Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Owning a boat.... (Page 4)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Owning a boat....
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HIDNNOS did you hear that they pretty much opened all the resorts at berryessa.. I guess pleasure cove is running most of them.

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, not at all? My buddy keeps his boat in Markly Cove so I normally launch from there. Opened the resorts like they are up and running or just that you can launch from them? Free? To launch from Markley or Pleasure it's like $25 (if you don't have a hookup)

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
Owning a boat beats the hell out of throwing thousands at a car to go .5 seconds faster. Most fun ive had in years.

Question, How reliable are older boats? I see a couple decent sized ones for $4000-$5000 from the early 90s. Seems like a good start boat size for someone like me.

All in the boat you buy. Boats get bad reps from someone in your position buying a boat that has no clue what to look for, then getting nickle n dimed. Also, buy a book and learn to do all your OWN maintenance yourself. To take my twin engine Yamaha in to the dealer for oil changes to both engines they want between $500 and $800, NO JOKE. It takes an hour MAX, some mobil 1 oil, two $15 filters and a pump to suck the old oil out. Took me and a buddy an hour total which included alcoholic consumption in my driveway.
My 73 Tahitti I bought a Chilton "type" book and learned to take the top and bottom ends apart, change impellars, fluids etc. It broke down 1 time on the water where I was towed back, turned out nothing more than fouled the spark plugs (old ass boat, mixing oil/fuel and going through no wakes zones = no bueno over time.)
That being said, there is no better way to spend a day in the sun than on your boat floating in the water.......

-

-

-

-

Locked and loaded for a 48 hour camping trip, LOL. Bow is FULL of wood

-

Out of curiousity, What is the best strategy for beaching your boat without tearing anything up? Is it safe? I heard some of these lakes have little coves you can BBQ on

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Nautiques etc have fins on them in the center/middle, those can't be beached. Mine has what's called a KEEL guard, which is an extra pad running down the center for beaching. I only beach where I can see the ground, clear any big rocks or other things and it's never been a problem. Another option, is drop anchor about 30 feet off shore attached to a bungee line. Then back the boat to shore, let anyone off that wants off and attach a long rope of dock line to the back of the boat. Once you're all off, let the bungee line pull the boat back out to the lake, then when it's taught, tie that rope to something on shore like a shore spike. Then when you want back on you just pull the boat to you/shore, everyone gets on and you let the rope go and float back out. That way is generally if you're camping off shore overnight etc.
Sounds complicated but both are EASY to do. Always willing to lend a hand if you meet up at a lake I'm going to. I'm no expert and often learn from others or modify what others do to make things easier in my opinion.

--------------------

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
Owning a boat beats the hell out of throwing thousands at a car to go .5 seconds faster. Most fun ive had in years.

Question, How reliable are older boats? I see a couple decent sized ones for $4000-$5000 from the early 90s. Seems like a good start boat size for someone like me.

All in the boat you buy. Boats get bad reps from someone in your position buying a boat that has no clue what to look for, then getting nickle n dimed. Also, buy a book and learn to do all your OWN maintenance yourself. To take my twin engine Yamaha in to the dealer for oil changes to both engines they want between $500 and $800, NO JOKE. It takes an hour MAX, some mobil 1 oil, two $15 filters and a pump to suck the old oil out. Took me and a buddy an hour total which included alcoholic consumption in my driveway.
My 73 Tahitti I bought a Chilton "type" book and learned to take the top and bottom ends apart, change impellars, fluids etc. It broke down 1 time on the water where I was towed back, turned out nothing more than fouled the spark plugs (old ass boat, mixing oil/fuel and going through no wakes zones = no bueno over time.)
That being said, there is no better way to spend a day in the sun than on your boat floating in the water.......

-

-

-

-

Locked and loaded for a 48 hour camping trip, LOL. Bow is FULL of wood

-

Yeah, that's why I'm going to wait until next summer to get into something. Going to spend a couple months learning about different models and motors etc. I'll do all the maintenance myself on anything I get so I atleast got that covered.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Litteraly, save up and buy just after the season this year, you will save thousands!

--------------------

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The Nautiques etc have fins on them in the center/middle, those can't be beached. Mine has what's called a KEEL guard, which is an extra pad running down the center for beaching. I only beach where I can see the ground, clear any big rocks or other things and it's never been a problem. Another option, is drop anchor about 30 feet off shore attached to a bungee line. Then back the boat to shore, let anyone off that wants off and attach a long rope of dock line to the back of the boat. Once you're all off, let the bungee line pull the boat back out to the lake, then when it's taught, tie that rope to something on shore like a shore spike. Then when you want back on you just pull the boat to you/shore, everyone gets on and you let the rope go and float back out. That way is generally if you're camping off shore overnight etc.
Sounds complicated but both are EASY to do. Always willing to lend a hand if you meet up at a lake I'm going to. I'm no expert and often learn from others or modify what others do to make things easier in my opinion.

So basically I would need to buy an anchor buddy right? Sorry for the dumb questions. I'm kinda new to boating thanks for the info [patriot]

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

NO worries, what kind of boat do you have? Does yours have fins on the bottom middle of the boat?

This shot should help you. If you look close, infront of my boat is my shore spike, (with blue tube around it). I tie to that and trust me, boat isn't going ANYWHER with it attached. My buddy doesn't have one so he ties to anything on land that also isn't going to move. Both options are available, I like the shore spike so I never have to look for something solid:

-

This boat to the right has the fins so they can't beach, so they did exactly what I explained and were on/off all day all weekend

-

[ 2013-06-04, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
NO worries, what kind of boat do you have? Does yours have fins on the bottom middle of the boat?

This shot should help you. If you look close, infront of my boat is my shore spike, (with blue tube around it). I tie to that and trust me, boat isn't going ANYWHER with it attached. My buddy doesn't have one so he ties to anything on land that also isn't going to move. Both options are available, I like the shore spike so I never have to look for something solid:

-

My boat is the brown and white reinell 217 on page 3. I dont "think" it has fins on the bottom of it. With the shore spike in front, Your boat did'nt move around from side to side since it was not anchored in the back. i'm thinking about going to folsom and everybody is telling me to go to the coves and BBQ but i think I would need to beach my boat somehow to do it. Like I said, Im a rookie at this [Big Grin]

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

I knew "nothing" before starting this stuff last year when I got a boat. I learn by asking quesitons and observing what others do. Don't be shy, people on boats are way chill and willing to always lend a hand or answer a question.

Enjoy man, if you make it to Lake Sonoma or Berryessa let me know

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
My boat is the brown and white reinell 217 on page 3.

Oh yeah, that boat looks sick, I look forward to checking it out! btw, I know nothing about inboard/outboards so you have me trumped already even if you only know how to raise/lower it.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Will be on Lake Sonoma this Saturday if any of you want to make the drive. I'll be there with another member and his boat, we'll tie up somewhere to BBQ and kick a few back on the water! Anyone is welcome

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

-

-

-

My youngest was done on the way back to the dock

-

--------------------

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lake Don Pedro earlier this month
 -
Fyi i guess its really low tide in july? So the campsites are not steps away from the lake... [BS flag] and it was ridiculously hot, that we had to leave a day early

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

ALL lakes seem to be very low due to lack or rain we had. I loved it at the time because I've been boating EVERY month over the last year, but am paying for it now in low lakes [Frown] Having a jet boat isnt' as fun when the lakes are low cause they can suck up weeds etc. I haven't had that issue YET, but many people on the boards have.

--------------------

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like this rubbing it in topic!!! haha for all those land lovers!
friend had her jet ski out..
 -  -
 -

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was rippin it on the jetski with my wifes aunt (whom im not fond of lol) and when i hit the wake off some boat, she was doin cartwheels on the water....i smiled, then circled back to get her. Lmao

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
I like this rubbing it in topic!!! haha for all those land lovers! ]

True, but honestly, until you back a boat "YOU OWN" into a lake and chill for the day you really can't love it like a boat owner. My friends don't "get it" either. I litteraly have tried giving my Tahitti to friends to use with their families just so they get a taste of the relaxation, but they are worried about damage etc etc etc. In the end, I get it. Until I was "given" a boat I never had the love for it that I have now

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

Lake Oroville two weeks ago in the middle of the week. Just us and the fishermen and miles of glassy water.

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
 -

Lake Oroville two weeks ago in the middle of the week. Just us and the fishermen and miles of glassy water.

LUCKY ASS! I wanna check out Oroville, but more in the early summer/late spring. they let a lot of water out that lake.

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, July is about as late as I want to go. In this picture it's 80' down and dropping 1-2' per day. Be careful in the spring my Dad says there is a lot of logs in the water when the lake gets full. When it starts dropping they all stick to the side.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

My two boats and my buddies Nautique

-

Gotta love cleanup after a long trip

-

-

-

--------------------

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hell yeah don ! Amazing times at the lake ..Nothing like it .. always a good time !Don P  -

[ 2013-08-01, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Eddie510- ]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com