Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Scotch, Whisky, Bourbon... Anyone? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Scotch, Whisky, Bourbon... Anyone?
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Figured I'd throw out an update. Picked up several bottles since last update. From top left:

Chivas Regal 12/18, Ardbeg 10, Aberlour A'bunadh, Highland Park 12/18, Johnnie Walker Red/Black/Double Black/Green/Gold & Blue, The Balvenie 12 Doublewood & 14 Caribbean Cask, Macallan 12 & Directors Edition, Bowmore 12, Lagavulin 16, Glenlivet Nadurra, Glenlivet 18(80's bottling), Oban 18, Glenfarclas 25

Red Breast 12, Monarch of the Glen 15, Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, Wild Turkey Rye, Pappy Van Winkle 12, Russels Reserve 10, Jack Daniels, Gentleman Jack x2

-

From top left:
J&B, Trader Joes/Macallan 10 Year, Kirkland/Macallan 15/18 & 20 Sherry Oak, Everclear 190 Proof x2, Crown Royal, Southern Comfort, Yukon Jack, CC Citrus

-

[ 2013-12-05, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just added Glenfarclas 25 to the tasting for today

[ 2013-04-08, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

On a side note JW Double Black is really good. lots of smoke but yet smooth and sweet

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

00SLVRGT
¯
Member # 4509

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00SLVRGT  Ford pictures for 00SLVRGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What would be your favorite "lower" priced one so far? Like more than Crown or Jamison but not crazy expensive
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 00SLVRGT:
What would be your favorite "lower" priced one so far? Like more than Crown or Jamison but not crazy expensive

So far for my taste buds I've found that I really like smokey, peaty scotch, so for reasonably priced stuff I really like Johnnie Walker Double Black about $40, or Green Label about $50, Bowmore 12 is very smokey/peaty & I really like it about $45, but it might be too much for some. For a more Highland flavor the Monarch Glen 15 Year Blend I find to be very reasonably priced at under $25. Both Kirkland Scotch'(costco bottling) are under $50. One is a 15 year sherry oak Macallan and the other is a Speyside 20 year single malt. There are only 8 distilleries from what I have read in speyside, so it comes from one of them and is quite good. Speysides are known for being a little more sweet and this one definitely is.

Step up a little and get Johhnie Walker Gold Label Roughly $70, and you will most likely enjoy it very much. There's a reason JW is the number one brand of Scotch around the world. It's darn good in all of it's blends.

If you really want to step it up then I really like the Glenfarclas 25 Year about $140, and Johnnie Walker Blue Label about $140-$170 depending on location.

I plan on calming down on the high priced stuff for awhile, and plan on trying to find the best reasonably priced Scotch for my taste.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

00SLVRGT
¯
Member # 4509

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00SLVRGT  Ford pictures for 00SLVRGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok I will have to check them out, Thanks. I definitely like oak, spice and smokey flavors

--------------------
2000 GT Silver... SOLD
94 Cobra... SOLD
02 Foush, work in progress

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 00SLVRGT:
Ok I will have to check them out, Thanks. I definitely like oak, spice and smokey flavors

If that's the case then definitely try JW Double Black or Green, and get something from Bowmore, Lagavulin etc

Double Black will be the least expensive of the bunch, but is really good IMO

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Thinking about trying Red Breast 12 Irish Whiskey. Anyone here tried it before?

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

-

Wound up going a different route. This stuff is magical even without cutting it. Only scotch I've seen that has 100 points from wine enthusiast.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn your making me want to have a scotch right now! I have to go buy a bottle of this, your quite the salesman.
I love good scotch!! You have some nice ones in your little collection there buddy. Cheers.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
Damn your making me want to have a scotch right now! I have to go buy a bottle of this, your quite the salesman.
I love good scotch!! You have some nice ones in your little collection there buddy. Cheers.

The odd thing is that I didn't really liked Scotch to start with. Up until about a year ago I thought it was horrible. It took actually opening my mind and trying some decent Scotch to realize how good Scotch can be. After a full day of wine tasting in Napa courtesy of some good friends we went to their parents house. Started off with some Johhnie Walker Black Label, then moved onto some Johnnie Walker Gold Label. I was pretty amazed by how good the Gold Label was.

This was all back in April of last year. Then I started looking into Scotch, researching, reading tons of stuff, learning about the regions, how blends differ from single malts etc

So, I figured if JW Gold Label was good, then JW Blue Label must be Great. In fact JW Blue is absolutely amazing and hard to beat at it's price point. Total Wine & More now has JW Blue for $139.99 which is $20 less than I paid for it @ bevmo. I picked up JW Blue for New Years Celebration with the same good friends that took us wine tasting.

Then after JW Blue I figured I should try a single malt, so after much debate and reading I grabbed Highland Park 12 Year Age Statement Single Malt Scotch. I was absolutely blown away at how complex the flavor was and how much better than any Bourbon I had ever tasted it was. From then on I have been hitting Whisky forums and talking with folks in the Scotch aisles at the stores, asking for the Scotch experts on hand etc.

Yesterday I probably spent two hours at Total Wine & More since their selection is huge compared to bevmo. I talked to three different employees who knew a thing or two about Scotch, and several other customers. After that I just couldn't pass up a 100 points Scotch since I had never seen one before. Mine is the 44th bottling of A'Bunadh. All of the other bottlings I could find had at least 96 out of 100 points. Typically from what I've seen you have to get into the 30 year Single Malt Scotch to get to 96 points or above.

Here's a review from a Scott that has reviewed over 400 Whisky's. He has the ability to articulate the flavors he's tasting a lot better than I, so if you're curious about this Aberlour this would be the review to watch.

http://youtu.be/AfnTeOukYAs

From the videos I've watched from Ralphy he knows his stuff and is spot on. He seems completely unbiased by big name labels and will inform you based on his honest opinion.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Costco Kirkland Signature 18 year Single Malt scotch whisky for $33.69. I have not tried it yet but looks promising. The last batch was from Macallan and I'm not sure where this is from but people have been giving good reviews online. If anyone tries it before I do let us know!
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
Costco Kirkland Signature 18 year Single Malt scotch whisky for $33.69. I have not tried it yet but looks promising. The last batch was from Macallan and I'm not sure where this is from but people have been giving good reviews online. If anyone tries it before I do let us know!

If I see It I will pick up a bottle. Last time I was at Costco it was still the Macallan 15 & Speyside 20. The 15 Year Kirkland Macallan was already a good deal at $49.99, as was the 20 Year Speyside @44.99 with no distillers name mentioned. If it's a single malt we at least know that it had to come from a single distillery, and if it's called Scotch it was distilled and bottled in Scotland.

Does it say what region it comes from? Highlands, Lowlands, Speyside, Islay, Campbeltown? How long ago did you see it?

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:

If I see It I will pick up a bottle. Last time I was at Costco it was still the Macallan 15 & Speyside 20. The 15 Year Kirkland Macallan was already a good deal at $49.99, as was the 20 Year Speyside @44.99 with no distillers name mentioned. If it's a single malt we at least know that it had to come from a single distillery, and if it's called Scotch it was distilled and bottled in Scotland.

Does it say what region it comes from? Highlands, Lowlands, Speyside, Islay, Campbeltown? How long ago did you see it?

It's Speyside. I saw it on slickdeals.net and I have not gone to costco yet. Here is a picture that was posted.

-

Here is a review of it
http://www.drinkhacker.com/2013/01/19/review-kirkland-speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky-20-years-sherry-cask-finish/

Thread from slickdeals
http://slickdeals.net/f/5960950-Costco-BM-Kirkland-Signature-18-year-Single-Malt-scotch-whisky-for-33-69

[ 2013-04-13, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: essasin ]

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

It might be one of the previous year bottlings. From what I understand they do one bottling per year, and usually change it every year. My local costco has some of last years bottling Macallan 15 Year Sherry Cask left, and this years bottling which is 20 Year Speyside Sherry Cask. The Macallan is a Speyside Distillery, so who knows...

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
These are my two old stand by's, not too pricey and damn good,

-

-

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

http://alexandermurray.com/index.html

Go here and just sit on the home page and allow the picture slide show to play through. You'll see plain as day that all of the Kirkland Speyside bottlings are in fact from The MaCallan Distillery. They probably removed the name from the bottle, so that they could bring in a lower price which is the way Alexander Murray & Co. does business.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

I havent yet tried anything from buffalo trace. The Glenlivet I am not a big fan of, but will likely come back to it and re-taste it later to see if my opinion has changed.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I havent yet tried anything from buffalo trace. The Glenlivet I am not a big fan of, but will likely come back to it and re-taste it later to see if my opinion has changed.

Yeah I know people who either love or hate Glenlivet it's always worked for me and as far as the Buffalo Trace as far as Bourbon goes if you try it and don't like it I would be very surprised I've converted Jack, Wild Turkey, Maker's and Bookers people all to Buffalo Trace. I personally don't buy any other American whiskey anymore.
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by fstryde3:
quote:

Yeah I know people who either love or hate Glenlivet it's always worked for me and as far as the Buffalo Trace as far as Bourbon goes if you try it and don't like it I would be very surprised I've converted Jack, Wild Turkey, Maker's and Bookers people all to Buffalo Trace. I personally don't buy any other American whiskey anymore.
So far I've tried many more bourbons than scotch'. The one thing that was disappointing about bourbons is that they have all tasted very similar. Scotch on the other hand is completely opposite. Every scotch I have tried is very different than the next. I have heard good things about Buffalo Trace, but have been reluctant to try it as a result of Bourbon being in a word... boring.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally not a fan of the Glenlivet myself. Not saying it's bad, just not my palate.
Currently tonight I have a nice (almost empty) bottle of Macallan director's edition which is smooth, not to peaty, and lot's of caramel to the finish. I don't like a lot of peat in my scotch personally but that changes with scotch like blue label with more smoke and light peat.
I'm going to look into the one at Costco that is made by Macallan because they are my personal favorite brand at the moment.
I'm out of Blue label anyways.
Good thread [dance]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
Personally not a fan of the Glenlivet myself. Not saying it's bad, just not my palate.
Currently tonight I have a nice (almost empty) bottle of Macallan director's edition which is smooth, not to peaty, and lot's of caramel to the finish. I don't like a lot of peat in my scotch personally but that changes with scotch like blue label with more smoke and light peat.
I'm going to look into the one at Costco that is made by Macallan because they are my personal favorite brand at the moment.
I'm out of Blue label anyways.
Good thread [dance]

I havent tried anything from MaCallan other than the Kirkland bottlings. They're good, especially at their price point, but I would be disappointed if I would have paid full MaCallan price for them. Roughly $80 for the 15 Year and $200+ for the 20 Year. Definitely a lot better Scotch out there for those price points. The Total Wine & More in Rocklin has a 30 Year MaCallan bottle for the low low price of $1199. I'd be far more inclined to buy a Glenfarclas 40 Year for 1/3 that price and after buying the 25 Year Glenfarclas I bet the 40 Year is nothing short of amazing. The Glenfarclas 25 Year is already on it's own playing field compared to what I've tasted. That's barring the Aberlour A'bunadh. So far the Aberlour is by far the best Scotch for the $. Only $60 for the Aberlour and it's damn good. It has a cotton candy like effect on the palate initially and finishes somewhat like a bourbon, but with more caramel and spice.

[ 2013-04-14, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Thinking about picking up a bottle today [Smile]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Finally picked up a bottle of Redbreast Irish Whiskey. It's really good. Reminds me of bourbon a little, but also has a scotch body to it

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

-

Finally picked up my own bottle of JW Gold Centenary Blend yum [Smile]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com