Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » HELP ASAP PLZ (IP ADDRESS) (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: HELP ASAP PLZ (IP ADDRESS)
its50
¯
Member # 4069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for its50  Ford pictures for its50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for whatever reason one day my internet just stopped working.so i call comcast thinking its something they could do to fix this problem.they reset my box and all the BS and still nothing.so i they have my check my ip address and they say it is invalid.just the night befor my comp was working fine as always.so they tell me that i have to contact microsoft to have them help me get a new ip address becasue 192,169,and 000 are all invalid and the 192 mean its looking for a wirless router or some shit.so i get conected with microsoft and they tell me its gonna be 39 bucks if they get the problem fixed.but im like fuck it at this point.and they couldnt even get this shit right.why?i have no clue.i know we got a few members of the geek squad that can help me out with this problem.so i can use my comcast and not pick up signal from someone around here.and yes i did have my wireless thingy off when i was doing all of this but still no luck.any info will help alot.thanks guys [patriot]
Posts: 940 | From: 510..fremont.. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
its50
¯
Member # 4069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for its50  Ford pictures for its50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
come guys i know some knows sumthing about computers....or how to get a new ipv4 address...
510vnum
¯
Member # 9106

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510vnum  Ford pictures for 510vnum    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u kno wat ido when my shit is trippin i disconnect all my wireless for a minute then connect back and it starts workin
Posts: 255 | From: oakland ca | Registered: Apr 2009  |  :
SantaClara_Cobra
¯
Member # 9488

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantaClara_Cobra  Ford pictures for SantaClara_Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it your modem or comcasts you might have a docsis 1 modem thats at end of life because everything is at least doc 2 how old is it also try pluging it directly to the comp and power cycle it also restart the comp if you are still having trouble send me a pm with your phone number on the account and i can look up your account and see what your upstream downstream on your modem is let me know ya btw i work for comcast
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Umm..comcast sucks. That is why they told you to go to Microsoft to get a new IP Address.

What kind of errors are you getting (if any)?

If you go under Start->Control Panel -> Network connections...what do you see?

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am not sure how MS can get you a new IP address. Are you using wireless internet? Did they have you go into your command prompt and do a "ipconfig /all" then "ipconfig /release" then "iconfig /renew"?

Also did you power cycle and reset the modem (2 diff things). If you are on wireless try using cable to connect. We need a lot more info to help you out.

SantaClara_Cobra
¯
Member # 9488

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantaClara_Cobra  Ford pictures for SantaClara_Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i always tell the customer to just pay the $2 insurance then make an appt because if it ends up not being comcast equipment then youll be charged but it could be the modem
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there a bunch of morons if you have a 192.168.x.x address then you are getting a address from the router.

First off to you have a router ( wireless router maybe? ) in front of the comcast modem or are you directly connected to the modem? If you have a router go into it and under the WAN or internet setting do a DHCP release and renew of the WAN. Also sometimes with comcast its good to power cycle both your modem and router, so unplug for about a minute ( if you have voice with the battery back up then you need to pull the battery ) and then plug the modem back in first and then your router and see if the router pulled a address.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
its50
¯
Member # 4069

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
I am not sure how MS can get you a new IP address. Are you using wireless internet? Did they have you go into your command prompt and do a "ipconfig /all" then "ipconfig /release" then "iconfig /renew"?

Also did you power cycle and reset the modem (2 diff things). If you are on wireless try using cable to connect. We need a lot more info to help you out.

i am wireless now but i do not have a router anymore.but i use to.i have a cable modem and it was working fine and all of a sudden one night it just stoped working.i mean it still gets power and all that but cant get online.i did do the iconfig and a few other things but nothing seem to have worked.when i was on the phone with comcast they reset my box and they said it was getting signal and everything seemed to be working as it should but they kept tellin me my ip address is whats keeping it from working..i even reset my entire computer and i still get nothing
its50
¯
Member # 4069

quote:
Originally posted by N8:

i am wireless now but i do not have a router anymore.but i use to.i have a cable modem and it was working fine and all of a sudden one night it just stoped working.i mean it still gets power and all that but cant get online.i did do the iconfig and a few other things but nothing seem to have worked.when i was on the phone with comcast they reset my box and they said it was getting signal and everything seemed to be working as it should but they kept tellin me my ip address is whats keeping it from working..i even reset my entire computer and i still get nothing
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Process of elimination:

Do you have a laptop or another computer nearby? Or borrow a friends laptop and connect it to your modem - Do they work? If so, then it has something to do with your computer (then let us know).

This will pin-point exactly where the cause of the problem is.

Ler us know

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
its50
¯
Member # 4069

i brought over my moms laptop and it still didnt work.
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by its50:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Well if you are wired directly to the modem you should not be getting assigned a 192.168.... IP. You may have to change your network settings on the computer. Are you running XP, Vista or Windows 7?
its50
¯
Member # 4069

vista SP1
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Well if you are wired directly to the modem you should not be getting assigned a 192.168.... IP. You may have to change your network settings on the computer. Are you running XP, Vista or Windows 7?
well not entirly depends on the comcast modem, alot of the new ones will give you a 10.1.10.x address now. Make sure you dont have a static address set on your computer.

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

You need some sort of router, why dont you have a router anymore?

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by liftedF150:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

well not entirly depends on the comcast modem, alot of the new ones will give you a 10.1.10.x address now. Make sure you dont have a static address set on your computer.
Yea I am thinking he has his network settings set to a IP and not "Obtain IP Automatically". Getting a 10.0.0.0 IP should not get him a 192.168.0.0.

Here is a write up. If you do this and you still have issues, maybe your card took a dump. But you should have it set to "Obtain IP Automatically". Comcast should have walked you through this part.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-TCP-IP-settings

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by liftedF150:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

You need some sort of router, why dont you have a router anymore?
Also do you physically have a cat 5 cable running from your modem to your computer right now? It almost sounds like you had a wireless router. You stopped using it. And may have picked up a neighbors signal for a bit. They axed it now you have no connection. But please tell me you had a cat 5 cable running from your modem to your computer all this time...lol

[ August 04, 2010, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: N8 ]

SantaClara_Cobra
¯
Member # 9488

True make sure it's obtaining automatically if not then it pretty much went back to at& t settings also check an see if you have a green a d amber light where your Ethernet plugs into

--------------------
18 Denali diesel
91 🦊

SantaClara_Cobra
¯
Member # 9488

N8 comcast doesn't walk you through thAt most of the time some techs won't even do it at the house they say it's customer equipment and if they do then they'll charge you that's why I told him to get the insurance and make an appt just in case they want to be jerks and charge em

[ August 04, 2010, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: SantaClara_Lx ]

--------------------
18 Denali diesel
91 🦊

its50
¯
Member # 4069

i did have a router when i lived wit my mom but she moved and took the router with her.so when i had the cable installed they brought me a modem and i have it directly to my laptop.there was a little box that popped up and said get new ip adress automatically but when i click that it does nothing...
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
i did have a router when i lived wit my mom but she moved and took the router with her.so when i had the cable installed they brought me a modem and i have it directly to my laptop.there was a little box that popped up and said get new ip adress automatically but when i click that it does nothing...

Did you do what was outlined in the linkk I sent?
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like someone already posted, if you have a 192.168.x.x address, you're pulling that from your router most likely from DHCP. DHCP has a range of internal IP's for you to connect your systems through. It sounds like your modem is the problem, or whatever Comcast uses to connect you up with.

Have them remote into their modem/equipment inside your house to troubleshoot it.

Or, since it sounds like you're getting an IP, maybe the Defaut Gateway on your router has changed or got messed up. Without that, you won't be able to get out to the net. Your default gateway should be, in most cases, the IP of the modem/equipment Comcast installed.

From a command line {start, run, cmd), type in ipconfig and that should show you your DG's IP.

--------------------
SOLD!!! 7/07
Supercharged 92GT
352rwhp [old blower w/3 1/2lbs]
???rwhp w/S-Trim

2010 Acura MDX Tech/Entertainment
2013 Acura TL SH-AWD

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
32VSTANG
¯
Member # 9803

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for 32VSTANG  Ford pictures for 32VSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy new computer/laptop lol problem solved
its50
¯
Member # 4069

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

Did you do what was outlined in the linkk I sent?
no when i seen it i was at work.i will let you know how it goes.lol

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com