Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » More HP? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: More HP?
Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do not do a cam swap with stock heads. You are wasting money.Your best bet is to save and do at least heads and intake. If money allows do cam at same time. You want a little more power up the timing to 13-15 degrees and must run 91.

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Beastly GT500 TVS
¯
Member # 9723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly GT500 TVS  Ford pictures for Beastly GT500 TVS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88coupe:
Get some underdrive pullies if you have not yet, good bang for the buck mod and easy to install.

Upgrade the alt 1st or you will discharge at idle

--------------------
91/E85 tune by SHAUN AT AED
700HP/700TQ ON E85
10.78@129MPH 1.644 60FT

WWW.AEDHP.COM

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88coupe:
Get some underdrive pullies if you have not yet, good bang for the buck mod and easy to install.

After looking these up i think i will do just that. Thanks!

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I did a cam change on my 289 with stock heads I noticed a decent change in torque and a increased rpm range. Given that he's opened up his exhaust I would expect a similar change plus it's relatively cheap and allows him to grow that much more power when he gets some aftermarket heads. The biggest change in power for me besides the supercharger though was putting on the trickflow heads. I did under drive pulleys before and was not impressed with the gain. I think he would be better off with a hci even if he can't purchase it all at the same time.

[ 2014-05-15, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Secnd2nun64 ]

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3g upgrade was done a out two weeks ago. If i can get under drive pulleys cheap ill do within this week. And ill keep an eye out for h/c/i

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

MaK_1967v8
¯
Member # 12187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaK_1967v8  Ford pictures for MaK_1967v8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SacGrown89GT:
quote:
Originally posted by MaK_1967v8:
cant go wrong with H/C/I on pretty much anything.

Yeah but thats kinda pricy. Cant even do that at the moment. But want to
Its really not that pricey, to be honest. GT40 heads, and the cobra intake can be found on craigslist all day long. Mother's automotive machining does an excellent job on heads ( I've never taken mustang heads, but they just rebuilt the heads on my 4Runner because it blew the headgasket, they came back to me flawless ) The only thing I'd buy brand new ( which is still inexpensive ) is the cam.

Good luck, I'm sure i'll see you around sacramento.

--------------------
1967 C Code Coupe
2004 Roush Stage 2

Posts: 620 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jul 2012  |  :
P.B.R .stangs
¯
Member # 6544

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for P.B.R .stangs  Ford pictures for P.B.R .stangs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Electric fan swap from a mark 8, contour, or taurus, and under drive pulleys. Then do HCI when you can. Pick n pull usually has 5liter explorers you can pull the gt40p heads and the intake which flow about the same as a cobra intake. Then buy a alphabet cam and roller rockers and call it a day until you do a 5-speed swap.

--------------------
86 gt (parted out)
90 lincoln mark 7 (sold)
99 cobra (sold)
89 5.0 lx hatch (sold)

Posts: 167 | From: fair oaks/sacramento | Registered: Feb 2006  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

[patriot]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

king_jays_50
¯
Member # 9513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for king_jays_50  Ford pictures for king_jays_50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
U can get some gt40's and an explorer intake from picknpull for less than $150, have the heads gone through that'll be another $50-$125 and that should wake it up a lil bit with that e303 cam then all u need is some rockers and a bigger throttle body and there u have it! U could also do bigger injectors as well
Posts: 711 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
quickblue302
¯
Member # 7912

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for quickblue302  Ford pictures for quickblue302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a tune! My car went from a 15.1 to a 14.4 with a chip and UDPs

--------------------
Eat rice it's good for you!

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Im trying to tune it as we speak. Car runs fone. Starts fine. But when i kick a/c on shuts off

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Saleen 00-0768:
If your afraid of the nitrous, a good set of heads like afr165s or TFS 170s will make a good size difference that you will feel. I would compliment them with a cheap Explorer intake n prolly get an extra 50hp+ to the wheels with out needing a tune. This is somthing most mechanically inclined people can do if they have the right tools, a tq wrench ect.

He can't go aluminum heads. He wants to stay smog legal. Yes, you can buy smog legal aluminum heads, but then why go Al heads?

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
quote:
If your afraid of the nitrous, a good set of heads like afr165s or TFS 170s will make a good size difference that you will feel. I would compliment them with a cheap Explorer intake n prolly get an extra 50hp+ to the wheels with out needing a tune. This is somthing most mechanically inclined people can do if they have the right tools, a tq wrench ect.

He can't go aluminum heads. He wants to stay smog legal. Yes, you can buy smog legal aluminum heads, but then why go Al heads?
Most after market heads are smog legal. One of the biggest reason to go Aluminum heads is you get a 40-60lbs of weight taken off the front of the car. That in it self is good for a tenth.. I see lots of people saying do a cam swap. But say nothing about the valve springs in your old ass heads. Brand new stock springs have a .500 max lift. Your old used springs are more than likely in the .480 range. Almost all after market cams are .499 or bigger lift. That will run you into valve float, bent valves, and shit canned motor. After market heads have a .550 max lift or bigger spring. Another reason to get after market heads.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

SLOW95GTS
¯
Member # 10365

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOW95GTS  Ford pictures for SLOW95GTS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
quote:
Originally posted by KARATExxCHUCK:
quote:

Most after market heads are smog legal. One of the biggest reason to go Aluminum heads is you get a 40-60lbs of weight taken off the front of the car. That in it self is good for a tenth.. I see lots of people saying do a cam swap. But say nothing about the valve springs in your old ass heads. Brand new stock springs have a .500 max lift. Your old used springs are more than likely in the .480 range. Almost all after market cams are .499 or bigger lift. That will run you into valve float, bent valves, and shit canned motor. After market heads have a .550 max lift or bigger spring. Another reason to get after market heads.
+1!

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 5.0 - "minor mods"

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Before u go hacking away at ur car keep in mind to do tasteful mods ex. headers. Keep it simple.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Yeah after all the feed back. I think all im going to do to car is 5spd later. Im not trying to go with internal mods. Might get a 65mm tb and ud pulleys. Advance timing a bit. And call it a day. Thanks guys

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Yeah after all the feed back. I think all im going to do to car is 5spd later. Im not trying to go with internal mods. Might get a 65mm tb and ud pulleys. Advance timing a bit. And call it a day. Thanks guys

Converter would wake the car up for now. Auto tranny is boring until you are making at least 500 hp, and the aod also needs a quality rebuild, Lentech Manuel valve body, and a good converter to make it fun to drive.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:

Converter would wake the car up for now. Auto tranny is boring until you are making at least 500 hp, and the aod also needs a quality rebuild, Lentech Manuel valve body, and a good converter to make it fun to drive.
Yeah got a good rebuild. Shift kit and convertor installed. All about a year ago

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:

Yeah got a good rebuild. Shift kit and convertor installed. All about a year ago
Nice have You done the VB yet? I went with Lentech VB & edge converter and it hooks up on the street or strip with a Detroit locker & mickeys! Fun car to drive IMO.

--------------------

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Oops dp

[ 2014-05-15, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: SmokinLX ]

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Shit idk if they did the vb. my boy works at a transmission parts warehouse where he gets everything cheap. I just told em i wanted everything added to the rebuild. Honestly i just dropped car off at the shop and dude hit me up like 2 days later. car feels way better than other autos ive driven. So i dont know what vb i have. But yeah only thing i fkd up on( i ddnt know) is not putting new rear main seal. Im leaking a little bit of oil now

[ 2014-05-15, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: SacGrown89GT ]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
VB?

Valve body.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Shit idk if they did the vb. my boy works at a transmission parts warehouse where he gets everything cheap. I just told em i wanted everything added to the rebuild. Honestly i just dropped car off at the shop and dude hit me up like 2 days later. car feels way better than other autos ive driven. So i dont know what vb i have. But yeah only thing i fkd up on( i ddnt know) is not putting new rear main seal. Im leaking a little bit of oil now

VB is the connected to the shifter & good od one will have a button or switch that gives U the extra selection 4 od so U can control each gear because stock one shares the drive and od selection so U can floor it in 3rd and it doesn't keep shifting between 3rd & od randomly & also can include a tranny brake that is great 4 staging & launching!

--------------------

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

I only use od on freeway.

I just know on 1- its only first gear. On D- its second and third. And on The next (D) its overdrive.

[ 2014-05-15, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: SacGrown89GT ]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
I only use od on freeway.

I just know on 1- its only first gear. On D- its second and third. And on The next (D) its overdrive.

Oh shit My bad it's been a long while since I swaped out!

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com