Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Lookin to buy Low/Upper Control arms..Opinions?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Lookin to buy Low/Upper Control arms..Opinions?
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are your opinions on the best control arms on the market? I hear about BBK all the time, but are they really worth it? I do have a budget, but if i need to i can save up..

Please let me know what you guys think, and your experiences!!!!

Charles [patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cant go wrong with maximum motor sport

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If on a budget, QA-1 is pretty good.

--------------------
'00XlRangerSlammed-'91Gt347Turbo-'93CalypsoSCFaleen
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drift angle kit by duncan
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is your power level?
Some of the lower priced control arms can't handle too much torque. For example the Blue Oval industries brand/Summit brand are only good for about 400 lbs. ft. of torque.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-790000b-w/overview/year/1992/make/ford/model/mustang
I had these on my car since it was stock and ran them not knowing their limit and eventually made 500+ hp and they actually failed lol. Now I run the Baseline Pro-launch chrome moly kit with adjustable upper and lowers.

[ 2015-03-12, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: 92_5.0 ]

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For rear control arms you want the ones that let the suspension move freely. The typical bbk with urethane on both ends are junk. Maximum Motorsports, Global west, Baseline, Griggs, Team z, Steeda, Upr are all good options.

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92_5.0:
What is your power level?
Some of the lower priced control arms can't handle too much torque. For example the Blue Oval industries brand/Summit brand are only good for about 400 lbs. ft. of torque.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-790000b-w/overview/year/1992/make/ford/model/mustang
I had these on my car since it was stock and ran them not knowing their limit and eventually made 500+ hp and they actually failed lol. Now I run the Baseline Pro-launch chrome moly kit with adjustable upper and lowers.

My horse is pretty low. I only have an xpipe. So, pretty much stock HP. I do have plans, in the future, to put a 351w in it, but that has been my plan for a long time, School takes my money and work takes my time. Hahaha I would rather buy one and be done. If I need to save up, i will.

[ 2015-03-13, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: KARATExxCHUCK ]

--------------------

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

quote:
Originally posted by Saleen 00-768:
For rear control arms you want the ones that let the suspension move freely. The typical bbk with urethane on both ends are junk. Maximum Motorsports, Global west, Baseline, Griggs, Team z, Steeda, Upr are all good options.

Why would i want the suspension to move freely?

--------------------

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
quote:

Because the control arms would be fighting each other, and that's how you rip out torque boxes. Get the heavy duty maximum motorsport lowers and leave the stock uppers.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had the MM with adj spring perches on my 96 worth every penny; had Hotchkis uppers but never installed them. but seemed solid

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
quote:

Well first off you need to understand how suspension works. You want the suspension to be able to properly articulate over the imperfections on the road as it was designed to do. If you bind the suspension so it can't move the axle try's to twist the car and you end up with an unpredictable oversteer prone car and a shortened life to the torque boxes as mentioned. What you don't want is the axle to rotate and move horizontally, but to move up and down freely at different heights on either side at the rate of the spring.

[ 2015-03-13, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Saleen 00-768 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

AWESOME!!! Thank you all who replied!!

Charles [patriot]

--------------------

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Out in the rear I cheaped out and got SVE along with their first set of red springs they came out with. It performs good IMO but I don't have the stock torque boxes in my car no more and that's when I really noticed a huge difference.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chuck - Check PM

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
theconductor
¯
Member # 13458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theconductor  Ford pictures for theconductor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 70stang351w:
Had the MM with adj spring perches on my 96 worth every penny; had Hotchkis uppers but never installed them. but seemed solid

I have these too. Along with a torque arm and no uppers. It takes about 30 seconds a side without even jacking up the car to adjust the rear ride height. I love it!

--------------------
Woke Bruh

Posts: 349 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  :
4 CAM FOX
¯
Member # 11891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4 CAM FOX  Ford pictures for 4 CAM FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1000 On going Maximum Motorsports. Before i installed my torque arm, i had a pair of their lowers with the stock uppers.

--------------------
"The clutch is on the left. Gas on the right."
"What's this one in the middle?"
"It's for pussies."

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com