Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 1964 faclon build...PAINT Finally all DONE (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 1964 faclon build...PAINT Finally all DONE
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89TRUNK:
What grit did you start cutting with and what'd you end with.

started with 1500 with soapy water and went to 2000, if it was a darker color I would have gone to 2500 - 3000.

[ 2013-08-21, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
quote:
What grit did you start cutting with and what'd you end with.

started with 1500 with soapy water and went to 2000, if it was a darker color I would have gone to 2500 - 3000.
I still have to do this to mine. Did you tape body lines and edges. What kind of pad did you use for cutting.
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm sure this isn't the best stuff out there, but I've done 4 cars now with this stuff, http://www.systemfiftyone.com/?p=38 This stuff is very user friendly and I've only burnt thru 1 edge with it. (which was my fault cause I was putting too much pressure and not paying attention) How is the orange peel on your paint job?

on my 68 driver door which had pretty good orange peel after the clear dried for a few days.  - this was after I cut and buffed

[ 2013-08-22, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

this was before cutting and buffing. About 1 month after paint  -  - this was before and after sanding with 1500-2000

[ 2013-08-22, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------

89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a little more than what you would see on an older factory paint job.
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

quote:
It's a little more than what you would see on an older factory paint job.

I would try that product if you wanna try cutting and buffing.. its really pretty easy, just time. Once you see the difference you will be addicted though..

--------------------

maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wish i had the skills to do this type of work... looking real good bro!

--------------------
Looking for clean white mustang email me

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

quote:
Originally posted by maeco:
i wish i had the skills to do this type of work... looking real good bro!

Don't know until you try it.. shit I just jumped right into it.. I've been reading a lot lately on interior.. My next goal is to make some custom door panels and center console

--------------------

87 coupe
¯
Member # 10919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87 coupe  Ford pictures for 87 coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why didn't u clear coat the black and red at same time with that thin tape for two tones are u going to pin stripe were red and black meet?
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Seriously if you want some extra cash from a side job let me know. Need to get the car painted.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

90GTSleeepr
¯
Member # 9609

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GTSleeepr  Ford pictures for 90GTSleeepr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice

[ 2013-08-26, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: 90GTSleeepr ]

--------------------
Jon Plummer 916-410-6269 aka 90GTSleeepr aka arrowdetail@hotmail.com aka Nicetwiceautoresto@gmail.com Wanted for business scams

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 coupe:
Why didn't u clear coat the black and red at same time with that thin tape for two tones are u going to pin stripe were red and black meet?

I think because he is leaving the black flat

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Well my satin didn't lay the way I wanted it. [Frown] so now the question is go with satin again and try again or say fuck it and go gloss?  -  - gun started acting funny. soo back to drawing board.. sanding again

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good to me ! Did you shoot clear over the black I heard even doing a satin or flat that a clear must be used to achieve the perfect look and will hide any imperfections when shooting the base black color down

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Failed attempt #1 looked pretty good to me. I wish I had pictures but I've seen a DIY matte black using a Dupli-Color Matte Clear Coat. The guy was similar to you. Learned and researched on his own and has a few paint jobs under his belt. It looked more satin with a sheen than a flat matte look.
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ya I wanted the semi gloss, but it has a light tigger stripes Don't like it, so off it comes and gloss in on the way. It was a good idea, but don't know if I'm as much of a fan of half the car satin.

--------------------

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go gloss black! [Big Grin]
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've sprayed a few cars but never a satin. I know its a PITA to get it right tho, especially since u cant cut n buff it. What went wrong? Looks good in pics [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
told you not to do the satin!
Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sand with 800 wet...
Since it is black already... Add 20% more reducer. Throw a medium tack coat....followed immediately by a medium wet coat. Wait 15 minutes at 72 degrees. If you are shooting above 85 degrees. Times speed up. And you will need to add some slower reducer. Last coat after waiting a few minutes...add like 50% more reducer. More reducer slows it down and lays it out better.

[ 2013-08-26, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: 75 chevy ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

When its really hot out...I use a clear coat blender as a reducer on the last coat. That would be the 50% reduction coat. i.e. 4 parts black.. 1 part hardener.. 1 part reducer.. plus 50% reducer by volume.
Put a 36 inch sheet of paper on the wall....test your gun out b4 you spray the car! They also make test panels you can practice on.

[ 2013-08-26, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: 75 chevy ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gloss! I was going to do satin but backed out. Looks good though!!

--------------------
1966 Mustang

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

quote:
Originally posted by Secnd2nun64:
Go gloss black! [Big Grin]

That's the plan! Being a garage paint job satin has to lay perfect. Well can't fix any spots with cutting and buffing so fuck it. Live and learn. Gettin a controlled environment in the garage is hard.

--------------------

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you go around the house just going "fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck!" I would have.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could vinyl wrap the satin black.

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com