Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » An update on the 87 LX (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: An update on the 87 LX
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
Good to see more guys killing themselves to get the most out of a "stock" stang instead of throwing all kinds of high dollar parts at their car to make up for a lack of driving skill. Put that thing on the limiter, and leave your foot on the floor... I sure hope you guys are running a drive shaft loop... and axles would be a must!!!

Luke87GT has really done his homework to get where he is with his car. I would recommend using what he has learned, and keep thrashing at it until a 12 shows up. In addition to Luke87GT's list of mods... I would recommend trying the following parts:

Long Tube Headers
X Pipe
Running 4 Quarts of Engine Oil
Aluminum Driveshaft
4 Cyl. Front Springs (cut to desired rake)
Rear Drag Springs w/Passenger Side Air Bag
MSD 6AL

If you run slicks... DON'T run tubes. This cuts down on rotating mass.

A couple additional things that work well for consistency for launch are an MSD 2 step rev limiter, and a line lock. With the 2 step, you can set a launch RPM, and an engine RPM limit with interchangable pills. Tie the launch RPM side in with the line lock. When the line lock button is depressed, the 2 step will only allow that set RPM to be reached. Once released, it goes to the higher RPM. With our car, we launch at 6500, and set the high side to 6900 or 7000. A shift light is another helpful component. These parts won't make any more power... but will help the driver become more consistent, by not having to worry about controling RPM with his foot, and lets you concentrate on the tree.

Most of these parts are cheap , and always on this board for sale. I have a few of these items off my Stocker that I am looking to get rid of. Let me know if you guys are interested.

I look forward to seeing you guys at the track next season. My NHRA Stocker 88 Stang is almost back together... Shooting for the record at 11.55 @ 115.

Best of luck to you guys!!!

Nice post for you guys trying to get the most outta your race cars [worship]

Sounds like he knows a thing or two about consistant drag racin [burnout]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know but that LX hauls ass. Congrats and keep cutting them E.T's TTT [patriot]

--------------------
*Municipio Yanga Veracruz

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car doesn't need a rev limiter dump. It just needs a good 1.7 60 ft. and some good shifting the rest of the way and it will be there as it sits. With Cooler air now it will be getting easier. Another thing we havn't even tryed to cool the intake down with Ice yet. Something as simple as that can produce great numbers. I know on my car when I ice down my intake I jump from 114MPH to 116MPH. Not saying this car will gain 2 mph off of a colder air charge but it sure isn't gona hurt.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX':
The car doesn't need a rev limiter dump. It just needs a good 1.7 60 ft. and some good shifting the rest of the way and it will be there as it sits. With Cooler air now it will be getting easier. Another thing we havn't even tryed to cool the intake down with Ice yet. Something as simple as that can produce great numbers. I know on my car when I ice down my intake I jump from 114MPH to 116MPH. Not saying this car will gain 2 mph off of a colder air charge but it sure isn't gona hurt.

I bet he meant to run the number on a more consistant basis rather than a 1-2 time deal.

But kudos to you guys as i'm sure it's just a matter of time as we all know both you and Drew can drive and i'm sure Jackpine will be soon up to par [worship] [patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
quote:

I bet he meant to run the number on a more consistant basis rather than a 1-2 time deal.

But kudos to you guys as i'm sure it's just a matter of time as we all know both you and Drew can drive and i'm sure Jackpine will be soon up to par [worship] [patriot]

I can't drive all I know how to do is get good 60's! hahaha But as for Cory(Jackpine5.0) He has only been racing for a short short while now. He just needs more seat time and He will learn his car in NO time at all! And YES this car is a Freak!!

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Jackpine 5.0
¯
Member # 6349

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackpine 5.0  Ford pictures for Jackpine 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's nice to hear all the positive reinforcement about my car. Also to let everyone know, I think i have only made 30 passes or so down the track - like I said before, all I need is more track time. If I can get a good 60 foot I will definately be on my way. I was cutting 1.8's before the smoked clutch and with the new one we'll have to see what happens. Also, I blew 5th gear in my tranny and picked up a donner tranny out of an x-chp car. It just doesn't feel right and I think I'm going to rebuild mine. I'm not sure how long it will be before I get back out to the track, but hopefully it will be soon and with improved times. Thanks everybody for the encouragement. It just shows how good of an investment the mustang was. By the way - DREW, thanks for selling the freak to me! [Big Grin]
Posts: 55 | From: Shingle Springs, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the way the car is running now... 12.9's are there with nothing more than a harder launch, and a good driver.

Running drag radials as opposed to a small slick may be a bit harder to get a low 1.7 (or better)short time though. Although... I have never ran a car with DR's...

Don't stop at 12.9's though...with less than a few hundred dollars in used parts there is no reason "this particular car" can't pull a 12.7...easily!!!

[ September 21, 2006, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Jackpine 5.0
¯
Member # 6349

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackpine 5.0  Ford pictures for Jackpine 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All I know is that Frank is cutting 1.6's on DR's, I guess I could use a lesson from him.

--------------------
Jackpine Crew
94 Toyota - Straight Axled on 37's
87 LX - goin' for 12's on stock motor (airbox to oil pan)

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

quote:
Originally posted by Jackpine 5.0:
All I know is that Frank is cutting 1.6's on DR's, I guess I could use a lesson from him.

It's all in the Booty, just got to feel it out! I have alot of booty so I can a lot!!!

So far to date myBest 60ft. on the DR's is a 1.63 at Mustang Madness. These are the 17" Mickey T's on some Budniks. As for suspension in the Front I have Strange adjustable struts with Coil over. In rear Stock springs cut, Stock uppers and Hotchkiks(sp) lowers.

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jackpine 5.0:

It's all in the Booty, just got to feel it out! I have alot of booty so I can a lot!!!

So far to date myBest 60ft. on the DR's is a 1.63 at Mustang Madness. These are the 17" Mickey T's on some Budniks. As for suspension in the Front I have Strange adjustable struts with Coil over. In rear Stock springs cut, Stock uppers and Hotchkiks(sp) lowers.

[worship] Cut stock springs.

Damn Frank, you just told everyone why my car has always 60'd so good! [Razz]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Opps sorry I have like the Springs from that company with the bag in the spring that helps prevent twisting and moves this and that. to get you good launches! [Wink]

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
very cool guys!

I am anxious to hear the future progress.

Do you guys know how much the car weighs going down the track?

From what I remember, my car would never 60ft better than 1.80 with anything under a 5K launch.
My best rev limiter dump was a 1.69

Then again, that was with a Bullitt suspension. My limiting factor wasn't wheel spin, but rather not enough power. .

Unfortunately, I never got to weigh mine.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

It was either 3050 or 3150. I can't remember Cory could tell you and then Cory and drew weight about 160lb's soaking wet.

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cory's car weights 3250 going down the track with him or I in it. [burnout]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Speedkills93
Member # 6755

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Speedkills93  Ford pictures for Speedkills93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
frank thanks for one of drews secrets!!
Posts: 5 | From: Cameron Park | Registered: May 2006  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

quote:
Originally posted by Speedkills93:
frank thanks for one of drews secrets!!

I don't know what your talking about [Confused]

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ September 23, 2006, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You may be able to dip into the 12's with a 5K range launch... but with this car, being a low HP ride... I don't see it happening to easily. As mentioned before... Currently the short times are in the 1.9 range. Frank has hit 1.6's with his car... but he has the power to pull that off. Although... this car has shown a high trap speed for a " stock" motored car... the launch playes a HUGE roll. I would strongly recommend axles, and a loop... but wouldn't be affraid of launching the car as if it were a rental. Low 12.9's are there in "this" car without a doubt!!!

I look forward to hearing the results on the next outing... Best of luck to you guys!!!

[ September 26, 2006, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Speedkills93
Member # 6755

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Speedkills93  Ford pictures for Speedkills93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why drew gets good 60fts.
Posts: 5 | From: Cameron Park | Registered: May 2006  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

quote:
Originally posted by Speedkills93:
why drew gets good 60fts.

Yeah I don't know what your talking about. I didn't say anything...... [Big Grin] [Confused] [Wink]

--------------------

SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Jackpine 5.0
¯
Member # 6349

I forgot to mention in the original post that I do have axles. When I got the 4.10's I had 31 splines installed. I also know that I can get a better 60 foot than a 1.9. My first time at the track with the DR's and 4.10's I cut a 1.8. After that it was all downhill with the clutch. I'm trying to get into the 12's without having to launch off the rev limiter. I'm pretty sure the car has it in it, but only time and more runs will tell.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com