Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » UTI Challenge (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: UTI Challenge
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone going to the UTI Challenge tomorrow morning at Sac raceway?
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ill be there.... and ill be rooting for the sac uti car i helped build..!
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
1320MASTER
¯
Member # 773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1320MASTER  Ford pictures for 1320MASTER  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My son go's there He told me today two of the cars made over 600 rwhp today on the dyno.

[ October 05, 2007, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: 1320MASTER ]

--------------------
EA Smog Tech/Smog Lic/ASE Master Tech
93 SSP Coupe 440ci sbf coming soon

Posts: 593 | From: Sacramento Calif | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yah, our car made 600rwhp and the orlando car made 633rwhp.. it should be a fun competition..

our car has alot more in it. we had small jets and we revved the motor to almost 8 grand... it was sweet!!

[ October 05, 2007, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: 93ReefBlue5.0 ]

1320MASTER
¯
Member # 773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1320MASTER  Ford pictures for 1320MASTER  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some pics of the Q Challenge Cars

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on going. Should be interesting.
1320MASTER
¯
Member # 773

I want to go but I have to work.So I can go to Vegas tuesday night for five days.

--------------------

93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

just some info for everybody.. its free to attend and gates are open at 8:30..
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Well, I went to this event, and left because it was so unorganized, and time consuming. I wasn't real impressed with any of the cars besides the orange 95 from Rancho.The Sac car looked pretty good too, but I never saw under the hood.

Drag racing was supposed to start around 1PM, and at that time they had just begun the handeling event, and judging by the time it took them to do the braking, I doubt that the will even get started racing until around 4 or 5 PM.

With $10,000 to spend at summit, and an engine provided for you, I would have thought there would have been a few bad ass cars. Two of them had stock fox brakes on them.... REAR DRUMS! One had a leaking head gasket before the event even started.

What a joke!

I am interested to hear who won, and what kind of times they were running?

1320MASTER
¯
Member # 773

The green car only ran 11.43 and blow up big time that was the quickest of the bunch.

--------------------

93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

this is coming from a current UTI Sacramento student..

i do agree about the event being disorganized.. i dont know who was behind the planning either..
i know that 2 of the cars DID have rear drums and that was because they chose to invest the $$ in the motors... i talked to both teams and thats what was said..
the headgaskets were the wrong ones on the lime green car, they were matched to the head and not to the block.. thats what they said...
either way the blue car and the lime one had water in the crankcase and had to change the oil between every event..
the yellow one had a nitrous backfire during the drag competition and caught the air filter on fire.. its drag runs were poor... the car was hurt...
the green hatch has had problems since they got here yesterday.. no fuel pressure yesterday and today the car was starting to burn oil while doing the slalom test... then during the drag part, had a nitrous backfire which damn near sent the hood off the car but didn't...
the eventual winner was the Sacramento campus!! the car ran well all day and the hood was never popped... it only ran an 11.81 best time...
i will say the driver for all the cars which was Evan Smith of MM&FF fame IMO needs to stop bein a pussy and drive those cars... i felt he could have done alot better...

93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

if anybody cares, the sacramento car on thurday night put up 685rwhp and 790rwtq on our dyno with spray... it didn't have mufflers at the time. just open headers... then yesterday when we dynoed for competition the other schools complained because we were running open headers... the rules never said you had to run mufflers... we put them on redynoed and hit 585rwhp on spray! i forget the tq numbers though.. they were both low because of the added backpressure..

[ October 07, 2007, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: 93ReefBlue5.0 ]

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Wow... 100HP loss by adding a set of mufflers?

I wasn't there... but I know that Evan Smith can drive a stick car... quite well!

He has been behind the wheel of some very impressive cars over the years, not to mention his own. Being a car he has never driven, and hasn't really had all the bugs sorted out plays a huge role in the performance. I bet if any of the build team were to have gotten behind the wheel today, following Evan, you would be quite suprised at the difference.

What happens to the cars now?

93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

well as for the cars... not too sure just yet.. our car may end up in our main lobby.. i guess to be displayed as a show piece...

i just want to clear up what i meant about the Evans driving... i know he can drive... and drive the shit out of most anything.. he was being real easy on the cars today... we built them to be hammered on.. i just wanted to see what they really could do! thats all....

[ October 07, 2007, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: 93ReefBlue5.0 ]

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The results do not surprise me. It would be a insult to Master Techs every were if a bunch of apprentice level techs could achieve great results. Sorry JMO Keep up the good learning there is no substitute for experience. Those hp numbers should have been good enough to run some better ET's you would think.

I posted this not trying to be a ass. It is just being a Master Tech you know people comming out of trade schools and JC's are still entry level techs and machinist with a excellent base for success

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like what those cars needed was nothing more than the 'Drew mod' [Big Grin]
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Drew mod should be outlawed LOL unfair advange(maybe his women will fatten him up for us) [Big Grin]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
The results do not surprise me. It would be a insult to Master Techs every were if a bunch of apprentice level techs could achieve great results. Sorry JMO Keep up the good learning there is no substitute for experience. Those hp numbers should have been good enough to run some better ET's you would think.

I posted this not trying to be a ass. It is just being a Master Tech you know people comming out of trade schools and JC's are still entry level techs and machinist with a excellent base for success

Are you suggesting the results were struded to keep the automotive community happy...and Master Techs thinking they are top-dog? Are you kidding?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in the past year ive assembled over 50 motors, from stock to a 730whp bb mopar confirmed by me on my shops dyno. i would have been embarassed if my car were any of the ones with problems. i dont know the whole story behind the event, time limits, other limits, etc, but to say that they suck because theyre students is rediculous. ps, ive got no formal engine training, just common sense and 2 great mentors
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:

Are you suggesting the results were struded to keep the automotive community happy...and Master Techs thinking they are top-dog? Are you kidding?
WOW did you miss the point buy a mile LOL are you kidding me?

BTW master engine builders are top dog(Keith Craft, Kuntz,John Kase)Master Techs are better mechs then weekend warriors.

Would I have a novice machinist machine my dart block or a Master machinist ? think about it.

The results are what they were. I am saying if the project was done buy 20 year master techs they would have turned out much better. Do you disagree?

[ October 08, 2007, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a 20+ yr experienced Master-whatever did a project, it had BETTER be the shit. That's obvious. [Roll Eyes]
To state it would be an "insult" to the older crowd is rediculous. I think the only "insult" that occurred was their instructors allowing them to go out in public with the cars that they had...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

not a insult to the older crowd [Roll Eyes] , to the professional crowd. LOL boy you just completely miss read the whole thing....I guess you would have to be a journeyman machinist or Tech to understand were I was comming from sorry you didn't get it. You are right about there instructors paying a little more attention to the project for QC.

I hope they learned alot on this project it would be fun to do.

[ October 08, 2007, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

No, I didn't miss anything. ASE as well as a A&P mechanic here, so save your long-winded "I'm experienced" posts for someone else. I hear this same sort of bullshit from old-ass "professionals" everyday...and I'm still their boss. [Big Grin]
All I saw from your posts was an old'timer who feels it would be a insult to "PROFESSIONALS" everwhere if newbs came out and ran the number. It didn't happen nor did they show anyone up. They're kids, they are new, so lighten up, take a chill pill, or wtf-ever you do, but your shit-ass attitude on this board is old. REALLY old.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

LOL who died and left you sherrif. Do you have a reading problem or you just can not understand English? At my work all the idiots who don't know shit go into management. So do not flater your self with the Boss bull shit. I guess I am the only one here not inpressed with the John B bullshit so go run your blown stroker windsor in the mid tens and STFU

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a bunch of master-tech ase scumbags that couldnt put together a 9 second car with a 20k budget, some of the biggest hacks i know are old time auto mechanics, big blocks rock, small blocks can't make power offy still makes the baddest intake on the market, and "nos" will always blow your motor up, and turbos definitely don't work

with that being said some of the best/most knowledgable people in this industry are old seasoned mechanics

I think that johnb guy is one of those scumbags [Razz]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Page: 1  2   
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com