Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Project 5.0: Went to the track on 3-2-02

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Project 5.0: Went to the track on 3-2-02
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I improved my best times again after the removal of the stock cat-back and installing 2.5" mufflers and flowtubes in their place (no tailpipes anymore, it's dumped). The time is a 13.67 at 99.14 with a 1.97 60 ft. This was still on my 225-60-15 street tires. Drag radials will be coming up soon. I'm happy with this time and hoping for 12's with full exhaust and gears. Anybody think it will be possible?

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice! What brand/model 225 tires are you running? Several people have ran 12's on a stocker 5.O... you just have to get your 60 foots well into the 1.6X range and lighten up your car some. What was your 1/8th mile ET and MPH?
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right on Brian! Those times are lookin pretty good!! I dont think 12's is too far away

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Nice! What brand/model 225 tires are you running? Several people have ran 12's on a stocker 5.O... you just have to get your 60 foots well into the 1.6X range and lighten up your car some. What was your 1/8th mile ET and MPH?

The tires are called Goodyear Eagle GPS. The 1/8th mile was 8.73 at 79.38 mph. I'm thinking I might remove the spare tire and stuff like that to help a little bit in the weight department. It weighed in at 3300 on the scale at the track yesterday.

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: 5.0Brian ]

--------------------
Brian

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brian, great times, i cant believe you. way to go!
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sawson, Miles, and Chuck, thanks for the compliments.

--------------------
Brian

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds to me like slicks will get you a 12, go for it! try to minimize the mods, you know, just gears, pullies, exhaust if you can.

I had to get my 60' into the 1.7x range to run 12's in my stock motored 5.0 (except for an explorer intake). 1/8 mile stats for me were 8.2x at 82-83 that got me some 12's.

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
sounds to me like slicks will get you a 12, go for it! try to minimize the mods, you know, just gears, pullies, exhaust if you can.

I had to get my 60' into the 1.7x range to run 12's in my stock motored 5.0 (except for an explorer intake). 1/8 mile stats for me were 8.2x at 82-83 that got me some 12's.

Looking at that mph compared to mine it looks like I need some more power also. Hopefully the headers and off-road H will cure that for me (if I ever get around to installing them). I need to get those headers first though. Hey Miles, when can I get those from you?

--------------------
Brian

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
81mph in the 1/8 and 102 in the 1/4 are about all you need to get a 12 in a mostly stock stang.

my mph was a little high relative to my ET I think because of my clutch/tranny. 1-2 and 2-3 I wasn't able to totally powershift. that costs some ET. [worship]

yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sometimes I wish I had bought a notchback ...

BTW, nice times!!!

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats Brian. Way to to go

I disagree with shadtree about going 12's with a 102 trap. Only way thats possible is with a full gutted car, slicks, low 1.6 60ft, 50 degree weather, and to shift perfectly. Not saying it can't be done, just next to impossible. I'm runing 13.3@102 with a 1.7 60ft.

Look at IMBROKEN- he is trapping 108, and just ran a 12.96 with ET streets.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gutting has nothing to do with it. mph simply represents (or approximates) HP vs. weight. You could either add HP, or subtract weight. Either way it doesn't make any difference to the outcome.
I stated what I have seen as the bare minumum mph shown to hit a 12.9x in a stock suspension'd mustang. You can take that to also indicate an optimal pass. Something like a marqee driver.

hitting 13.3 @ 102 is indicative that either the chassis isn't as effecient as a fox chassis, (perhaps it has lowering springs, slicks without a big sidewall, excessive weight over the front wheels, perhaps it doesn't have enough gear, etc. etc.) or there is improvement left available in the driver.

12.9 @ 108.x shows me that there is easily 0.5 in ET left in that driver!

Jared Rude of the corral is a good example of a completely stock (edit: MOTORED) mustang squeaking a 12.99 @ 102.x with a mid 1.7x 60'.

One of his tricks was racing with a decent clutch and a re-built stock tranny so that he could powershift like a biznatch.

my car hit a 13.11 @ 102 so I know it's feasible. That was in summer, around high 70 temps, didn't even have headers. Just an ordinary high 1.7x 60' and clean powershifts.

I brought it up once (on the corral) that perhaps the SN-95 chassis is less efficient in terms of MPH/vs. ET.

I was summarily rebuttled by the mod motor guys running the same types of ET/vs. MPH (plenty of 12.9x @ 102.x in the mod motor classes too)
So this tells me that the SN-95 is just as capable of 'ideal' launches as a fox.

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

youl luz
¯
Member # 53

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for youl luz  Ford pictures for youl luz  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:

Look at IMBROKEN- he is trapping 108, and just ran a 12.96 with ET streets.

FWIW: matt ran 17" drag radials and was only traping at 106mph up at sac for some reason...

Posts: 1663 | From: bay area/SAC cali. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Having saleen bumpers is not a plus for me. There are guys squeezing 12.9's@104 on stock Gt's. How they are trapping 104's os beyond me. Maybe 12.9's is possible out of a 103, but not hot lapping and and have full interior. You need a perfect launch and perfect shifying.

Maybe Brian can get a 12.99 w/ long tubes slicks and gears. He seems to have his driving down. I never broke a 2.0 60ft on street tires. My best is a 2.02

Gabe- I need the info fir the show.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
81mph in the 1/8 and 102 in the 1/4 are about all you need to get a 12 in a mostly stock stang.

my mph was a little high relative to my ET I think because of my clutch/tranny. 1-2 and 2-3 I wasn't able to totally powershift. that costs some ET. [worship]

I'm not even powershifting though, just shifting quickly. How much ET do you think is in
powershifting? I plan to do shorty headers and an off-road H pipe still, also my gears need to be installed and the traction-lock needs to be rebuilt because the car will only do a one-legger burnout (I only spin the right rear right now it's so worn out). It'll also be nice to not light up that one tire making right corners or when driving in the rain too.

Thanks to all for the compliments [worship]

--------------------
Brian

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

sounds like your current diff will really hold back your 60' with slicks. You probably don't notice it as much as your quite traction limited on street tires anyways. When my diff was going (actually, one rear caliper was locking, same difference), I could only manage mid/high 1.8x 60's on ET streets. fixing the caliper allowed a solid launch and low/mid 1.7x with same tires.

Powershifting... is worth easily 0.2 by itself. The critical one is 1-2. 2-3 is less important, and the run is virtually over by 3-4 (powershift it anyways of course)

when I went from stock headers to longtubes it was worth a solid 1 mph. Not a bad mod. I think short-tubes aren't worth a whole lot on a stocker though.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put some 28 inch slicks on stocker and run some 4.10s or 4.30s and I bet it will 1.6 60 foot.

I went 1.67s with 4.10s on a 28X10.5X15 on stock motor with cam and long tubes/pullies/exhaust.

I 1.52 with a 175 shot same slicks same gear.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com