Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Video of my Mach at sears point yesterday (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Video of my Mach at sears point yesterday
Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinner  Ford pictures for Tinner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Josh, I can assure you you'd be very surprised at how well the M/T drag radials hook! That way you don't have to worry about swapping tires at the track etc.

With the power this car has any 17" tire will take skills I don't have to launch at the track. I'm looking more to dropping the clutch @ 5000rpm , lifting the fronts and running 1.5 60's. For the street I will run a M/T or Hoosier DR's on a 10.5" wheel. I really don't mind changing tires at the track , it only takes 15mins and I wont have to worry about riding the clutch to get out of the hole.

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph
now with a little more power it goes 135mph+ on 18" DRs

Posts: 835 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What tires were you running on Wednesday? I was out there in my LX. I was trying to run on my 245x50-16 Nittos, which are so hard to launch with lots of power. I was getting mid 1.8 60's and managed to make it to the 4th round. I hit the brakes every run and they all would have been under 11.50 if I didn't lift. I don't have a cage either. My first time trial was 11.53 @ 125.3mph. Then I spun like crazy in 1st and 2nd and went 11.92 @ 125mph (pitiful!) After that, the tires started to hook a little better and I just launched it really softly. My best pass was in the 4th round. I went 11.51 @ 108mph. That probably would have been in the 11.3's if I didn't lift. I had a .023 reaction to Mitchel
's .040, but he ran 11.635 on an 11.64 dial so I didn't have much room to play with. I hit the brakes and kept him at my rear bumper, but I was dialed 11.55 so I broke out by more than him. It was close!

Are you going to be back out there this week? I am curious to see if they let you run in the street class. I had to fight with them to drop the street class time limit to 11.50 from 12.00. They may make you run in Comp Rod.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Josh, I can assure you you'd be very surprised at how well the M/T drag radials hook! That way you don't have to worry about swapping tires at the track etc.

mt drags hook on wet grass.. 1.44 60ft on a 235/60/15 mt dr.. the car has went 11.001 @123 on that same dr.. [patriot]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinner  Ford pictures for Tinner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:
What tires were you running on Wednesday? I was out there in my LX. I was trying to run on my 245x50-16 Nittos, which are so hard to launch with lots of power. I was getting mid 1.8 60's and managed to make it to the 4th round. I hit the brakes every run and they all would have been under 11.50 if I didn't lift. I don't have a cage either. My first time trial was 11.53 @ 125.3mph. Then I spun like crazy in 1st and 2nd and went 11.92 @ 125mph (pitiful!) After that, the tires started to hook a little better and I just launched it really softly. My best pass was in the 4th round. I went 11.51 @ 108mph. That probably would have been in the 11.3's if I didn't lift. I had a .023 reaction to Mitchel
's .040, but he ran 11.635 on an 11.64 dial so I didn't have much room to play with. I hit the brakes and kept him at my rear bumper, but I was dialed 11.55 so I broke out by more than him. It was close!

Are you going to be back out there this week? I am curious to see if they let you run in the street class. I had to fight with them to drop the street class time limit to 11.50 from 12.00. They may make you run in Comp Rod.

I was on worn out BFG DR's , my best 60' was a 1.81 on the run I got on the brakes. They told me from now on to run in comp rod which it ok w/ me , it'll be fun to see a stock looking Mach run next to them.

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph

Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
quote:

mt drags hook on wet grass.. 1.44 60ft on a 235/60/15 mt dr.. the car has went 11.001 @123 on that same dr.. [patriot]
The key to your 60's are the amount of side wall on a 15" DR , unless of have yellow GT it will be very had to repeat that w/ a 17" DR.

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Razz]

lol

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tinner:
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
quote:

The key to your 60's are the amount of side wall on a 15" DR , unless of have yellow GT it will be very had to repeat that w/ a 17" DR.
lol by your own words obviously it isn't the key [Eek!] because he did it on a 18 with less side wall

[ March 24, 2008, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Josh, I ran the 17" MT DR and had a best 1.66 60ft. Those tires are some sweet tires. You should get some and try them out and you wouldn't have to switch tires out.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX':
Josh, I ran the 17" MT DR and had a best 1.66 60ft. Those tires are some sweet tires. You should get some and try them out and you wouldn't have to switch tires out.

Your car wasn't making 580 RWTQ at 4000 RPM's either. It will be a cold day in hell for anything short of a full slick to actually "hook". Even with a full slick the suspension will have to be built and dialed in very well to get the kind of traction he wants.

Of all the setups you could run with, a high horsepower PDB application is one of the hardest to get to plant the tires without spinning them.

[burnout]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
28 x 10 x 15 Hoosier slicks are your best bet.
LOTS of sidewall to absorb the shock of all that TQ....& plenty of 'bite' to keep it hookin'......as long as the suspenssion can handle it.

Been running the MT DR's (275/50/16) on the wife's all-motor car as a street tire. Tried them at the dragstrip a few times. The difference was 2 tenths off the 60ft with full slicks vs the DR's. & that was with the 'Drew Mod'. Tires spin 2nd gear from a roll on the street no problem. Throw on the slicks & look out! It dead-hooks 2nd. Night & day difference from DR's to real slicks.

The TT is the same way. Won't hook on the 275/50/17 (28" tall DR's) M&H's in 2nd gear at any speed (even 80+mph). 2nd gear with a TH400 & 2.73 gears whines the motor to 6K RPM at 100MPH. 3rd hooks just fine. Throw the Hoosiers on there & the car hooks 2nd around 40-50mph.
M&H DR's are softer & hook better than MT's from my experience.....but still NOTHING compared to full slicks.

The M&H's do 1.7's in the TT consistantly. The smaller Hoosiers (26 x 10 x 15) are consistantly in the low 1.6's. Not as drastic of a difference as the same slicks to MT's, but still translates to 2-3 tenths in the 1/4.....AND a few extra MPH on the top end as they allow a harder launch & full throttle sooner.

A couple TNT's on the DR's & they really start to show some wear. 2 or 3 TNT's & the MT's were down to the wear bars due to the excessive burnouts needed to get these things to hook. The Hoosier slicks we run have well over 100 passes & have over 50% tread depth left.

If you want to run a DR at the strip.....the suspenssion will be setup a little different than with a full slick. Clutch needs to be dialed in (Tinner has the correct clutch setup) & launch technic is much different....& much harder on the clutch.

Don't get me wrong, those that run 1.4x 60fts on DR's are just plain BAD ASS...but they are not common. & given the choice between DR's & slicks at the dragstrip.....there's no question what I'd choose.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com