Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Cocaine Law sentencing (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cocaine Law sentencing
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ending a decade-long campaign led by African-American lawmakers, the House Wednesday approved and sent to President Barack Obama a measure to reduce the disparity in penalties between use of crack and powder cocaine.

Under a 25-year-old law, mandatory minimum sentences involving crack cocaine -- a drug more commonly used by blacks than whites -- led to far more severe penalties than for offenses involving powder cocaine, generally preferred by whites.

"The Fair Sentencing Act will reduce sentencing disparity between crack and powder cocaine from 100-to-1 to 18-to-1," said Congressman John Conyers, D-Michigan, who applauded the passage.

Conyers said the crack mandatory sentences had pushed the number of drug offenders in federal prisons from fewer than 5,000 in 1980 to nearly 100,000 in 2009.

The law drops the five-year mandatory sentence for first time offenders, and for repeat offenders with less than 28 grams of crack. Current law sets the mandatory sentence for conviction at five grams.

Support for reducing the disparity with powder cocaine offenders increased with reports beginning in 2002 by the U.S. Sentencing Commission calling for Congress to change the crack cocaine law. The commission is independent agency in the judicial branch that develops national sentencing policy for the federal courts.

The House measure, passed on a voice vote with bipartisan support, follows passage by the Senate in March.

President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder had both pressed for passage of the law.

"This day was long in coming," said Holder. He said the bill will "go a long way toward ensuring that our sentencing laws are tough, consistent, and fair."

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus had led the battle for passage for 10 years. Holder also singled out key Republicans including Sens. Jeff Sessions, R-Alabama, and Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, who had joined with Democrats. Conyers tipped his hat to House GOP members Dan Lungren, R-California, James Sensenbrenner, R-Wisconsin, and Ron Paul, R-Texas, for their support.

Not all Republicans joined the majority, however.

The top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee Lamar Smith, R-Texas, argued vigorously shortly before passage that to reduce the crack cocaine penalties would be a serious mistake.

"Reducing the penalties for crack cocaine could expose our neighborhoods to the same violence and addiction that caused Congress to act in the first place," Smith said. "Crack cocaine is associated with a greater degree of violence than most other drugs. And more than any other drug, the majority of crack defendants have prior criminal convictions," Smith said.

The White House is expected to schedule a presidential signing ceremony within a month.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/28/house.drug.penalties/index.html

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
People on powder party and people on crack break my fuckin window and steal change.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
bigjerry
¯
Member # 6033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigjerry  Ford pictures for bigjerry  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Till next month ill remain hiding the 28 grams of coke in my nose.

--------------------
89 GT vert in progress ....

Posts: 433 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will know in 5 years if it's a good idea.... I'm for rehab if people want it. But so e people do need to be locked up.
I don't care if your high on crack or not, if you rob someone,rape or attack someone you need to spend some serious time in jail.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Slowback67:
Will know in 5 years if it's a good idea.... I'm for rehab if people want it. But so e people do need to be locked up.
I don't care if your high on crack or not, if you rob someone,rape or attack someone you need to spend some serious time in jail.

A good idea for? Do you feel like a person who does crack or sells it should be in jail longer than a person who rapes a child? While a person who does cocaine should get probation? Do you think we as a country should pay 40k+ a year for a person to be in jail who has a drug issue?

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 306Coupe:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slowback67:
[qb] Will know in 5 years if it's a good idea.... I'm for rehab if people want it. But so e people do need to be locked up.

A good idea for?
Do you feel like a person who does crack or sells it should be in jail longer than a person who rapes a child?
No: if you rape a chid you should get killed, quickly after the trial.
While a person who does cocaine should get probation?
No: If your caught with any one of the hard drugs ( coke, meth, heroin...) you should do time. When your locked up you can have the chance to get clean/treatment. Then if you fuck up after you get out, your gonna be lock up a long time.

Do you think we as a country should pay 40k+ a year for a person to be in jail who has a drug issue?
No: I would love to see people change their lives and quit doing drugs. But some people don't want to. The ones that can't get clean need to stay locked up. Especially the ones that commit violent crimes to get money for their drug of choice.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes because they are junkies, this is something they chose in the first place. Who doesnt know that your supposed to say NO to drugs?
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

I personally feel a drug addict shouldn't waste my tax dollars sitting in jail, unless you are commiting other crimes. Our jails are already over crowded. Also there shouldn't be any difference in sentencing over which brand of coke a person is using just like there is no difference in sentencing for weed types (bammer)

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I personally feel a drug addict shouldn't waste my tax dollars sitting in jail, unless you are commiting other crimes. Our jails are already over crowded. Also there shouldn't be any difference in sentencing over which brand of coke a person is using just like there is no difference in sentencing for weed types (bammer)

so you want drug addicts to be out on the streets committing crimes to support their habits?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

so you want drug addicts to be out on the streets committing crimes to support their habits?
not all addicts commit crimes, use the 40k a year we pay for each non violet addict and get them some serious help

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Possession and using drugs is a crime that taxpayer money is paying for
Let them rot

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it cheaper to have someone on welfare for a year or in jail for a year. shit i have no opinion on this though

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YAY Obama just earned the crack addict vote! This country is getting so f'n sad we got our boys and girls getting blown up in Afghanistan, we got homeless moms and kids on our streets and we have hard working people busting their asses just to keep their homes which aren't worth a damn right now and our so called president and congress worried about getting rid of sentencing disparities for CRACKHEADS! Great demonstration of priorites and use of resources.
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yay...crackheads....honestly that drug is a dirtyass fuck..other than tree any man made drug needs to be looked at more cuz peolpe go to the extent to get that shit...crackhead status...makes people steal and even kill to get a fix...

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fstryde3:
YAY Obama just earned the crack addict vote! This country is getting so f'n sad we got our boys and girls getting blown up in Afghanistan, we got homeless moms and kids on our streets and we have hard working people busting their asses just to keep their homes which aren't worth a damn right now and our so called president and congress worried about getting rid of sentencing disparities for CRACKHEADS! Great demonstration of priorites and use of resources.

I hear what your saying but this in turn saves mo ey by not having these feens in jail taking up our hard earned tax dollars

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:

I wish people weren't so ignorant, republicans voted for it as a majority. Stop bringing shit in the conversation that has nothing to do with anything

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

I wish people weren't so ignorant, republicans voted for it as a majority. Stop bringing shit in the conversation that has nothing to do with anything
First of all go F yourself second of all you want to talk about ignorance WTF was the point of posting this in the first place? Did you consider this decision a victory for all Crackheads or just you?
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
quote:
quote:

First of all go F yourself second of all you want to talk about ignorance WTF was the point of posting this in the first place? Did you consider this decision a victory for all Crackheads or just you?
Since you are obviously part of the uneducated, Fox lovely side... the point of posting this was pure facts, not once did you hear me bring up political parties and such. You also didn't see me saying how the law was targeted towards inner city either. Your posts have all looked the same... it always goes "F Obama...blah blah blah..... Read posts before posting your ignorant, bias, nothing to do with the topic comments. I don't mind someone disagreeing with me, but at least be educated and actually have a valid point.

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Since you are obviously part of the uneducated, Fox lovely side... the point of posting this was pure facts, not once did you hear me bring up political parties and such. You also didn't see me saying how the law was targeted towards inner city either. Your posts have all looked the same... it always goes "F Obama...blah blah blah..... Read posts before posting your ignorant, bias, nothing to do with the topic comments. I don't mind someone disagreeing with me, but at least be educated and actually have a valid point.
I brought up Obama because he is the Prez and I said Congress didn't say which party, and I thought I made a point which I clearly stated as being that we have way more important things to worry about then sentencing for crack. I believe I said all of that in my first post. And if my posts are all the same you're right cause I see this country headed in the wrong direction more and more everyday and I see what drugs do to families, individuals and the community on a daily but I fail to see how reducing sentences for crack will have any impact on crime or prison population in the US.

[ July 30, 2010, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: fstryde3 ]

306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

I still don't see how if the majority of republicans voted for it, how was it..." great crackheads for Obama"...

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

quote:
I still don't see how if the majority of republicans voted for it, how was it..." great crackheads for Obama"...

Again he's the Prez that is the only reason I said it, if you'd like I will retract my initial statement and say YAY Obama AND Congress just earned THEMSELVES the CRACKHEAD vote! Again I don't care about what party it is or it isn't I'm not down with any politician as this nation currently stands. I believe the politicians need to focus on more important issues in this country.
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

quote:
quote:

Again he's the Prez that is the only reason I said it, if you'd like I will retract my initial statement and say YAY Obama AND Congress just earned THEMSELVES the CRACKHEAD vote! Again I don't care about what party it is or it isn't I'm not down with any politician as this nation currently stands. I believe the politicians need to focus on more important issues in this country.
until the november elections, congress will not pass any additional bills of any real importance

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

quote:
quote:
quote:

until the november elections, congress will not pass any additional bills of any real importance
Sad but very true.
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Huh?

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com