Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » who here knows alot about computers and laptops (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: who here knows alot about computers and laptops
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you mean by crash? What does it do?
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
I'm not computer guy nor do I claim to be but usually what keeps failing on my laptop is the hard drive I have a feeling because I do a lot of Data logging with it and I use in shop in a shop environment as well as a home PC environment

quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
and I mean by un reliable is the hard drive always seems to last between 18 months to 24 months my son had the same laptop and use it exclusively in his room at home in the same thing it went to two hard drives in two and a half years.my first laptop which I bought in 2000 was fairly expensive I got six six and a half years before it finally failed

Are you using a traditional hard disc drive? Or solid state?

Also, you should always have a separate backup drive, so if your drive dies, you pop in a replacement and load your backup and everything is back to normal.

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do have a backup external drive and I back things up on a semi-regular basis the hard drives that always failed have been traditional style hard drives. I bought a new one today which I believe is solid state they told me it has no moving parts and would hold up better in the kind of environment I use it in.
sorry for the grammar but I'm posting this from my phone this autocorrect is a b****

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
subbz
¯
Member # 12920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for subbz  Ford pictures for subbz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The problem with laptops is that they're terrible with heat. They overheat a lot which is bad for any electronics. That might be why your hard drive is failing. Also apple computers are overpriced. The hardware they use is no different from a regular PC. What you're mostly paying for is the brand and the OS. If you treat your computer like you would if it was your car then it should last you a pretty long time.
FobraJay
¯
Member # 13344

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FobraJay  Ford pictures for FobraJay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MAC FTW [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Mustang
1986 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang Coupe
2001 ZY SlowBra

Posts: 217 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2013  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com