Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » HELP ASAP PLZ (IP ADDRESS) (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: HELP ASAP PLZ (IP ADDRESS)
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by castor:
Like someone already posted, if you have a 192.168.x.x address, you're pulling that from your router most likely from DHCP. DHCP has a range of internal IP's for you to connect your systems through. It sounds like your modem is the problem, or whatever Comcast uses to connect you up with.

Have them remote into their modem/equipment inside your house to troubleshoot it.

Or, since it sounds like you're getting an IP, maybe the Defaut Gateway on your router has changed or got messed up. Without that, you won't be able to get out to the net. Your default gateway should be, in most cases, the IP of the modem/equipment Comcast installed.

From a command line {start, run, cmd), type in ipconfig and that should show you your DG's IP.

Yup, problem is with the modem or the Comcast provided product.

Troubleshooting your TCP/IP settings isn't going to help him N8 - He said he has tried another laptop and samething so obviously the problem is in the network.

Most likely as what Castor described, either DHCP is not sending out IP or something to do with how the DNS/default gateway is pointing.

Definetly Comcast related, i suggest calling them back and speak with someone with a little more knowledge.

[ August 05, 2010, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: AL STOCK ]

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
quote:
Like someone already posted, if you have a 192.168.x.x address, you're pulling that from your router most likely from DHCP. DHCP has a range of internal IP's for you to connect your systems through. It sounds like your modem is the problem, or whatever Comcast uses to connect you up with.

Have them remote into their modem/equipment inside your house to troubleshoot it.

Or, since it sounds like you're getting an IP, maybe the Defaut Gateway on your router has changed or got messed up. Without that, you won't be able to get out to the net. Your default gateway should be, in most cases, the IP of the modem/equipment Comcast installed.

From a command line {start, run, cmd), type in ipconfig and that should show you your DG's IP.

Troubleshooting your TCP/IP settings isn't going to help him N8 - He said he has tried another laptop and samething so obviously the problem is in the network.

Most likely as what Castor described, either DHCP is not sending out IP or something to do with how the DNS/default gateway is pointing.

Definetly Comcast related, i suggest calling them back and speak with someone with a little more knowledge.

Not true, what if the other laptop had its IP set statically? He still should check. How could his modem be setting his IP to an internal one such as 192....? Do the new modems handle DHCP now? To troubleshoot further without checking his settings is kinda ridiculous.

OP when you do a ipconfig /all what do you see? He stated earlier that Comcast was able to communicate with his modem. So that tells me he is getting his subnet and appropriate IP to the modem. Its communication to the computer that is the issue. And unless his modem handles DHCP (which it could) I am not sure how he is getting a 192 addy.

[ August 05, 2010, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: N8 ]

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:

Not true, what if the other laptop had its IP set statically? He still should check. How could his modem be setting his IP to an internal one such as 192....? Do the new modems handle DHCP now? To troubleshoot further without checking his settings is kinda ridiculous.

OP when you do a ipconfig /all what do you see? He stated earlier that Comcast was able to communicate with his modem. So that tells me he is getting his subnet and appropriate IP to the modem. Its communication to the computer that is the issue. And unless his modem handles DHCP (which it could) I am not sure how he is getting a 192 addy.

I suggest keeping it simple:

1. Borrow a friends laptop who or neighbors laptop (chances are DHCP is enabled and not static) and see if it works with his home network. If not then it's network related.

2. If network, the call Comcast back and speak with someone ELSE, chances are the Comcast tech guy was a rookie. I deal with Microsoft Engineers (Exchange Admin, Pro business support etc etc) all day and i've been through rookies to elite engineers (Microsoft, Apple, Dell etc)

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:

How could his modem be setting his IP to an internal one such as 192....? Do the new modems handle DHCP now?
It will also help if he can post the model of the modem, is it one of those Motorola Surfboards?

--------------------

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:

I suggest keeping it simple:

1. Borrow a friends laptop who or neighbors laptop (chances are DHCP is enabled and not static) and see if it works with his home network. If not then it's network related.

2. If network, the call Comcast back and speak with someone ELSE, chances are the Comcast tech guy was a rookie. I deal with Microsoft Engineers (Exchange Admin, Pro business support etc etc) all day and i've been through rookies to elite engineers (Microsoft, Apple, Dell etc)

not true if he is having a router issue ( or lack there of ) then he will not get a address on either computer and its not the comcast modem. If the OP would give us the IPConfig we can help you out more but right now this is all just speculation..

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
castor
¯
Member # 2765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for castor  Ford pictures for castor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep it simple. Check to see what your IP address, Subnet, DG are. If that's all correct, I'm gonna guess it's your DNS settings.

A simple way of verifying if it's DNS, is to try and get to a site, such as Google.com, by it's IP Address of http://74.125.157.104/. If you type that into your browser instead of www.google.com, and the site comes up, it's your DNS entries.

Try it!

[ August 05, 2010, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: castor ]

Posts: 1457 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Waiting on the OPs responses to what others have requested....

[ August 05, 2010, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: AL STOCK ]

--------------------

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

its50
¯
Member # 4069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for its50  Ford pictures for its50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok here we go if i forget guys sorry long day at work.company is in the process for moving..but the model of moden is arris...i typed in that number and it keeps going to google.lastnight on my way home i stoped by wall mart and bought a router just for the hell of it to see what will happen but couldnt finsh set up because it said somethin about a static adress or something.cant remember exactly and N8 still didnt try what u told me i have been real limited to time and being that im picking up signal from someone else sometimes it doesnt work .lol thanks guys ..imma call comcast and speak to someone else cause there has to be something they can do because i call the tech line for the net gear router and he told me i need to call them to..just havnt had enough time but i gotta get this fix asap..thanks again [patriot]
Posts: 940 | From: 510..fremont.. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since my post got erased when the site rolled back here you go:

When it asks you to put a static address in just put 0.0.0.0 as the IP 255.255.255.0 as subnet mast and 0.0.0.0 for all other fields following. you have to get past the initial setup i just did this the other day. It will then pull a DHCP address from the comcast modem.

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com