Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » opinions on older"supercars" (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: opinions on older"supercars"
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dream of driving a Magnum Pi Ferrari every once in a while....

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
Some earlier 360's had issues with the engine management computer. Watch out for leaky water pumps too.

Appreciate the useful information [patriot]
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.t0es:
quote:
Some earlier 360's had issues with the engine management computer. Watch out for leaky water pumps too.

Appreciate the useful information [patriot]
No sweat.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get an ariel atom v8. Or the regular one. Even a caterham would be fun aswell.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Smoked50:
quote:
quote:
I own a 04 Gallardo, 01 360 and '10 GTR. I enjoy the GTR mostly because of the acceleration/attention. I actually get more thumbs up in the GTR, don't know if I don't notice in the Lamborghini but you can never go wrong with a GTR, after 09 the transmissions are stronger and the ride is comfortable/fast/handles amazing. It's actually faster than my Gallardo and costs less.

is the gallardo manual or the egear?
Egear, replaced the clutch once in the 3 years I've owned it but I don't drive it on weekdays.
Thanks, do you believe the gallardo is worth the extra 30k opposed to say a 2001 360?
If you can afford a Gallardo comfortably I would go that route. I feel the Lamborghini is a nicer overall car.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I own a 04 Gallardo, 01 360 and '10 GTR. I enjoy the GTR mostly because of the acceleration/attention. I actually get more thumbs up in the GTR, don't know if I don't notice in the Lamborghini but you can never go wrong with a GTR, after 09 the transmissions are stronger and the ride is comfortable/fast/handles amazing. It's actually faster than my Gallardo and costs less.

is the gallardo manual or the egear?
Egear, replaced the clutch once in the 3 years I've owned it but I don't drive it on weekdays.
Thanks, do you believe the gallardo is worth the extra 30k opposed to say a 2001 360?
If you can afford a Gallardo comfortably I would go that route. I feel the Lamborghini is a nicer overall car.
It wont happen honestly, its too much of a stretch at the moment, narrowing it down to the 360, c7 or gen 2-3 viper in the near future. I am being very cautious and picky so this may not haooen for 3-6 months
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is my own bias but have you considered the F355? I know it is even slower than the 360 but I have a jonesing for a six speed manual late model F355 Berlinetta or '99 GTS. An F355 Challenge would be even better, albeit not street legal (?) Second to the F355 would be a Balboni Gallardo. Six speed and RWD to make the most fun out of the V10 powered bull.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Before this turns into a hellcat thread, I have been saving for quite a while, and am close to being able to buy something outright/very small loan on a more expensive vehicle...I am pretty nervous as this would be a big purchase to me. It may take 6+ months as some of the cars are pretty rare. I appreciate the feedback from some of you guys.
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would just buy a GTS Viper and be done with it, Or a SRT-10 Viper if you have the money for it.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuck all these ferraris and lambos, go buy a 91 VW Vanagon

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
I would just buy a GTS Viper and be done with it, Or a SRT-10 Viper if you have the money for it.

I am reaserching the 1999+ rt/10 and the gts pros and cons at the moment. This is probably the route I am going..The problem is not many are local.
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not sure if you have check this place out but seems they only sell exotics cars.

http://sanfranciscosportscars.com/

--------------------

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
Im not sure if you have check this place out but seems they only sell exotics cars.

http://sanfranciscosportscars.com/

Nice cars, Way over my budget but I will keep checking inventory...
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It probably goes without saying... but if you buy an exotic, extensive maintenance history and records are key.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ballin' on a budget FTW!
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by TEXAS:
Ballin' on a budget FTW!

FTL
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
It probably goes without saying... but if you buy an exotic, extensive maintenance history and records are key.

Thats another story, most of the ones I have viewed are from dealers with nothing more than a carfax as previous maintenance history.
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My dad's friend owns an exotic indy shop in SF. He replaced the clutch on a Diablo VT one of the times we went to visit him. He said for him (many many years ago), it was a $10k job. The parts alone were $4k. That right there forever changed my outlook on owning an exotic. I may be able to buy one, but if it ever broke, it would sit in my garage for years.

[ 2015-06-17, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
My dad's friend owns an exotic indy shop in SF. He replaced the clutch on a Diablo VT one of the times we went to visit him. He said for him (many many years ago), it was a $10k job. The parts alone were $4k. That right there forever changed my outlook on owning an exotic. I may be able to buy one, but if it ever broke, it would sit in my garage for years.

Yes, Im pretty much realizing that now. After extensive research what I budgeted for downfalls wasnt accurate. I am leaning to 99+ gts/rt/10 I find they are a lot less to maintain and I love the body styles.
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

If you can wrench and have buddies that can wrench its just another car. People are so scare of bmw Mercedes cause cost to maintain but if can do it yourself and take time finding the parts u will be good.

--------------------

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get yourself a 2007+ Aston Martin Vantage. For 40-60k, you can be 007.
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
Originally posted by Secnd2nun64:

But then I would be second to one!
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I had an 06 Aston Martin, don't know if they did anything different in the 07 but my dash looked like a Christmas tree, that car had a lot of problems.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

I had an 06 Aston Martin, don't know if they did anything different in the 07 but my dash looked like a Christmas tree, that car had a lot of problems.
A British car with electrical issues? No way. I don't believe it.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com