Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Test and tune results from 1/10/03 (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Test and tune results from 1/10/03
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, my nitrous still isn't working worth a F**K [Mad]
But the day wasn't a total waste, I did beat FasterDamnit 2 out of 3 and out E.T.'d him on the last one (12.18 to his 12.19), but my reaction time SUCKED so I lost

Best pass of the day on motor was 12.07 @ 112.19
Best pass of the day on the bottle sucked ass 11.47 @ 116 ?!?!?!?!
For some reason my nitrous wasn't working in 3rd or 4th gear (at least that's what it felt like) I picked up a WHOPPING 4 mph on a 200 shot [Confused]

Looks like I am going to rethink my plans (once again) May have to sell off the nitrous after I figure out what I am doing wrong (don't want to sell someone a kit that may be defective) Sell the GT-40 intake with both uppers (I have a Downs box for it too) Give in and finally buy an Edelbrock RPM intake and shoot for 11.80's on the motor all day long

We'll see, I change my mind more than a woman [Roll Eyes]

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what kit are you using ?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So is one of the uppers a stock one? What would you be looking to get for it? Let me know...
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup. [worship] Brian can drive!

The track prep was good but the surface for the first 100ft had lots of rubber chunks coming up. It really needs work. My best run of the day was a 12.06 at 113.27 on a 1.70 60ft. Brian's launches on the 200 shot were forays into serious tire spin. Not to mention his escapades getting sideways on his shifts. Think we need to start calling him "Animal"! My last run of the day a damn chebby camaro went before me and hosed the top end w/ coolant so my right rear spun BAD in 4th and I got sideways at the lights. That was enough adrenaline for one day so I want back to the pits. LOTs of runs, no waiting. Just needed a better surface to race on. [Frown]

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't sell yourself short, that save after hitting the coolant @ 110+ was a damn good piece of driving !!!!

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great job fellas... It was fun watching [Big Grin]

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got to thinking about proper runner length for your 331 Brian.
If you don't mind the advise, here it is. [Wink]

Victor 5.0 intake with a 1 inch spacer.
This will give the optimum 14 inches of runner length for your setup. Another option is the RPM 2 intake with 14 5/8 inches of runner length & tappered runners (for higher velocity). The RPM has 15 inch runners & no tapper & it's my opinion that the ports are a little small for 185's. I believe the GT40/Cobra intakes have 18 inch runners without spacers, but I could be wrong....it may be as low as 16, I can't remember.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nah even for most 347's the victor is too aggressive for the RPM range in use here. making power to and through 7k rpms? sure go with the victor on your stroker.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
nah even for most 347's the victor is too aggressive for the RPM range in use here. making power to and through 7k rpms? sure go with the victor on your stroker.

You've got to be kidding.
347's with RPM intake's peak before 6K unless the runners have been modified for more RPM. (5600-5800rpm HP peaks is about right for these setups)
13 inch runners is perfect for a 347 that peaks HP at 6000-6200rpm.
Hell the RPM intake on some local 302's peak before 6K with high flow heads & very aggressive cams ment to peak high in the RPM.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
I got to thinking about proper runner length for your 331 Brian.
If you don't mind the advise, here it is. [Wink]

The RPM has 15 inch runners & no tapper & it's my opinion that the ports are a little small for 185's

Wasn't Camara using an RPM on his 347 w/185's? Seemed to work pretty damn well with his motor [worship]
The RPM II is, well.... Not worth $600
The other thing is that the Victor has no provisions for EGR. While there are other non smog legal components on my car, an EGR valve is a MUST when driving in Redding when it's 115 degrees outside [Eek!]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Camara's motor peaked at the same RPM with every setup from the AFR165/X cam combo to the last one. The last setup would have made significantly more power with a Vic 5.0.

If you don't run a smog pump there is nothing going through the EGR valve anyway.

Just a suggestion. [Wink]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not kidding at all, I could reference many-a 347 that lost power moving towards the victor intake (from a rpm or holley), but one person in this thread already has their mind made up and doesn't care. [Razz]

edit: at least not without a cam swap, and some substantial reductions in sub 4k rpms performance

[ January 11, 2004, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: shade- ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shaun the statment about the air pump and egr is NOT correct. [patriot] do a little more reading then it should be clear

[ January 11, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
Shaun the statment about the air pump and egr is NOT correct. [patriot] do a little more reading then it should be clear

LOL, I was thinking the same thing

The air injection system has absolutely NOTHING to do with the EGR system
The air pump adds air to the exhaust system to help aid in the reduction of emissions by promoting additional burning of the leftover CO and HC AFTER it has left the combustion chamber
The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system allows a metered amount of exhaust (an inert gas) to enter the intake tract, be distributed into the cylinders, cooling the combustion chamber, reduce "pinging" and lower NOx emissions

Food for thought

Brian

[ January 11, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
but what the f*** do mechanics know [BS flag] that is funny

[ January 11, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
1320MASTER
¯
Member # 773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1320MASTER  Ford pictures for 1320MASTER  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Me think's somebody should take some smog classes to learn what components effect engine performance and emissions. [Eek!]

--------------------
EA Smog Tech/Smog Lic/ASE Master Tech
93 SSP Coupe 440ci sbf coming soon

Posts: 593 | From: Sacramento Calif | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mike's last setup with the RPM manilfold made peak power at 6k RPM.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AaronC:

and it was a fully ported rpm if i remember right, maybe not fully ported but it was ported

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

A Mustang's Nightmare
¯
Member # 2731

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Mustang's Nightmare  Ford pictures for A Mustang's Nightmare    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I'm sorry for that coolant spill (faster damnit).That damm camaro was me.anyways I got a best 11.90@116 on motor.For some reason my nitrous didnt work.And my alternator went bad,my bettery die.It was allright after all.

--------------------
11.70/118 n/a old comvo
FAST GM'S

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
quote:
Originally posted by AaronC:

and it was a fully ported rpm if i remember right, maybe not fully ported but it was ported
And it is FULLY ported

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

I can always count on those professional mechanics to rip me one when they get a chance! A, what the hell, I'd do it to them too! Hahahaha! [Wink]

You guys are right. I got a bit confused with the pipe between the heads that runs to the smog pump. I forgot the one-way valve runs the OTHER way, not to the pump. LOL

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:

LOL, I was thinking the same thing

The air injection system has absolutely NOTHING to do with the EGR system
The air pump adds air to the exhaust system to help aid in the reduction of emissions by promoting additional burning of the leftover CO and HC AFTER it has left the combustion chamber
The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system allows a metered amount of exhaust (an inert gas) to enter the intake tract, be distributed into the cylinders, cooling the combustion chamber, reduce "pinging" and lower NOx emissions

Food for thought

Brian

i cant believe i actually understood what hes talking about...
[patriot]

Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
what kit are you using ?

Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier

Here is a break down:

I am running an N.O.S. GT-40 bigshot plate w/200hp jets
Bottle pressure was @ 1000-1050 at start of run
Fuel pressure was set @ 38psi
Hobbs switch set @ 34 psi (and is working fine, tested it at the track)
MSD window switch w/3400-on, 6600-off pills (hooked up through my MSD 6AL)
Base timing is set @ 15 degrees on motor, 8 degrees on bottle

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hhmmmm aaronc how come you didn't run your car(you were there) aren't you curious what it will run on nittos with out a tailwind???
Good job Brian you had the baddest Mustang Vert at the track(then of course you usually do LOL) one good traction day away from the 11's

[ January 12, 2004, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
hhmmmm aaronc how come you didn't run your car(you were there) aren't you curious what it will run on nittos with out a tailwind???

Where do you get this tailwind stuff? Is this another of your false accusations or something? Don't worry about me running. I didn't plan on it. I was there to watch my buddy with his 01 SS. Like I said before, I'll be there the 17th and ready to run then [burnout] You are going to make it right [Confused] Oh, I will be trying my Nitto's as well as some ET Drags. Don't complain about my tires because the last I checked all the other mustangs were running slicks too!

[ January 12, 2004, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: AaronC ]

--------------------

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com