Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 1998-2002 LS1 Camaro's (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: 1998-2002 LS1 Camaro's
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay.., So I've been in the Mustang game a good while now, over 8 years and I have had them from mild to wild., I've had over 15 different foxbodies in various configurations, several SN's 5.0's/4.6's and also a very missed 2003 Cobra. All in all they are great but for the time and effort that goes into making them what I consider decent it takes alot of time and alot of money.., except for the termi's they come decently powered from the factory. Even with my supercharged foxbodies I felt that there was more to be desired. Being that it took an H/C/I and an S/C in my 5.0 just to be able to put the smokes on an LS1 Camaro. That being said for the kind of factory power that I am looking for ,,,, the only option in the mustang scene would be another 03/04 Cobra, the only thing is..., is that I am not looking to spend 15-20k for another one. So that's where I'm at , I have been considering the 4th gen Camaro because you can get 400+HP out of them with mere bolt-ons and all for less than 10k. there's a decommissioned 2002 CHP Camaro that I have been looking at for a good price and just want to hear what the other people on here who own LS cars have to say and what you guys think in comparison to mustangs.

Alright thanks.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes SOME are fast but lets just admit it they're fuckin gay.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Platinum Detail
¯
Member # 8026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Platinum Detail  Ford pictures for Platinum Detail  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you cant beat'em , join'em
I did, I love the six speed too

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well... a few things about them to note; they come with a SLA double A-arm front suspension and the rear has a torque arm/panhard rod setup... stock

considering the shortcomings of the MacPherson front and 4-link SRA rear in the Mustang usually lead to owners switching to a torque arm/panhard setup at some point... it's nice to have that technology stock.

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are fast stock, trap around 102 to 107+ with bolt ons.

There is no room for a passenger, or anything in the trunk. They dont handle near as good as you might think.

Things that break, everything is aluminum. Mine overheated once, was never the same ever again.

Driveshafts snap, torque arms tear at bolt holes, rearend weaker then a paper clip.

The 6spd is like heaven, you wont miss five speeds ever again. The trans 2nd gear synchros are similar to the t5, easy to break.

I got 30mpg consistently, and around 20 around town.

And all it takes is a cam to hit 400whp. Less then $1500 to gain 50whp.

They are heavy and you will notice it, but at end of the day a cars a car. Keep the fox, a properly setup fox is cheaper and faster every time.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:
Well... a few things about them to note; they come with a SLA double A-arm front suspension and the rear has a torque arm/panhard rod setup... stock

considering the shortcomings of the MacPherson front and 4-link SRA rear in the Mustang usually lead to owners switching to a torque arm/panhard setup at some point... it's nice to have that technology stock.

I'll be sure to keep note of that, there is several reasons why I have been considering a 4th gen Camaro and the main reasons are simply that they are more equipped from the factory with more performance oriented parts in comparison to the mustangs of the same time period.

[ April 11, 2012, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: RONIN ]

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Thanks Wrench, you have pointed out some good flaws that I will take into consideration.

quote:
Originally posted by Wrenchin:

There is no room for a passenger, or anything in the trunk. They dont handle near as good as you might think.

Things that break, everything is aluminum. Mine overheated once, was never the same ever again.

Driveshafts snap, torque arms tear at bolt holes, rearend weaker then a paper clip.

The 6spd is like heaven, you wont miss five speeds ever again. The trans 2nd gear synchros are similar to the t5, easy to break.

They are heavy and you will notice it, but at end of the day a cars a car. Keep the fox, a properly setup fox is cheaper and faster every time.

[ April 12, 2012, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: RONIN ]

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

quote:
Originally posted by Platinum Detail:
If you cant beat'em , join'em
I did, I love the six speed too

Lol, I hear ya. I personally like the six speeds also.
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LS1BRUH

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Vallejo707
¯
Member # 10296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vallejo707  Ford pictures for Vallejo707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my bro has one, it's a pain to work in the engine. ex: changing spark plugs if you have big hands it sucks. too me like 2 hours couldn't get the last spark plug in [Mad] lol

--------------------
PS3 Game Tag: BeAsVtown
Sold: 2007 Yamaha R6 "Candy"
Sold: 1989 Mustang Vert
Current: 2012 Mustang 5.0

Posts: 799 | From: Vallejo,Ca | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would look into a trans am ws6 instead they just look alot better [patriot]
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SwEeT 03 Gt:

+1

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SwEeT 03 Gt:

+1

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wrenchin:

Well said, also first thing I would recommend is getting yourself to the track for practice or suspension. It should not take H/C/I and an S/C to beat an LS1 (Depending on mods)

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RONIN:
Okay.., So I've been in the Mustang game a good while now, over 8 years and I have had them from mild to wild., I've had over 15 different foxbodies in various configurations, several SN's 5.0's/4.6's and also a very missed 2003 Cobra. All in all they are great but for the time and effort that goes into making them what I consider decent it takes alot of time and alot of money.., except for the termi's they come decently powered from the factory. Even with my supercharged foxbodies I felt that there was more to be desired. Being that it took an H/C/I and an S/C in my 5.0 just to be able to put the smokes on an LS1 Camaro. That being said for the kind of factory power that I am looking for ,,,, the only option in the mustang scene would be another 03/04 Cobra, the only thing is..., is that I am not looking to spend 15-20k for another one. So that's where I'm at , I have been considering the 4th gen Camaro because you can get 400+HP out of them with mere bolt-ons and all for less than 10k. there's a decommissioned 2002 CHP Camaro that I have been looking at for a good price and just want to hear what the other people on here who own LS cars have to say and what you guys think in comparison to mustangs.

Alright thanks.

You must be doing something wrong if it took a hci and a charger cause sic9250 and warhorse used to kill ss camaros and ws6's with bolt ons and they only had hci setups so id say back to the lab for you...

[ April 12, 2012, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: Big block 66 f100 ]

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

SAV650HAB
¯
Member # 10324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAV650HAB  Ford pictures for SAV650HAB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Wink] Edit: +1 on heading back to the lab cause thats just sad"

[ April 12, 2012, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: SAV650HAB ]

--------------------
SAVAGE HABITS 'CAR CLUB' VP 650/510/707/209
NOR-CAL KINGZ....... YAH 2 CHAINZ!!!!!!
"WE OUT HERE" 7th ST....STEP IT UP A NOTCH
88 coupe FTW!

Posts: 5091 | From: SHOREVIEW E.S SAN MATEO | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've always been into stangs but will for sure own a ls1 in this lifetime. Got a few buddys with ls1's and i cant hate on them they deff got a nice power plant and are real easy to make power with them and still be reliable. I'm more of a fan of the ws6's so if you decide to get the camaro i am sure you wont regret it they are fun cars. I love any car that make's power. [patriot] Good luck with your search playa. [burnout]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good ole Fbody ass whoopin days [Razz]

-

Justin remembers lol warhorse and I used to own bolt-on non cammed fbodys at the fri/sat night races in stockton...iron heads/e cam/and a pro-prod. Intake with a factory h pipe [burnout] back to the lab bud [patriot]

[ April 12, 2012, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ISP89LX:
I've always been into stangs but will for sure own a ls1 in this lifetime. Got a few buddys with ls1's and i cant hate on them they deff got a nice power plant and are real easy to make power with them and still be reliable. I'm more of a fan of the ws6's so if you decide to get the camaro i am sure you wont regret it they are fun cars. I love any car that make's power. [patriot] Good luck with your search playa. [burnout]

+100
[patriot]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Whoa Whoa now, don't get ahead of yourself fellas. I have had plenty of seat time, not at the track but on the streets for sure. The foxes I am speaking of had good suspension and great weight transfer. I said it took an H/C/I and s/c to "put the smokes on ls1 Camaro's" I'm talking bus lengths . I would still get some good runs in with only the H/C/I setup versus stock Ls1's but the ls1's with boltons and sticky tires were still faster. With the my s/c setup I was serving them left and right. But still for the amount of work to make a fox faster than an ls1 camaro is alot and not to say if you do the same mods to an ls1 the fox would look pathetic. Plain and simple ls1's have a better engine design and can maximze power better.
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

quote:
Originally posted by ISP89LX:

For sure Dooo, I like the ws6's too theyre just out my price range.
Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
Good ole Fbody ass whoopin days [Razz]

-

Justin remembers lol warhorse and I used to own bolt-on non cammed fbodys at the fri/sat night races in stockton...iron heads/e cam/and a pro-prod. Intake with a factory h pipe [burnout] back to the lab bud [patriot]

+1000000 [worship] [worship] [worship]

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He only LS1 I'd ever own is a WS6 or a C5... Cameros are just fugly!!! I've been considering picking up a 6-speed C5 for around 10k and H/C/I it putting most to shame... Plus the HUD on the windshield is DOPE [Big Grin]

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
He only LS1 I'd ever own is a WS6 or a C5... Cameros are just fugly!!! I've been considering picking up a 6-speed C5 for around 10k and H/C/I it putting most to shame... Plus the HUD on the windshield is DOPE [Big Grin]

[patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

SSF_5.0_WARRIOR
¯
Member # 10170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF_5.0_WARRIOR  Ford pictures for SSF_5.0_WARRIOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:

Yup, them cars are just ugly.. WS6's are alot nicer looking
[patriot] [patriot]

Posts: 952 | From: South San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2  3  4  ...  15  16  17   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com