Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Alright, let's get this going early! Roll call for Sears Point March 1st (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Alright, let's get this going early! Roll call for Sears Point March 1st
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll be there. Less than 24 hours later I'll be in Vegas [Wink]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hopefully i will have found prostars by then along with tires (et streets) from Manny(cvtires.com)
i really hope to get a freaking 12 n/a before my trip to Peru.

--------------------
=(

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the tires you have now are perfectly sufficient. You won't get less than a 1.7 you got now with what you have.

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so 1.7s is as good as i'll get? why lack of power or driving ability [Big Grin] ?
ha. my tires are pretty much gone after the long as burn outs i was doing on monday.
I want etstreets that way i won't have to be carrying tires, jack, chains etc every wednesday this season. [patriot]

--------------------
=(

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

gotcha [Cool]

--------------------

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
hopefully i will have found prostars by then along with tires (et streets) from Manny(cvtires.com)
i really hope to get a freaking 12 n/a before my trip to Peru.

Jersey get the tires i have u know u like them [Big Grin] that sucks that i couldn't get good 60th with them but that's just me getting used to them. [Frown] and i all i could say is that manny is the man best price i found [patriot]

oh btw i should be at the track that day [Big Grin]

[ February 22, 2006, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: losbadgts ]

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope to be there, but I will be on my bike.

Jersey, you were running on ET Streets. So, do you mean that you want ET Street Drag radials? I know Vince will fight me on this, but I don't think that you will get as good of a 60 ft with the drag radials. However, the car will go much straighter down the track and be more stable. You won't have to worry about lifting if you wiggle the steering wheel a little when you shift. The ride sown the track is much more interesting on the bias ply tires with only 13psi.

Craig

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

quote:
Originally posted by need-a-cage:

Jersey, you were running on ET Streets. So, do you mean that you want ET Street Drag radials? I know Vince will fight me on this, but I don't think that you will get as good of a 60 ft with the drag radials. However, the car will go much straighter down the track and be more stable. You won't have to worry about lifting if you wiggle the steering wheel a little when you shift. The ride sown the track is much more interesting on the bias ply tires with only 13psi.

Craig

Hello Craig,
i meant et street drag radials. you don't think they'll grip as much? i'm just trying to avoid having to whole swaping tires deal. i can't fit two tires in my little trunk and my rear seat delete cannot take the weight of a second tire.
What tires were you running on your 5.0?
thanks.

--------------------
=(

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Jersey, I see what you're trying to accomplish, just understand that driving them on the street will KILL your tread life. Generally drag radials are a much harder compound so they last a couple thousand miles, but these won't last long. If you make this car STRICTLY a track car, they may last the season, only being driven to and from the track.

BTW, you DO NOT want to do real long burnouts. As soon as you see some smoke, your tires are good and ready.

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

i see.. i guess.. i'll still have my normal street tires to cruise around town, go to cruises, or in case i go around town, which is rarely the case... but will mount the et drag radials at home. and won't have to worry about transporting them to the track.
so, what's the bottom line which ones will give me better traction?

--------------------
=(

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i see.. i guess.. i'll still have my normal street tires to cruise around town, go to cruises, or in case i go around town, which is rarely the case... but will mount the et drag radials at home. and won't have to worry about transporting them to the track.

mt street radials are the best drag radials on the market. et streets hook better than the radials but not by much. The radials will be much easier to pilot down the track. The et streets will be easier to launch. The radials are suprisingly good in wet weather. The et streets suck in wet weather. The radials last slightly longer than the et streets and the radials are MUCH more street friendly. How much power you putting down? Craig had a lot of points I agree with. What tires are you trying to compare?

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
quote:

mt street radials are the best drag radials on the market. et streets hook better than the radials but not by much. The radials will be much easier to pilot down the track. The et streets will be easier to launch. The radials are suprisingly good in wet weather. The et streets suck in wet weather. The radials last slightly longer than the et streets and the radials are MUCH more street friendly. How much power you putting down? Craig had a lot of points I agree with. What tires are you trying to compare?
i'm comparing et streets 26x10.5 and et drag radials. like i mention before wet roads are not an issue. i don't drive the car at all on the street. just to the track and back to my garage.
i don't have that much power.. little under 300rw and about 340rw with nx.

--------------------
=(

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
quote:

i'm comparing et streets 26x10.5 and et drag radials. like i mention before wet roads are not an issue. i don't drive the car at all on the street. just to the track and back to my garage.
i don't have that much power.. little under 300rw and about 340rw with nx.

yeah I was comparing those 2 tires in my previous post. My opinion for you is to go with the radials. You don't want to mix bias plys and radials its best to keep the same type of tire all the way around. Mixing them causes really bad sway up top and under hard acceleration. Also, the bias plys will actually give you less mph! And they will not hook any harder than the radials at your power level. The radials are really awesome tires and can take much more power than you're putting out.

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have probably ran Bias rear slics or ET streets or Hoosier QTP down the tracK 1000 plus times(easy) and never had a issue with sway because of missmatched tires. The only sway issue comes from thin sidewalls and low air pressure.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The sway comes from the steering wheel being moved a little during a hard shift. With big sidewalls and very low air pressure, the car will start to dance quite a bit if you move the steering wheel at all during your shift. A friend of mine kept complaining about his car getting out of shape when he hit 4th. He was running a high 12 in a Chevelle and didn't have power to spin at the far end. I told him to stop jerking the wheel during his shift and he started going straight.

I was running MT ET Street Bias ply 26X10.50-16's on my car. With low pressure, they actually hooked too hard with no blower and 3.55's. Go for the MT Drag Radials. I am considering switching myself, but I know that I will not be as consistent. This is only if it allows me to run over 120mph and stay just above 11.50. It all depends on how much power I get when I can finally get my motor. I am also tired of changing tires at the track. My street tires are Nitto drag radials and they are only marginally better than my old "real" street tires.

You can get just as good of a 60ft on the drag radials, but you have to launch the car a little different. You need to slip the clutch slightly. If you try to shock the hell out of the tires, they will not bite. Launching like this makes it difficult to be consistent and get good reaction times. It will just take a lot of practice. I like to just hold the rpm's at 3000-3500 and just drop the clutch as fast as I can. The big sidewalls of the bias plys absorb it and the car takes off. You may be able to do this at your power level with the radials. Get the tires and let us know! You will also pick up some mph with the radials. Ask Vince how long his lasted. He drove them to the track every week and did big burnouts.

Craig

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

The sway is an air pressure/side wall effect. Radials have stiffer side walls so you will get less sway. Radials also don't like to be aired down like bias plys. For any tire, the larger the sidewall and the lower the air pressure the more sway you will get. But radials have a stiffer side wall so you'll get less sway than bias plys. Sway or no sway, I still think you should go with the radials they are more than adequate for you at your power level.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

HA, the one that started this thread will be busy that day, go figure [Frown]

Sorry Jersey, we'll still get you dynoed though [patriot]

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

[Frown]

--------------------
=(

Migs
¯
Member # 5439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Migs  Ford pictures for Migs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Craig

What type of bike do you have? Mods?

--------------------
R.I.P SilverLX! You are missed bro.

Posts: 348 | From: Healdsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinner  Ford pictures for Tinner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll be there in the mach [burnout]

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph
now with a little more power it goes 135mph+ on 18" DRs

Posts: 835 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Mach1Pony
¯
Member # 5435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach1Pony  Ford pictures for Mach1Pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stateokunfusion:
quote:

Craig

What type of bike do you have? Mods?
Craig has a Kawasaki Zephyr 750 (90's vintage). He has a Vance & Hines 4-into-1 Megaphone pipe and jetted carbs. He also modified his air box and removed all the smog BS. He's dipped into the 11's on a good day @ 106 mph.

As for the tire discussion, I too want to get a pair of the MT Drag Radials. Vince has pulled off a couple of 1.5's so I know they hook. I run the ET bias plies now on 15" rims and with the weak side wall the car dances a lot especially if you jerk the wheel like Craig was saying. I would like get the radials and mount them on my 17" rims instead of having the ugly 15" black truck rims I have the bias plies mounted on. I will have to get use to not shocking the tires off the line. Thats one thing I like about the flexible side wall of the bias ply tires... it's very forgiving and easy to launch. I can get low to mid 1.7's with about 310 rwhp on my '03 Mach. If I could get the same 60's with the drag radials I will be happy because with radials I should be able to break 110 mph.

If it's not raining (sorry I even mentioned that word) then I'll be there!

Ron.

--------------------
2003 DSG Mach1 Mustang - 12.41 @ 109 mph

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

hey what's up Ron,
I didn't know you posted on this site. when do u plan on getting drag radials? i really like the way you can shock the et streets, but last monday was just too unstable for comfort.

I'll be there this wednesday too.
see you there. [patriot]

--------------------
=(

Mach1Pony
¯
Member # 5435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach1Pony  Ford pictures for Mach1Pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
hey what's up Ron,
I didn't know you posted on this site. when do u plan on getting drag radials? i really like the way you can shock the et streets, but last monday was just too unstable for comfort.

I'll be there this wednesday too.
see you there. [patriot]

I show up on this site once in a while to see whats up.

As soon as I buy another set of 17" rims I will get the ET Drag Radials. I would like to get some 9" rims instead of the Mach1's stock 8" rims. I would like to run the 17" 275x40 (26x11.50 equivalent) radial. I'm thinking about just getting a set of bullet style rims because they are cheap and they look decent. Although my car might be mistaken for a regular GT with that type of rims on it (until they see that I'm running mid 12's!!)

Anyway, I'll see you out there. The weather should be nice and cool... lots of horse power to be unleashed.

-Ron

--------------------
2003 DSG Mach1 Mustang - 12.41 @ 109 mph

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

My bike will run between 12.0 and 12.6 at 101mph to 109mph, depending on how windy it is. I have run 11.97 at 109mph with a tailwind. It is a standard style bike with an old school KZ type 2 valve per cylinder motor. It resembles a late 70's KZ900, but it looks better.

Jersey, run the ET Streets again on Wednesday and I'll make a 12 second pass for you!

Craig

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ron, with the amount of miles you drive your car, you should just mount the ET Street Drag Radials on your 17's. You don't need to get an extra set of rims because they will never get used.

--------------------
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com