Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » New best 1/4 in the Mach... (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: New best 1/4 in the Mach...
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
13psi hot or cold?

And when is the next track outting?

I typically hate this time of year for racing since cool air is few and far between.

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IDK. I just set them at 13 psi when I got to the track which is what Matt recommended. I might be heading back out there either next wednesday, or the week after.

[ June 11, 2010, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the thing is hooking, I'd raise the pressure by 1psi increments to minimize rolling resistance.

Also, often times (unless you are running tubes), the pressure will drop between 1-2psi from the time you show up to the time you are leaving...

Learned this the hard way once, lol. Things got very unstable at the big end by the end of the day.

it's nice to have a small compressor available for fine tuning tire pressure.

--------------------
Stangless

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
If the thing is hooking, I'd raise the pressure by 1psi increments to minimize rolling resistance.

Also, often times (unless you are running tubes), the pressure will drop between 1-2psi from the time you show up to the time you are leaving...

Learned this the hard way once, lol. Things got very unstable at the big end by the end of the day.

it's nice to have a small compressor available for fine tuning tire pressure.

Not sure if the tires have tubes or not? It was pretty unstable on the top end though.

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

I recall once I put 12psi in when the tires where hot during the afternoon.

When the tires cooled down and the sun went down, I was measuring about 10psi. I had no compressor and went for it anyway, lol.

MPH was a bit down, but it was flat out SCARY at the big end... Rear was all over the place. Tubes are the way to go imho.

--------------------
Stangless

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
epik your car is launching great!

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah in that video you were gone lol do you still have stock axles?
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Thanks Moses!!!

Alex, I still have stock axles.

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Oh Shit! I just saw the "I got heavy balls" launch vid!

Dustin, that's a helluva launch! What RPM did you leave at there?

--------------------
Stangless

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:

LOL... I pulled up to the line & thought "what would Luke do in this situation" LOL

I left at close to 6k on that launch.

[ June 12, 2010, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
Originally posted by EPIK:
quote:

LOL... I pulled up to the line & thought "what would Luke do in this situation" LOL

NICE! I could not be more proud!

Next time use the "knock sensors off" tune and leave at 7K for some 12.2s @ 110! [patriot] [Big Grin]

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
quote:
quote:

Next time use the "knock sensors off" tune and leave at 7K for some 12.2s @ 110! [patriot] [Big Grin]

Knock sensors will be off for sure next time out, but I will not launch any higher than 6k on the lil ol 28 splines LOL...

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Knock sensors will be off for sure next time out, but I will not launch any higher than 6k on the lil ol 28 splines LOL...
 -

--------------------
Stangless

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-
LOL.... 7k, u sure??? Sounds scary

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

lol, I am just playin man.

You'll have to feel it out. Launching is one of those things that's addicting and like crack, you need more to get the same high after a while.

I'm sure that once the ET starts to drop, you will quickly realize that the difference in ET between a 1.69 60ft and a 1.59 60ft is ~0.2

Then it will be up to you whether you want to push it or not. If an axle goes, it will be a perfect opportunity to upgrade [Big Grin]

But ya, 7K launch will be violent (The high RPM DOHC cars provide a big momentum transfer)! I'd be a bit apprehensive to do it without a loop and a scattershield. F the axles, lol. I am more concerned about my Air Jordan's on my feet lol

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
lol, I am just playin man.

You'll have to feel it out. Launching is one of those things that's addicting and like crack, you need more to get the same high after a while.

I'm sure that once the ET starts to drop, you will quickly realize that the difference in ET between a 1.69 60ft and a 1.59 60ft is ~0.2

Then it will be up to you whether you want to push it or not. If an axle goes, it will be a perfect opportunity to upgrade [Big Grin]

But ya, 7K launch will be violent (The high RPM DOHC cars provide a big momentum transfer)! I'd be a bit apprehensive to do it without a loop and a scattershield. F the axles, lol. I am more concerned about my Air Jordan's on my feet lol

I am already addicted LOL... 6k was already pretty violent, but DAMN it was fun LOL...

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

For sure.

Both of your cars are capable of high 1.5X

The fox is lighter and has more low end torque so it won't feel as violent as the heavier car with less low end torque but more HP.

I say let both go off the limiter and see what happens [Big Grin]

Also, there is an old trick that the Bob Cosby's used to preach regarding "accelerating the flywheel" to give yourself that extra energy transfer compared to just holding it at a certain RPM and popping the clutch. Basically, you pop the clutch as the engine is accelerating towards the limiter, right when it hits your desired launch RPM, you let the clutch go...

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That shh hoookkdd, dam epik!!

You have 4:10s?

I cant wait to ditch these 3:55s

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
For sure.

Both of your cars are capable of high 1.5X

The fox is lighter and has more low end torque so it won't feel as violent as the heavier car with less low end torque but more HP.

I say let both go off the limiter and see what happens [Big Grin]

Also, there is an old trick that the Bob Cosby's used to preach regarding "accelerating the flywheel" to give yourself that extra energy transfer compared to just holding it at a certain RPM and popping the clutch. Basically, you pop the clutch as the engine is accelerating towards the limiter, right when it hits your desired launch RPM, you let the clutch go...

I would be ecstatic if I pulled a 1.5X 60 in either of my non drag suspended cars LOL. My balls aren't heavy enough to go off the limiter yet LOL.

I think with more practice though, I can get the 60 ft down a bit...

quote:
Originally posted by threethirty1:
That shh hoookkdd, dam epik!!

You have 4:10s?

I cant wait to ditch these 3:55s

Thanks...

Yup, I have 4.10's in the Mach...

[ June 12, 2010, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:

Practice won't get the 60ft down as much as a higher launch will, lol
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Practice won't get the 60ft down as much as a higher launch will, lol
you want him to bust something dont you! hahahah

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

96stang4.6
¯
Member # 9970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96stang4.6  Ford pictures for 96stang4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what was you psi in the fronts? lauch at 4200 thats the max torque to get off the line

[ June 12, 2010, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: 96stang4.6 ]

--------------------
93 chp
88 t top mustang gt
87 coupe IRS swapped
12 mustang gt/cs

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^^^^^
come on guy.........

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by 96stang4.6:
what was you psi in the fronts? lauch at 4200 thats the max torque to get off the line

My car would bog hard on a 4200 launch???

The front tires were what they always are on the street, 30-35 psi.

--------------------

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 96stang4.6:

My car would bog hard on a 4200 launch???

The front tires were what they always are on the street, 30-35 psi.

Let me know the next time you go back. im gonna try to launch at 5500 and see what happens lol!

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com