Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » California SMOG is BS (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: California SMOG is BS
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2slow2go:
quote:
Originally posted by dirty money inc:
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
[Q. Don't let someone elses lack of knowledge slow you down.

AN WHY SHOULD A SMOG TECH HAVE TO LOOK YOUR AFTER MARKET PARTS TO MAKE SURE THERE LEGAL THAT ON THE OWNER OF THE CAR TO PROVE THAT IT'S LEGAL

Your a bitch. It's a fuckin smog techs job to know his shit. I feel sorry for your wife having to live with a bigger bitch then her [/QB]
Exactly.

It is a Tech's job to stay up to date and have in depth knowledge of the vehicles they come across. They should also have enough customer service to take the time to simply research an EO number for a customer, or at least tell them where to find the info instead of turning them away. If your going to be a half ass tech, don't be one at all. Hint Hint

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

AN WHY SHOULD A SMOG TECH HAVE TO LOOK YOUR AFTER MARKET PARTS TO MAKE SURE THERE LEGAL THAT ON THE OWNER OF THE CAR TO PROVE THAT IT'S LEGAL

Your a bitch. It's a fuckin smog techs job to know his shit. I feel sorry for your wife having to live with a bigger bitch then her [/QB]
Exactly.

It is a Tech's job to stay up to date and have in depth knowledge of the vehicles they come across. They should also have enough customer service to take the time to simply research an EO number for a customer, or at least tell them where to find the info instead of turning them away. If your going to be a half ass tech, don't be one at all. Hint Hint

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your a bitch. It's a fuckin smog techs job to know his shit. I feel sorry for your wife having to live with a bigger bitch then her

Exactly.

It is a Tech's job to stay up to date and have in depth knowledge of the vehicles they come across. They should also have enough customer service to take the time to simply research an EO number for a customer, or at least tell them where to find the info instead of turning them away. If your going to be a half ass tech, don't be one at all. Hint Hint [/QB]

THIS!

In general, I'd like to see people take more pride in their perspective jobs.

GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT FROM START TO FINISH

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
quote:

that's kind of like a PC repair tech refusing to remove the virus from your computer because your computer has a neon pink cooling fan with glowing lights inside it.

the neon pink fan does the exact same thing as the stock black fan, just like a gt40 intake does the exact same thing as the stock intake manifold. [/QB]

ok rephase for you why should go look up the parts you put on to if there legal for free if a car comes in to my shop with aftermarket parts i give 2 option get the paperwork or i am going to charge you 140 bucks to find for you my time is money
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

dude shut before i coming knocking on your mom's door an serve with a glass of shut the fuk up
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

ok luke an 50 deep it my job to smog your car that's it it's your job to make sure it's legal if not i can charge to go look up your after market parts to make sure there legal an the bar has no problem with charge for this service as long i tell you before i do it an get your permission to do the job so would you like to pay 140 bucks for to look it up or would like to look up for free yourself an come with you ducks in a row
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i dint get passed because of my gauges i snapped..i ripped off every piece of smog equipment no cats longtubes..no egr no nothing!!..it was the only way i could have peace [dance] [Cool]

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
quote:

that's kind of like a PC repair tech refusing to remove the virus from your computer because your computer has a neon pink cooling fan with glowing lights inside it.

the neon pink fan does the exact same thing as the stock black fan, just like a gt40 intake does the exact same thing as the stock intake manifold.

ok rephase for you why should go look up the parts you put on to if there legal for free if a car comes in to my shop with aftermarket parts i give 2 option get the paperwork or i am going to charge you 140 bucks to find for you my time is money [/QB]
it's your job to smog the car...so it's your job to know what is legal, and what isn't.

to put that another way, when you go to a restaurant and you order a burger, do you have to pay extra to get a bottle of ketchup to go with your fry's? No, it's part of the same service.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

quote:
Originally posted by 707notchback jaejae:
when i dint get passed because of my gauges i snapped..i ripped off every piece of smog equipment no cats longtubes..no egr no nothing!!..it was the only way i could have peace [dance] [Cool]

due failed for gauges that's bullshit right there

an jae jae on streetcar you should run a egr it keeps the cyl temp down

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

i block it off with a intake gasket..my upper/ lower intake runs pretty chill..i can live with increased combustion temps for a cooler air charge

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

i block it off with a intake gasket..my upper/ lower intake runs pretty chill..i can live with increased combustion temps for a cooler air charge
EGR doesn't do anything to rob power, at WOT it's completely closed.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best way to deal with smog is to keep it stock! [Big Grin]

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Delete

[ December 14, 2010, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous5.0  Ford pictures for Infamous5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look here fellas,

Smog Techs dont have no know what after market parts are legal/illegal. If the part doesnt look stock it better have a carb/eo# !!! if it doesnt than they have to fail you!! Its not their duty/responsiblity to look it up. In fact the tech has to smog and fail your vehicle eventhough he knows its not legal. Some techs are cool and will tell you right off the bat that you need to change a part or get an carb/eo number on it.

--------------------
To be or not to be

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Eek!] LMAO
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94 N.C.F. GT:
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
California should only care if the vehicle passes the sniffer test nothing else. The visual inspection is a complete joke

100% agree
+100000000!

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
ok luke an 50 deep it my job to smog your car that's it it's your job to make sure it's legal if not i can charge to go look up your after market parts to make sure there legal an the bar has no problem with charge for this service as long i tell you before i do it an get your permission to do the job so would you like to pay 140 bucks for to look it up or would like to look up for free yourself an come with you ducks in a row

Although I appreciate your take on it, that's a very procedural functionary sort of mentality. You have taken on a job that requires an ounce of additional thought/effort/initiative when something other than a bone stock car comes through your doors. If you can't utilize those skills to identify a CARB# and look it up in a reference book, this job may not be for you. But I suppose that as long as the state of CA does not come down on you, I can't blame you for turning away smog legal cars because they are not 100% bone stock and it would take you a little longer than usual to verify it.

It's frustrating for me that the state comes down on techs who perform illegal smogs, but they won't do the same to techs who refuse to smog legal cars

[ December 15, 2010, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
Originally posted by dirty money inc
: it my job to smog your car that's it it's your job to make sure it's legal

yes, it is your job to smog my car and it is my job to make sure it's legal. The part that you left out is that it is YOUR job to verify it's legal, right? Afterall, you aren't going to go off my verbal confirmation that everything is legal. Do your job right sir. Verify the parts. And stop with your $140 mumbo jumbo you pulled out of your ass. I do 100% agree with you that there is no harm in coming prepared with the CARB#s written out in advance to assist the tech and make his job easier.

quote:
Originally posted by Infamous5.0:
If the part doesnt look stock it better have a carb/eo# !!!

I agree with you there.

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
[Eek!] LMAO

N8, you are quite the instigator, lol.

[ December 14, 2010, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Luke and i few others. 50% of the problem IS what the state is doing to the smog tech's. or should i say what they (q&a guys)are holding over the heads of the smog techs.

let me put it this was we all know that a cobra intake is legal. BUT according to the q&a guy. The part has to have a # on it. Ok the smog tech says ok and smogs the car. Now if the q&a guy wants the he can fine the tech and take away his license. Now what happens to the smog guy???

I have been told by several techs up here by me if you are not 100% sure of a part on a car send the car to the ref. The state is trying to justify the ref system right now. One of the ways they do this IS by failing cars/ sending them to the ref.

[ December 14, 2010, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
Luke and i few others. 50% of the problem IS what the state is doing to the smog tech's. or should i say what they (q&a guys)are holding over the heads of the smog techs.

let me put it this was we all know that a cobra intake is legal. BUT according to the q&a guy. The part has to have a # on it. Ok the smog tech says ok and smogs the car. Now if the q&a guy wants the he can fine the tech and take away his license. Now what happens to the smog guy???

I have been told by several techs up here by me if you are not 100% sure of a part on a car send the car to the ref. The state is trying to justify the ref system right now. One of the ways they do this IS by failing cars/ sending them to the ref.

Jon, thanks for sharing the flip side. If the microscope is on at that level, then it's understandable that there would be incentive to turn a customer away if there is even an ounce of doubt. Perhaps it's more of a system flaw in that the system creates a situation where the tech has far more to lose than to gain by smogging a modified car.

--------------------
Stangless

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont blame the techs, I blame this stupid ass state! Whats even crazier is that I have a Mallory 685 ignition box installed and they want a CARB EO number for that. Didnt come with a sticker but I printed out the document of the arb site and they wouldnt take that either. The bottom line is this state just wantes more ways to make more money, and they are hitting us every way they can!

[ December 15, 2010, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Camara90 ]

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are trying to pass a law that all vehicles even classics have to be smogged.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Luke

The system is BROKEN. I havent smoged a car in years because of all the b/s. The whole system is about money and control. If the state had its way all the smog stations would be state run. There would be NO hot rodding.

Mike

I feel you on this one. What the state is doing is just wrong!!

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call or write the BAR if a smog shop refuses to smog your car or incorrectly fails it. I've done this on a number of occasions and it DOES help.
Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you guys know about smogging a diesel?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com