infinite with any amount of power. Drag racers lauch at 6000 rpm because that's where they're developing power. (Anything higher would basically guarantee that they'd lose traction.) The ideal transmission would always keep the engine at max power. Anyone who leans on torque needs to look more closely at their transmission; it's not doing its job if you need a wide power band. They also need to look at what's going on: They're not really relying on torque. Average horsepower throughout the power band is really what's responsible. The torque still doesn't matter. You typically see cars with lots of torque having wide power bands, and that's the only reason why they'd ever beat a car with more peak horsepower. Average horsepower wins races.

To take it a step further:

Work = Force*Distance

Without Distance, you can have as much torque as you can possibly imagine and be doing no work.

Power = Work / Time = (Force*Distance)/Time

Power quantifies how quickly that force is being applied and over what distance.

Again Power is King.

[ June 15, 2010, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

[ June 15, 2010, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: SPTVENM ]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good shit [patriot]

what mods you have on that thing?

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan...:
good shit [patriot]

what mods you have on that thing?

Thanks...

The only engine mods are

-Mac LT's
-Mac o/r H
-Bassani catback
-Roy's 3/8" intake spacer
-C&L 85mm MAF
-AED tune (309rwhp/323rwtq)

It also has 4.10 gears, & full suspension, but its a super stiff Maximum Motorsports road race inspired suspension which includes a tubular K member, panhard bar, subframes, panhard bar, lower control arms, & coilovers all around. The 325 lb front & 225 lb rear coilover spring rates don't exactly help weight transfer at the track.

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see u have the 85mm Mac did u change the injectors too or you just got it for more adjustability withthe tune?
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by alexdel209:
I see u have the 85mm Mac did u change the injectors too or you just got it for more adjustability withthe tune?

The C&L is calibrated for stock injectors. Honestly, if I could go back, I would just buy a JLT, because the bigger MAF isnt needed on an N/A 32V, but the C&L looks a trillion times better under the hood than the JLT does.

--------------------

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Yea I'm lookin for a cai I have the k and n but want something different with a different inlet tube the k and n uses the stock one I looked at the c and l and jlt so idk which ima get.I'm looking to buy some shocks,cai,subframe connectors and in ready for the track
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by alexdel209:
Yea I'm lookin for a cai I have the k and n but want something different with a different inlet tube the k and n uses the stock one I looked at the c and l and jlt so idk which ima get.I'm looking to buy some shocks,cai,subframe connectors and in ready for the track

If you buy the C&L, make sure you get a tune for it, because although they say you don't need it, the car will actually be leaned out quite a bit with the bigger maf.

--------------------

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ok I'll let u know and thanks for the info
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
whats this then?
 - other than a 50 with some go

What is this? Someone who can't set up a suspension correctly. That's what.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com